Wigan v Argyle match thread | Page 15 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wigan v Argyle match thread

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
GreenThing":c4iiiyy9 said:
I’d go a bit further than he’s a good player, Oldage, I’d say he’s an exceptional player. But you’re right in that all the trickery and defence beating runs come to nothing. He needs to apply his skills to what’s in front of him and complete that killer pass instead of holding on to it until the opposition get into position and remove the advantage he’s created.

Nail. Head. :thumbs:

Feb 8, 2005
The players around him have to give him the opportunity to make that killer pass.

He didn't have that problem when he played for Bury, with the strikers they had.

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":pwjgzsxb said:
I’d go a bit further than he’s a good player, Oldage, I’d say he’s an exceptional player. But you’re right in that all the trickery and defence beating runs come to nothing. He needs to apply his skills to what’s in front of him and complete that killer pass instead of holding on to it until the opposition get into position and remove the advantage he’s created.

'exceptional player' nonsense. I am losing patience with him especially after missing that sitter yesterday. An exceptional player in his role(i.e attacking!) scores goals and provides assists. Worrying that our most creative player does neither. He' s one of our better players but definitely not exceptional. Must be one the most over-rated players ever.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
It’s not nonsense just because you don’t agree.

Dec 3, 2005
Interesting looking at the table, FIVE of the 8 Clubs above us have fairly recent history in the Premier League.

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":2u3nx4iz said:

Ok its nonsense in my opinion. You can't disagree with lack of goals or assists. How does that work out for an 'exceptional' player?'.

May 8, 2011
djg145":3c85doj9 said:
Interesting looking at the table, FIVE of the 8 Clubs above us have fairly recent history in the Premier League.

I think saying Charlton and Portsmouth have fairly recent history in the Premier League is pushing the term recent just a bit.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Balham_Green":28c1w9zo said:
GreenThing":28c1w9zo said:

Ok its nonsense in my opinion. You can't disagree with lack of goals or assists. How does that work out for an 'exceptional' player?'.

Read the post, it’s not that difficult to understand. Mayor is an exceptional player who for some reason is underperforming. In my opinion.

Jul 6, 2005
Balham_Green":3cs5mbwb said:
GreenThing":3cs5mbwb said:

'exceptional player' nonsense. I am losing patience with him especially after missing that sitter yesterday. An exceptional player in his role(i.e attacking!) scores goals and provides assists. Worrying that our most creative player does neither. He' s one of our better players but definitely not exceptional. Must be one the most over-rated players ever.
I have all but given up hope of Mayor being the player we all thought he was going to be, I think he is the footballing equivalent of the Emperor's new clothes. Yesterday was the perfect opportunity for Mayor to showcase his supposed creative ability in an Argyle win but once again, he failed to produce the goods. He should have been a big part in us winning a game like yesterday's against very poor opposition but he wasn't up to the job.

He has played every minute of every League game this season but as well as not scoring himself, he is yet to provide an assist either.

This is not a blip, he only scored 1 League goal last season and ended up with more yellow cards than assists, and that was in an attack-minded, promotion winning team. Compare that to the contribution of Cooper who provided more goals and more assists in far less playing time and playing mostly as a wing- back.

Mayor looks so good when he picks up the ball in the centre circle and glides past a couple of players but all too often, there is no end product. The skill and composure on the halfway line is sadly lacking in and around the box, as we saw again yesterday with the great chance late on which he blasted against the first defender instead of guiding it in to the corner of the net in the way you would expect of a player with his supposed quality. Then there's his delivery from corners, abysmal.

The one thing that Mayor does do is to remind me of just how good and effective Carey was for Argyle.

May 1, 2011
HC Green":2rnfuufi said:
djg145":2rnfuufi said:

I think saying Charlton and Portsmouth have fairly recent history in the Premier League is pushing the term recent just a bit.

Completely correct, Wigan being on the Premiership when they were being bankrolled by Dave Whelan had no bearing on yesterday's game.

The same logic applies when we apply with Swindon and Oldham.

I think Accrington won the FA Cup once, is that relevant when we play them?

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
I agree with the comments in relation to Mayor to an extent but he is still head and shoulders above anybody else in our squad. We would be really toothless without his creativity.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Fergy":xea5jn9j said:
I agree with the comments in relation to Mayor to an extent but he is still head and shoulders above anybody else in our squad. We would be really toothless without his creativity.

This. He's frustrating but we'd still be much weaker without him.

Jul 12, 2016
Fergy":255tc3bt said:
We are toothless with his so called creativity. I notice RL hasn't even mentioned the abysmal second half showing in his post match report. Unbelievable!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
oldage":1ujl4x95 said:
Fergy":1ujl4x95 said:
We are toothless with his so called creativity. I notice RL hasn't even mentioned the abysmal second half showing in his post match report. Unbelievable!

An honest question Oldage, do you want Ryan Lowe to be the manager of Plymouth Argyle? Because I'm not sure I've ever seen you post something positive about the man who got us promoted at the first time of asking last season and who has secured a solid start to life in League 1.

Jul 6, 2005
oldage":1vggma7r said:
Fergy":1vggma7r said:
I watched the full post-match interview and in fairness to Lowe, he was clearly frustrated that we hadn't won the game and he was critical of the players, including Mayor, for their lack of compusure and quality in front of goal.

Compared to the utter rubbish that we heard recently from the vastly over-rated Gareth Southgate, gushing in his praise for the England players after another boring, negative performance against Denmark, I thought Lowe's comments were pretty honest and realistic.