UPDATE - 2000 - 24/10/11 | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

UPDATE - 2000 - 24/10/11

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Norwich City deserve acknowledgement too for climbing to the Premiership whilst starting from a weak financial position, although not in Administration.[/quote]

The club we should aim to emulate. Rural club like us but with 23,000? approx. season ticket holders even when down in League 1.

argylepaul

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jul 15, 2008
Bromley
jerryatricjanner":jc2t2f9m said:
Norwich City deserve acknowledgement too for climbing to the Premiership whilst starting from a weak financial position, although not in Administration.

The club we should aim to emulate. Rural club like us but with 23,000? approx. season ticket holders even when down in League 1.[/quote]

I have been waiting since the mid 1970s for Argyle to be in that position, and saying for ages that we should be like that -as we all have! How many people in their mid-40s and over are saying and thinking the same thing as me?
PAFC's similarity with Norwich ends with its 'out on a limb location', and the fact they are both citys. And there's a bit of green in Norwich's kit.
Argyle will never ever get to where Norwich are. Not now! Not ever! It if was going to happen, it would have happened by now.
Argyle would never get 23000+ season ticket holders paying full price like Norwich did in League One! Don't be daft!
All Plymouthians want is to see Wayne Rooney at Home Park in the FA Cup. Then, everyone has been a fan all their life, as they clamour to get tickets!
If we had 16.500 averages in the Championship. Why have we lost over 10,000 of them now? Where are the 20,000 who packed in for the visits of Leeds, etc?
As they are nowhere to be seen now, how can you say we can be like Norwich City?

Where were all the big fish when Argyle were in peril a few months back? Did we get the Russian mega rich? No. We got peed around by people who couldn't come up with the bare minimum.
You need huge investment, and where is that going to come from? Why is the Russian oil baron choosing Bournemouth over Plymouth?
Forget the Brent deal, etc. He would have taken Bournemouth over Plymouth anyway, because it is nearer to London, and that club is seemed to have more potential than Plymouth Argyle. How sad is that? Plymouth hasn't even got an airport anymore!

In 1976, we had a chance to accumulate with Paul Mariner, and we sold him - we got relegated!
We had our chance a few years ago with Buszacky, E-Blake, Norris, etc - near the PL play-offs, and we blew it! We ended up getting relegated twice, and there will be a third, and hammer blow relegation to the BSP! (If we don't quickly do something about it!)
Plymouth like Norwich City...sorry, that is utter bollocks!
I am sorry if people don't like to see the negative on here, but it's reality!
As much as I would dearly love to see Argyle finally exploiting that potential, it is not going to happen. I hope I am proved wrong, and someone will highlight this post if it happens, and I will gladly look and feel a twxt.
But, I will always support Plymouth Argyle, in whatever league they play in! :scarf:

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Where the hell did all that crowd attendance money go to in those days..........the previous regime have so much to answer for...........Accountants among the Directors as well..........did their businesses go bust as well as PAFC........you bet they didn't......... we still don't fully relize how low they brought this club......and how long it will take us to recover to the mid-2000's position that we so much enjoyed.

Aug 26, 2009
Plympton
Such a good post argyle paul and so very very true. I have been waiting way over 60 years for the promised land and, perhaps a little understandably, I am becoming a little bored.

Still, as a total Argyle nut, hope springs eternal. Maybe one day, eh!

argylepaul

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jul 15, 2008
Bromley
victor":1wpnp9y4 said:
Such a good post argyle paul and so very very true. I have been waiting way over 60 years for the promised land and, perhaps a little understandably, I am becoming a little bored.

Still, as a total Argyle nut, hope springs eternal. Maybe one day, eh!
Victor. It's so frustrating watching Argyle for all these years. :banghead: Great, great memories, but it could have been better. I get so frustrated, you can tell by my use of language. What is really galling now, is seeing all these players in the PL: Mackie, Buzsacky, E-Blake, and even Noone, Barnes and Wright Phillips, and thinking they should still be with Argyle, and we should be in the Championship. I would be content enough with that level of football, and matching up to Derby, M'Boro and West Ham, like Brighton were last night - the Brighton team who had Noone and Barnes! Brighton even had Ryan Harley: Exeter's best player, who ought to have moved to us, and probably would have had we consolidated in the C'ship.

R

Rupert

Kevin_Gollop":ls3xka78 said:
Greenblooded1":ls3xka78 said:
"It has been almost two decades since the Football League last watched one of its members die"

Big night for the Aldershot diehards who resurrected a club

Link not working, try this one:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 75461.html

A lot of the detail in that article is scarily familiar.

Leigh Cooper played for Aldershot FC in their last Football League game at Cardiff.

As for Aldershot Town FC, I went to write about them in 1992. Thanks to this wonderful worldwide webby thing, I can read what I wrote for the first time in 19 years!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 41636.html

As I recall, it felt no different to going there for a Football League game. Same ground, good attendance levels, and, as this week's story in The Indy states, a team far better than Isthmian Division Three standard. I don't think any club having to do the same thing and start again from scratch now would be as lucky, even if they can keep their ground. Finances would see to that...

Sorry for straying way off topic...