When football was football. | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

When football was football.

Mark58

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Southampton Hake":wrfy6yik said:
I have had too many years of pre, half time and post match analysis from the experts on the box and restrict my watching to the action. The current crop of commentators so often fail to identify who has the ball and the drivel exchanged between them and the co-commentator is painful.

What really drove me up the wall was the post match interview with the team manager who would suggest each goal his team scored was brilliant attacking football, and every goal conceded was a defensive error.

Having lived through the ages of televised football from virtual zero live matches ( FA Cup final only) to today's saturation point familiarity has probably bred contempt.

Spot on. I am now in the habit of watching MOTD on iPlayer. When the match action finishes and the 'Final Result' logo comes on I just 'scoot' through to the point where the next match starts. Sorry, Shearer & Co. - can't be bothered. ;)

Aug 8, 2013
怀So going back to that "5 teams in 5 divisions" question, can
I add Luton (I'm pretty sure) and Carlisle (I think).

Aug 14, 2014
by Gary S

So going back to that "5 teams in 5 divisions" question, can

Both correct Gary. Also Grimsby---Martin_Brock and Notts County--Memory Man.

The 5th-----

Mark58":3cu39pdx said:
Southampton Hake":3cu39pdx said:
I have had too many years of pre, half time and post match analysis from the experts on the box and restrict my watching to the action. The current crop of commentators so often fail to identify who has the ball and the drivel exchanged between them and the co-commentator is painful.

What really drove me up the wall was the post match interview with the team manager who would suggest each goal his team scored was brilliant attacking football, and every goal conceded was a defensive error.

Having lived through the ages of televised football from virtual zero live matches ( FA Cup final only) to today's saturation point familiarity has probably bred contempt.

Spot on. I am now in the habit of watching MOTD on iPlayer. When the match action finishes and the 'Final Result' logo comes on I just 'scoot' through to the point where the next match starts. Sorry, Shearer & Co. - can't be bothered. ;)

I do the same. Itā€™s the banality of the punditry I find irritating. Just going back to the ā€˜fings ainā€™t what they used to beā€™ OP, does anyone else miss the crowd mixing which used to exist before the segregation rules came in. Living in the South East in those days, I would regularly visit most London grounds, plus Pompey, Brighton and Southampton. There were genuinely interesting conversations between visitors and home supporters, particularly their views on their own individual players, plus some good hearted banter without resorting to fisticuffs. I know those days can never return, and the modern football watching experience is infinitely better than before, but I do miss the crowd mixing.

Green as Grass

ā™£ļø North Devon Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Southampton Hake":2p3xss1k said:
by Gary S

The 5th-----
Leyton Orient

Green as Grass":2kipjr84 said:
Southampton Hake":2kipjr84 said:
by Gary S

The 5th-----
Leyton Orient

Iā€™d forgotten that Orient made the first division for one season in the sixties, where they did badly. However it produced one of my favourite TV footballing moments. Must have been at the very start of MOTD in black and white. A quite respectable middle aged Oā€™s supporter got so frustrated at their inability to score that he ran on the pitch, picked up the ball, ran it to around the penalty spot at the popular end, and shouted ā€˜this is how you do itā€™, and kicked the ball into the goal. Cue applause and cheers all round the ground as two laughing policemen lead him off.

Keepitgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Ray61":3a00l41x said:
Southampton Hake":3a00l41x said:

Couldn't agree more... I've never understood why a co-commentator is needed, they often talk such rubbish, or what John Cleese used to call 'the bleeding' obvious'. Barry Davies, John Motson, David Coleman, Brian Moore etc never needed a co-commentator and they always knew all the players' names.
Spurs v Liverpool on BT Sport now. Commentator and two co commentators then in the studio the anchor man and THREE pundits. Crazy.

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Keepitgreen":31uyrg3a said:
Ray61":31uyrg3a said:
Southampton Hake":31uyrg3a said:

Couldn't agree more... I've never understood why a co-commentator is needed, they often talk such rubbish, or what John Cleese used to call 'the bleeding' obvious'. Barry Davies, John Motson, David Coleman, Brian Moore etc never needed a co-commentator and they always knew all the players' names.
Spurs v Liverpool on BT Sport now. Commentator and two co commentators then in the studio the anchor man and THREE pundits. Crazy.

It must be boring on Argyle supporters' coaches on the way home from away matches if nobody is allowed to talk about the game.

Aug 14, 2014
Southampton Hake wrote: by Gary S

The 5th-----
Geen as Grass is correct with Leyton Orient as the 5th.

Feb 15, 2005
I reckon IJN loves the 4 division card table as his beloved Wycombe Wanderers are not in it. :)
:scarf:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
:lol:

Good point. Nor Fleetwood or of course that farce from Milton Keynes.