Watford FA Cup Semi Final 1984 | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Watford FA Cup Semi Final 1984

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Travelled up on the train from Slough.
My abiding memories are of how colourful the crowd was in the sunshine, green, white and black contrasting with yellow & red. Also, being squashed in the Holte End near the dividing line with the Watford fans singing " Does your missus know you're queer?" to Elton John.

May 14, 2004
PLYMOUTH
great day out travelled up with one Dave Creber in a metro - abiding memories for me passing cans of beer between cars at 60mph 3 deep :shock: getting overtaken by a reliant robin :eek: and ending up on the wrong road having left villa park and being surrounded by watford coaches 8) bloody great day though !!

Sep 18, 2009
26 years is a long time isn't it, I remember Reilly's goal from Barnes's cross and seem to remember that they nearly scored again just after. I was right behind the goal and had a clear view as Hodges's shot scraped the post, nearly in tears at the end but was really proud of the boys.

Police horses at he game was a bit of a novelty for me in those days - I also remember winning some beer in the coach raffle on the way back.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Ian S":3c77d875 said:
I was there - great day. I was also there at Southend where they had a banner out side on the wall saying "First steps to Wembley" how I laughed at that!!!

Also went to league game the following Monday or Tuesday up North somewhere (Barnsley?). That had to be the most surreal experience from 30,000 fans to 30 (well maybe fifty to a hundred - but you get the picture). Got some free tickets from the teams coach driver though.

Regards,

Bolton Wanderers on the Monday and we lost 2-1.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":3uzvy7zm said:
4897392110_1dd5047815.jpg

4897395022_55837948b7.jpg

I'm in the Beacon shirt.

Here's another 'crew' (Hello boys!! :))

4897398696_f07b6fcdbf_z.jpg

R.I.P Golly and Gary Davies. :(

OMG..... that's about 40p per litre!

B

bandwagon

IJN":3sp6ondf said:
4897392110_1dd5047815.jpg

4897395022_55837948b7.jpg

I'm in the Beacon shirt.

Here's another 'crew' (Hello boys!! :))

4897398696_f07b6fcdbf_z.jpg

R.I.P Golly and Gary Davies. :(

Gary Davies, good old Whitleigh boy - can't see Geoff his brother in the shot!!

Y2J

Dec 28, 2004
Cornwall
Jeez, you can tell it was the 80s. :)

I have no memory of the game unfortunately because I didn't arrive in the world for another three years.

N

NorfolkGreen

Those photos are brilliant, I was sure the 80's were cool, but might need to rethink my position after that Cortina!

Life on Mars it ain't

Nov 27, 2009
Plymouth.
In 1984 i was an Arsenal supporter and still am so was not involved in this. I moved to Plymouth from Gosport in 1986 and have raised Plymouth born and bred Argyle fans and adopted the club myself so have 24 years of green memories.

Funnily enough my favourite cup game was at home to Everton when we drew and the replay at Goodison when we took so many coaches i lost count of them and Summers had his leg broken early on.

My worst was when i tried and failed to break the link to Arsenal by travelling to Highbury when the Argyle fans were crushed in like sardines, i left at half time as it felt so weird.

The good news is that Arsenals move to the Emirates and Argyles cup visit there was entirely different and i cheered Duguids goal like a mad man.

Proof that you can support two clubs although i know i will get slated by some. Not bothered though both clubs have given me a total of 51 years of ups and downs.

COYG and Gunners :)

Nov 27, 2009
Plymouth.
IJN":2nya15qh said:
I bet you bought one of 'those' scarves, didn't you?

:)

I found it easy to resist buying one of those, i somehow felt they patronised Argyle and i am not getting involved in that. It was a proud day for me at the Emirates sat with my lads chattering away in their best janner accents and realising my conversion was complete.

Wouldn't change a thing and plan on seeing Argyle in the premiership, at 51 i reckon I've got another 20 or so chances. :)

Dec 1, 2008
North London
My goodness what a day that was (long extended weekend) - I was 14y/o and my dad drove, we hired a Sierra for the weekend - was brilliant as was a wicked car for the time and we had a Morris Marina at home.

Remember the game well - 12th/13th minute where the damage was done. Shamefully, remember Barnes got a lot of verbal abuse - and so pleased that nonsense is no longer heard these days - not a Plymouth thing but general the at the time. Of course the Hodgey miss is memorable, but anyone remember the corner where Tynan got his head to it and hit the fullback, who was standing on the goaline and bounced between his legs (on the line) and came out (it was the FB whom we loaned from Watford, 1 of 2, the month before and returned to Watford few days befores the Semi - Neil ????? I think). Devastated at the end and back in time to wach highlights on Match of the Day - stillo got the game on video - fortunately taped on "SCOTCH - "re-record not fade away"

Was a great day and occassion - but must say Derby AWAY Qtr Final replay was also very special - did that journey in the Morris Marina -