What's your worst ever Argyle performance? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What's your worst ever Argyle performance?

Aug 10, 2006
Forest of Dean Green":q4uc6zuh said:
Stourbridge away in the cup. Raining. Trudge across a muddy field to a temporary stand. The spectre of administration. An awful performance with a patched together side. Bignot getting sent off. The only entertainment was a mild fracas amongst the disgruntled Argyle fans. Remarkably, we still had 400 off there for that game. It really was a low point.
even though most of us knew we were going to lose we still went as you say a real low point also Worcester away lost 2 nil fa cup 78 with Malcolm Allison in charge.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Despite far worse drubbings it remains Wembley considering the importance of the game.
A national embarrassment. Gutless. Insipid. Pathetic

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Away at Dagenahm in the cup on TV and also near the end of Boobys reign away at Crewe when the fans started arguing amongst ourselves

Aug 5, 2016
up_the_line":3757xbmm said:
Despite far worse drubbings it remains Wembley considering the importance of the game.
A national embarrassment. Gutless. Insipid. Pathetic

I don’t agree with you often, particularly on the Adams era, but I agree with that.

It felt at times like the players weren’t even trying.

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
4-0 away at Exeter last season. No pride or effort shown throughout.

People have already mentioned the loss at Dagenham in the cup and the 1-5 defeat at Accrington.

Other honourable mentions go to a 0-4 gubbing at home to Swindon in the FA Cup in 10/11, and getting stuffed at Bury a few seasons back over the Easter weekend which scuppered any chance of a play-off place.

M

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Dreamgreen":2vglhlbe said:
PL2 3DQ":2vglhlbe said:
Away to Watford April 2010. It was only a 1-0 defeat but the performances of Damien Johnson and especially Bradley Wright-Phillips amongst others were an absolute disgrace.

Agreed about Johnson, I´ve said it mant times on here, THE worst performance of any Argyle player I´ve seen since 1961.

However the game at Macclesfield (a) lost 4 v 1, that was seriously bad. But Excreta away last year, sat in amongst that lot, seriously hurt.

And he was paid very well to perform badly, I recall

Dec 29, 2011
So many but 2 really spring to mind.
The 2.0 defeat at York as previously mentioned by fellow posters(horibble conditions and horrible performance)but one that still rankles with me to this day a 3.0 defeat at Scarborough on a Wednesday night(3 days before the Jimmy Glass game).If ever a team rolled over and had their tummy tickled it was Argyle that night.Before the game we still had an out side chance of making the play offs but you never would have guessed .

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
October 1988 - Chelsea 5 Argyle 0. I went with a Chelsea-supporting work colleague and I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. The crowd of 12,658 at Stamford Bridge summed up the whole day out...

Also, whilst not the worst performance by any stretch of the imagination, I still sometimes wake up in a cold sweat about 'The Nightmare at Elm Park' in December 1985. 3-0 up at Reading - and lost 3-4... :doh:

Sep 3, 2009
0-5 v Rovers in the FA Cup, when they pulled Liverpool in the next round immediately after the game.

2-5 away at Cheltenham - 4-0 down at half-time.

Others. Lots of others.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
Almost any away match at Gillingham. Living in Bromley, one of my closest grounds so I go regularly. But have never seen a win there; usually a very poor performance; and sitting in the open on what appears to be scaffolding behind a goal. Only exciting moment in recent years when losing badly but with thick fog moving in with 15 minutes to go and chanting for the ref to stop the match. He didn't of course even though the pitch rapidly disappeared from view so our usual defeat!

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Wow, there's so many to choose from. We've had some humiliating capitulations at home, but it's always the pathetic away defeats against inferior opposition that get to me most.
Nothing against Southend, but 2 trips to Roots Hall spring to mind. The first was Peter Reid's last game as manager. Carl Fletcher lost it and got sent off, we were chronically woeful and lost 2-0, our eighth consecutive defeat.
A couple of seasons later, and it's an opening day trip to the Essex seaside. I travelled up full of optimism, as Sheridan had made what looked like some good signings. Barry Corr scored after about 15 minutes and it was game over. Not a single chance created in 90 minutes, married to no heart, no desire, no clue. I drove home in a fury. And we were wearing Light Blue. And Andre Blackman 'played' at Left Back.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
R Dawe":2oibcb27 said:
Almost any away match at Gillingham. Living in Bromley, one of my closest grounds so I go regularly. But have never seen a win there; usually a very poor performance; and sitting in the open on what appears to be scaffolding behind a goal. Only exciting moment in recent years when losing badly but with thick fog moving in with 15 minutes to go and chanting for the ref to stop the match. He didn't of course even though the pitch rapidly disappeared from view so our usual defeat!

When was the last time we won at Gillingham? Really seems to be our bogey ground.