When football was football. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

When football was football.

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":1g21rtdd said:
Balham_Green":1g21rtdd said:
mervyn":1g21rtdd said:
Southampton Hake":1g21rtdd said:
Mervyn-- is Port Vale the answer?

Yep. Apparently when the group who formed the club were looking for a name, one of them remembered a building of that name, nowhere near Stoke, and thought it would be a nice name for a club.

What about QPR?

Queens Park is very much a place, between Kilburn and Kensal Green in North West London and one of QPR's early grounds was in Kensal Green (they have had more than a dozen).

But they don't play there now

Balham_Green":39g7i5wy said:
Lundan Cabbie":39g7i5wy said:
Balham_Green":39g7i5wy said:
mervyn":39g7i5wy said:
Southampton Hake":39g7i5wy said:

Yep. Apparently when the group who formed the club were looking for a name, one of them remembered a building of that name, nowhere near Stoke, and thought it would be a nice name for a club.

What about QPR?

Queens Park is very much a place, between Kilburn and Kensal Green in North West London and one of QPR's early grounds was in Kensal Green (they have had more than a dozen).

My original question which sparked this was, can you name the only team whose name bears no relation to where they play or have played.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":2l6bd7mj said:
Lundan Cabbie":2l6bd7mj said:
Balham_Green":2l6bd7mj said:
mervyn":2l6bd7mj said:
Southampton Hake":2l6bd7mj said:

What about QPR?

Absolutely. Loftus road (or the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium) must be all of a mile and half from Kensal Green.

A reminder of the original question

mervyn wrote: Can you name the only team on that list whose name bears absolutely no relationship to where they play or have played?

:roll:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I was about to be really smug and say Aston Villa too... forgetting Aston is definitely a place in Birmingham :doh:

Aug 12, 2016
Bang Phra. Thailand
mervyn":2gcsjmeh said:
Balham_Green":2gcsjmeh said:
Lundan Cabbie":2gcsjmeh said:
Balham_Green":2gcsjmeh said:
mervyn":2gcsjmeh said:
Southampton Hake":2gcsjmeh said:

What about QPR?

My original question which sparked this was, can you name the only team whose name bears no relation to where they play or have played.

Could it be Hatlepools who have always played in Hartlepool but never in Hartlepools ?

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":23pa66xm said:
Balham_Green":23pa66xm said:
Lundan Cabbie":23pa66xm said:
Balham_Green":23pa66xm said:
mervyn":23pa66xm said:
Southampton Hake":23pa66xm said:

What about QPR?

Absolutely. Loftus road (or the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium) must be all of a mile and half from Kensal Green.

mervyn wrote: Can you name the only team on that list whose name bears absolutely no relationship to where they play or have played?

2.8 miles if you ARE going to be pedantic. Unlike you. And Shepherds Bush definitely is not Queens Park. The poster already clarified the question. No need to do it again. Bet the Palace forum is a bundle of laughs.

May 5, 2006
What I like most about those league ladders is that there are four divisions numbered 1 to 4, what a simple idea, do you think it could catch on?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":3eopujwq said:
Lundan Cabbie":3eopujwq said:
Lundan Cabbie":3eopujwq said:
mervyn":3eopujwq said:

What about QPR?

2.8 miles if you ARE going to be pedantic. Unlike you. And Shepherds Bush definitely is not Queens Park. The poster already clarified the question. No need to do it again. Bet the Palace forum is a bundle of laughs.

This is an Argyle forum sir. :whistle:

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Also, who scored Accrington's final goal, before they "vanished" from the league? Clue; when I first knew him, he was on Argyle's ground staff.( Apologies to those who are not old enough to know what "ground staff" meant!)

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Bovey-Green lady":2l3dl9ft said:
Also, who scored Accrington's final goal, before they "vanished" from the league? Clue; when I first knew him, he was on Argyle's ground staff.( Apologies to those who are not old enough to know what "ground staff" meant!)

When you first knew him, he was on Argyle's ground staff.? :think: :think:
Bob Jack?? :lol:

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Anybody else have the blue Esso board of the England squad?
My Dad was a truck driver so i accumulated hundreds of coins from all over the UK. Needed Ian Storey-Moore to complete the set, and no matter how many coins Dad brought home at the end of the week ISM evaded me.
Went out with my Dad on his Saturday off.put petrol in the car at West Park filling station and got him.
Young lad running round the filling station forecourt shouting and cheering was me much to the amazement of other customers.

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Pogleswoody":5twwsl5g said:
Bovey-Green lady":5twwsl5g said:

When you first knew him, he was on Argyle's ground staff.? :think: :think:
Yes! You got it on one! And you were the annoying little boy who used to tie my pigtails together, weren't you?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Bovey-Green lady":3fhoe1mj said:
Pogleswoody":3fhoe1mj said:
Bovey-Green lady":3fhoe1mj said:

When you first knew him, he was on Argyle's ground staff.? :think:
Yes! You got it on one! And you were the annoying little boy who used to tie my pigtails together, weren't you?

No!! I'm his Grandad!!
(Feels like it!) ;)