What is Ryan Lowe's greatest attribute? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What is Ryan Lowe's greatest attribute?

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
Next season will surely be the defining one for Lowe's managerial career so far.

He won promotion from L2 with Bury, then repeated it a year later with Argyle. This season we've stayed up with a couple of games to spare and, whatever the doomongers say, never seriously looked like candidates for relegation. We even flirted with the playoffs earlier in the year.

At times we played fantastic attacking football and beat some of the best in the division. But at others, time after time and far too often, we defended shambolically in a way which would have embarrassed the U10s I used to coach. Lowe and his coaching staff seemed unable to sort this out, even if to all of us watching it seemed blindingly obvious as it smacked us between the eyes.

It's all or nothing with Ryan Lowe. He doesn't do boring or mundane and I applaud him for that. Great attacking football when things are going well, but a shambolic leaking of goals when the wheels come off, heads drop and we literally throw games away.

For all the criticism, Lowes position was never going to be under threat so long as he secured us L1 football for next season, and he's succeeded in that. But next season will be very different. He knows the standard, crowds will be back, he'll have refreshed the squad and the demands and expectation will be significantly higher than this season. I hope he succeeds, I really do, because imho he's the biggest breath of fresh air we've had at the club since the early days of the Hollway era. But we all know how that ended.

Sep 2, 2008
FourMarksGreen":2s016cm9 said:
Next season will surely be the defining one for Lowe's managerial career so far.

He won promotion from L2 with Bury, then repeated it a year later with Argyle. This season we've stayed up with a couple of games to spare and, whatever the doomongers say, never seriously looked like candidates for relegation. We even flirted with the playoffs earlier in the year.

At times we played fantastic attacking football and beat some of the best in the division. But at others, time after time and far too often, we defended shambolically in a way which would have embarrassed the U10s I used to coach. Lowe and his coaching staff seemed unable to sort this out, even if to all of us watching it seemed blindingly obvious as it smacked us between the eyes.

It's all or nothing with Ryan Lowe. He doesn't do boring or mundane and I applaud him for that. Great attacking football when things are going well, but a shambolic leaking of goals when the wheels come off, heads drop and we literally throw games away.

For all the criticism, Lowes position was never going to be under threat so long as he secured us L1 football for next season, and he's succeeded in that. But next season will be very different. He knows the standard, crowds will be back, he'll have refreshed the squad and the demands and expectation will be significantly higher than this season. I hope he succeeds, I really do, because imho he's the biggest breath of fresh air we've had at the club since the early days of the Hollway era. But we all know how that ended.

Not sure about that. Lowe himself has said that our recent slump is actually relegation form and he was twitching a bit himself up until recently.

Also, we need to dispel this myth about him not knowing the standard in league 1. He took over as player-manager of Bury in the January for a second time and was actually playing in league one for the first part of that season as player-coach so to suggest he didn't know the standard is misleading. He was at the helm when Bury were relegated and he was almost in the same position with us.

For me his greatest asset is sales. He's managed to sell himself to our Chairman and I think its safe to say that he has managed to also sell himself to the majority of fans. I actually think he could sell sand to Saudi Arabia. Imo, he is all front and very little substance. A man who is very comfortable with telling you what you want to hear.

Jul 12, 2016
Pottypilgrim":1y4w9x2x said:
FourMarksGreen":1y4w9x2x said:

Not sure about that. Lowe himself has said that our recent slump is actually relegation form and he was twitching a bit himself up until recently.

Also, we need to dispel this myth about him not knowing the standard in league 1. He took over as player-manager of Bury in the January for a second time and was actually playing in league one for the first part of that season as player-coach so to suggest he didn't know the standard is misleading. He was at the helm when Bury were relegated and he was almost in the same position with us.

For me his greatest asset is sales. He's managed to sell himself to our Chairman and I think its safe to say that he has managed to also sell himself to the majority of fans. I actually think he could sell sand to Saudi Arabia. Imo, he is all front and very little substance. A man who is very comfortable with telling you what you want to hear.
Your second paragraph says it all.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
I see from anther topic that we've conceded more goals at home than in any previous season.

Another achievement to go with his equaling of the worst home defeat which more than 30 managers before him had failed to achieve.

Perhaps the revolving door on the Hillsborough manager's office will soon open again with them looking odds-on for relegation & I'm hoping they'll be daft enough to make him the next temporary incumbent.

Jul 27, 2005
Plymouth
The January transfer window saw Lowe ship out Wootton, Canavan, Nouble and Telford. Replacements for them were restricted to Woods and Ennis, but this wasn't enough. Was it because of lack of player availability, lack of budget or unwillingness to overpay for targets?

When the window closed, I thought the squad looked very threadbare and am not surprised we're finishing the season without even a whimper.

'Taking the positives' from this, Lowe has recognised players that weren't performing and moved them on. The fans saw it, so did he (not all managers do)! It gives me a little optimism that things will get better next season.

The honeymoon is over. With the likelihood of fans back, we will need a fast start to 21/22.

Feb 15, 2005
Maybe RL best attribute is loyalty, he is sticking with us despite his obvious frustration at not being able to get the players he would like but won't make the upheaval to the West Country. If he was at a more Northern club then player recruitment would be much simpler where his targets don't have to uproot their families. As so many wish on here, he might head back north where managerial life is easier. It might be better if he apologises for not "getting relegated" so that many folk can have their say 'I told you so".

Here’s a genuine question, I’m not trying to be a smart-arse. At the end of Feb we were looking up the table not down, recruitment had looked good and so was our style of play. When it turned mammaries-up RL had no choice but to try to turn things around with the same players, where we suddenly find that the team has less heart, few leaders and less fighting spirit than we previously supposed.

If RL was running any other commercial business the solution would be simple. Get rid of those who couldn’t or wouldn’t perform and replace them with those who who would. He couldn’t do that. He had to stick with this lot until the end of the season, and we know he attempted changes of tactics and team line-ups but nothing has worked, and so we limped over the line.

Put yourself in RL’s shoes, what would you have done? Please don’t just say you wouldn’t have got into that position in the first place because you would have recruited better. Anyone can be wise after the event.

Nov 2, 2004
Hopefully it’s a thick skin because every Tom Dick and Harry who once payed for Prince rock reserves is a tactical genius who could sign great players and do a better job than him. Most of the really good managers have very little interest in interaction with fans or media.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
You are right, Mervyn.
This squad did well in January, after he had let Canavan, Wootton, Nouble and Telford leave. I believe that they would have been released at the end of this season.
Unfortunately, part way through February, after the transfer deadline, things went drastically wrong and he had no option than to persevere with what he had.
I would say that Aimson proved that his experience came to the fore but he got injured early in the Charlton game and things have got out of control with no experience to call on in the back 3. Joe Edwards persevered but his role of trying to take responsibilities in both penalty areas was never going to be enough. I do agree with those who believe his best position is in central midfield.
I am consoling myself in the opposing fortunes of Hull City and Swindon Town. Last year, Hull were relegated with a disastrous defensive record but this season, with a few good acquisitions, they have deservedly become champions of League 1, with the same manager. Swindon, however, who were champions of League 2, have had a disastrous season having not been able to hold on to Doyle, Yates and Jaiyesimi.
I really hope that our recruitment will ensure a much more successful 2021/2.
After next Sunday, 2020/1 will be history.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
mervyn":yku0ek73 said:
Here’s a genuine question, I’m not trying to be a smart-arse. At the end of Feb we were looking up the table not down, recruitment had looked good and so was our style of play. When it turned mammaries-up RL had no choice but to try to turn things around with the same players, where we suddenly find that the team has less heart, few leaders and less fighting spirit than we previously supposed.

If RL was running any other commercial business the solution would be simple. Get rid of those who couldn’t or wouldn’t perform and replace them with those who who would. He couldn’t do that. He had to stick with this lot until the end of the season, and we know he attempted changes of tactics and team line-ups but nothing has worked, and so we limped over the line.

Put yourself in RL’s shoes, what would you have done? Please don’t just say you wouldn’t have got into that position in the first place because you would have recruited better. Anyone can be wise after the event.

This.

Lowe will have known that were problems months ago, he hasn't 'just noticed them' as people seem to be suggesting, he was never going to come out midway through the season and publicly say he needed more winners/characters, that would have been idiotic with there being a genuine chance of relegation.

Let's see what he can do to correct those problems, and try to get behind the manager who took us up less than a year ago.

Apr 1, 2009
mervyn":325c4exi said:

In fairness Mervyn, there were quite a few posters at the end of January suggesting Lowe had left himself short both in terms of numbers, as well as experience, particularly in defensive areas.

You claim that at the end of Feb, recruitment had looked good. Possibly short term it did, but medium term it did not. If this was to be a consolidation season in L1, surely it was imperative to put down the foundations of a defence, that could be the basis of next season's team?. Yet from the end of Jan it was clear that we would end the season without having a single defender in contract. Is that good recruitment?

xmastree":1pi9yi73 said:
mervyn":1pi9yi73 said:

In fairness Mervyn, there were quite a few posters at the end of January suggesting Lowe had left himself short both in terms of numbers, as well as experience, particularly in defensive areas.

You claim that at the end of Feb, recruitment had looked good. Possibly short term it did, but medium term it did not. If this was to be a consolidation season in L1, surely it was imperative to put down the foundations of a defence, that could be the basis of next season's team?. Yet from the end of Jan it was clear that we would end the season without having a single defender in contract. Is that good recruitment?

I agree with that. Hopefully he will have learned to think longer term, which I guess is easier now he has a 3 year contract.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
What a very strange season!!
Looking at the league table, we have lost games against 3 of the relegated teams, including heavily against Rochdale and Bristol Rovers. We have also won games against 3 of the playoff teams.
We cannot, possibly, have such an inconsistent season again, surely. It just doesn’t make sense.
Hopefully, next season RL will demonstrate that his greatest attribute is to persevere, learn from his mistakes and produce a squad that Simon Hallett and The Green Army can all be proud of.