What's your worst ever Argyle performance? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What's your worst ever Argyle performance?

Nov 18, 2011
I'm surprised it's not been mentioned yet but the 4-0 loss away at Brighton in 2011 on a Tuesday night.
We'd gone into administration the day before and the players looked defeated before a ball was kicked.
I've never seen us outplayed so badly, well I think so anyway, I mean you can only see about half the pitch from the away end at that horrible Withdean Stadium!

Only bright spot was the kind words and empathy from the Brighton fans and the tannoy operator.

That Stourbridge loss was also horrible.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Joe Totale":2x459p92 said:
I'm surprised it's not been mentioned yet but the 4-0 loss away at Brighton in 2011 on a Tuesday night.
We'd gone into administration the day before and the players looked defeated before a ball was kicked.
I've never seen us outplayed so badly, well I think so anyway, I mean you can only see about half the pitch from the away end at that horrible Withdean Stadium!

Only bright spot was the kind words and empathy from the Brighton fans and the tannoy operator.

Going to the Withdean was such an odd experience, so odd that you're almost glad you did it, but definitely odd.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
WoodsyGreen":3lge3sx6 said:
Yes, Stourbridge was awful, but have you all erased Dorchester from your minds? By far the worst I have ever seen an Argyle side play. We were poor even before Hourihane was sent off, but once he went off we were made to look like part-timers by a team of... well, part-timers. Even an Exeter loanee scored for them.

The worst I've felt after a game would definitely be the Wimbledon playoff final. If we get back to one of those again I'm not sure I'd go.

Yes the Dorchester game would be my choice, a totally dismal performance only compensated by the fact that I only had a 8 mile journey home.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I doubt it would have changed the outcome but Hourihane's sending off at Dorchester is still one of the most ridiculous refereeing decisions I've seen, a real 'look at me I'm on TV' call.

Jan 27, 2012
Rush Goalie":1k0k7b9z said:
0-5 v Rovers in the FA Cup, when they pulled Liverpool in the next round immediately after the game.

Carl Saunders hat-trick.

Rovers played "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" on the tannoy system afterwards.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Joe Totale":1lquu3fe said:

I was there for that, couldn't see anything of the game, only really knew about the goals when the Brighton fans "celebrated", it was the quietest stadium I've ever been to for a team that were running away at the top of the league.

StroudGreen

♣️ PASTA Member
Dec 27, 2010
Stroud
FA Cup defeat at Stourbridge was abject and embarrassing, but don’t recall being as angry as I was in the 5-2 defeat at Cheltenham which marked the end of Kevin Hodges reign, truly awful, 4 down at HT.

Old Brown

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 10, 2020
Wadebridge
2010/11 Home in the FA Cup v Swindon 0-4. Seem to recall loanee (Dean Perrett?) getting sent off. We were so bad we were lucky to get 0.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
No where near the worst performance, but for sheer disappointment, Burnley in the playoff semi.

I think it was down to the way we'd played all season and getting a good 0-0 up there on the first leg.

We were so good that season. We were going up. Definitely.

Oh wait......

Was sooooo gutted.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
L G":39hd432z said:
Wembley 2016. :facepalm:

That was poo mate! A turgid uninspiring performance on the big stage.

Not our worst but given the occasion, it waa awful.

The 5-0 at Twerton, which included a punch up between two frustrated Argyle fans standing behind me. Capped off a rubbish weekend as I’d seen my local non-leaguers Crawley beaten 6-1 at The Goldstone the day before.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
The 1-0 defeat against Southend at the beginning of the 2013/14 season (I think) was really turgid. We conceded after about 7 minutes and, quite literally, nothing happened for the remainder of the game. Watching Andre Blackman trying to play football was a spectacle too. At least the coach up was free.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
German Shepherd":3oywdkof said:
Cobi Budge":3oywdkof said:
York 2 Argyle 0, under Sheridan, we were horrifically bad and it was such an anticlimax considering we'd beaten Exeter a couple of days before. York were also on some ridiculous losing streak at home prior to the game.

Another vote for this match. Argyle were absolutely shocking. League survival was at stake & there seemed no fight.

I trudged out the ground convinced Argyle were gonna be a non league club at the end of the season.

Hold the back page on that !!!!...does watching on ifollow count ?