When football was football. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

When football was football.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Bovey-Green lady":66lbj5um said:
Pogleswoody":66lbj5um said:
Bovey-Green lady":66lbj5um said:
Also, who scored Accrington's final goal, before they "vanished" from the league? Clue; when I first knew him, he was on Argyle's ground staff.( Apologies to those who are not old enough to know what "ground staff" meant!)

When you first knew him, he was on Argyle's ground staff.? :think: :think:
Bob Jack?? :lol:
Yes! You got it on one! And you were the annoying little boy who used to tie my pigtails together, weren't you?
Mike Ferguson is the name you are looking for. And just to keep the Argyle link going, Accrington's final game in 61-62 was v Crewe and Frank Lord scored a hat trick for the Railwaymen.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Southampton Hake":29kvt70w said:
Keeping the questions rolling.

5 of the listed teams in the Tiger ladder have played in the top 5 divisions of the English Football Pyramid, (the 5 division being the Confrence/National League Premier) at some time in the club's history.
There are also a handful of clubs pre 1958 who have played in 6 different Football League divisions. One, Two, Three, Four, Three (North) and Three (South). When it came to relegation from Div Two if there were two southern based clubs they would both go into 3rd South and the most northerly club in the southern section would be shunted across. Coventry and Notts Co are two I can think of. Shrewsbury too have played in both. Notts Co have now played in a seventh!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
memory man":pg2l9x7v said:
Southampton Hake":pg2l9x7v said:
Keeping the questions rolling.

5 of the listed teams in the Tiger ladder have played in the top 5 divisions of the English Football Pyramid, (the 5 division being the Confrence/National League Premier) at some time in the club's history.
There are also a handful of clubs pre 1958 who have played in 6 different Football League divisions. One, Two, Three, Four, Three (North) and Three (South). When it came to relegation from Div Two if there were two southern based clubs they would both go into 3rd South and the most northerly club in the southern section would be shunted across. Coventry and Notts Co are two I can think of. Shrewsbury too have played in both. Notts Co have now played in a seventh!
Forest that should be plus Coventry, Shrewsbury, Mansfield, Walsall and Port Vale.

Aug 14, 2014
Edmonds200 wrote
Following on from that who scored Accies first 2 goals back in the football league ?

He later played for Argyle. I remember him playing for A.S. at Aldershot Town in League 2. Stocky guy called Rocco or something similar.

Going back to the subject how things used to be, am I allowed to have a rant about modern day journalese and football language.

Why do managers have to be a ‘gaffer’. To my generation that reeks of forelock tugging and class distinction, which is all very irritating.
Why does every single deflection have to be ‘wicked’?
Who invented ‘early doors’? Stupid saying.
Why are all passes to wing players ‘up the channels’?

I could go on, but rant over. I feel better for that.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
mervyn":1zj0me19 said:
Going back to the subject how things used to be, am I allowed to have a rant about modern day journalese and football language.

Why do managers have to be a ‘gaffer’. To my generation that reeks of forelock tugging and class distinction, which is all very irritating.
Why does every single deflection have to be ‘wicked’?
Who invented ‘early doors’? Stupid saying.
Why are all passes to wing players ‘up the channels’?

I could go on, but rant over. I feel better for that.
I get angry when the commentators and pundits say "Putting his body on the line" - that's what servicemen and front line workers do.

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
memory man":2cdvn0mk said:
Bovey-Green lady":2cdvn0mk said:
Pogleswoody":2cdvn0mk said:
Bovey-Green lady":2cdvn0mk said:
Also, who scored Accrington's final goal, before they "vanished" from the league? Clue; when I first knew him, he was on Argyle's ground staff.( Apologies to those who are not old enough to know what "ground staff" meant!)

Yes! You got it on one! And you were the annoying little boy who used to tie my pigtails together, weren't you?
Mike Ferguson is the name you are looking for. And just to keep the Argyle link going, Accrington's final game in 61-62 was v Crewe and Frank Lord scored a hat trick for the Railwaymen.
Sure is, Memory Man. The first "pash" of my life!

Lev Yashin

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Aug 1, 2017
Canada
We show our age when salivating over such treasures.
Kids today haven’t a clue!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Bovey-Green lady":37knrh73 said:
memory man":37knrh73 said:
Pogleswoody":37knrh73 said:

Sure is, Memory Man. The first "pash" of my life!
Richard Davis told me of his shock when Mike said he was leaving, thinking he wouldn't be allowed to leave. But the difference between ground staff and apprentice was that the ground staff were on a week to week ordinary employment arrangement, and not a contract. He did very well in the game after Accringtion and was quite an important part of Terry Venables management team, especially for England.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
The one that I struggle with these days is the inside left who plays just behind the centre forward is a No.10 but the right sided equivalent is never called a No.8.

:wtf:

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Lundan Cabbie":yu66kz0e said:
The one that I struggle with these days is the inside left who plays just behind the centre forward is a No.10 but the right sided equivalent is never called a No.8.

:wtf:
You and me both,Lundan Cabbie! I still think in terms of a right back, or a centre half/forward. If I can watch the game, it's not so bad as I can translate what I am seeing in front of me, into the "old" terminology.

Aug 14, 2014
I have had too many years of pre, half time and post match analysis from the experts on the box and restrict my watching to the action. The current crop of commentators so often fail to identify who has the ball and the drivel exchanged between them and the co-commentator is painful.

What really drove me up the wall was the post match interview with the team manager who would suggest each goal his team scored was brilliant attacking football, and every goal conceded was a defensive error.

Having lived through the ages of televised football from virtual zero live matches ( FA Cup final only) to today's saturation point familiarity has probably bred contempt.

Oct 2, 2017
Southampton Hake":8ug127ns said:
I have had too many years of pre, half time and post match analysis from the experts on the box and restrict my watching to the action. The current crop of commentators so often fail to identify who has the ball and the drivel exchanged between them and the co-commentator is painful.

What really drove me up the wall was the post match interview with the team manager who would suggest each goal his team scored was brilliant attacking football, and every goal conceded was a defensive error.

Having lived through the ages of televised football from virtual zero live matches ( FA Cup final only) to today's saturation point familiarity has probably bred contempt.

Couldn't agree more... I've never understood why a co-commentator is needed, they often talk such rubbish, or what John Cleese used to call 'the bleeding' obvious'. Barry Davies, John Motson, David Coleman, Brian Moore etc never needed a co-commentator and they always knew all the players' names.

In the past week or so I watched one match where the commentator barely mentioned a single players name until a goal went in, and spent most of the match engaged in banal chat with his female co-commentator. And in another match, the co-commentator said 'You have to be disciplined and keep your shape when you come to a stadium like this one...' ??? WTF!!! Surely you have to do that if you play at Wembley or the local park!!!

And I wish sports journalists would think of something interesting to ask a that doesn't have a limited range of answers. For example... 'You must be pleased.. how pleased are you?' (A bit, a lot, very, not at all, extremely.... delete as appropriate!)

Rant over.. sometimes better to watch football with the volume off...