Wigan v Argyle match thread | Page 17 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wigan v Argyle match thread

Sep 6, 2006
Nobby":3dc17fjf said:
Balham_Green":3dc17fjf said:
WoodsyGreen":3dc17fjf said:
oldage":3dc17fjf said:
German Shepherd":3dc17fjf said:
This is the same Danny Mayor who was voted by his fellow pros into last year's team of the season ? What do they know, they only have to actually play against him week in week out :crazy:

Last years? In case you haven't noticed we were "promoted" this year! We are in a different division now :facepalm:
You will not get me to change my mind about Mayor only he can do that.

You seem to think it matters whether people can change your mind or not. It doesn't.

Danny Mayor is the first name on the team-sheet, and that isn't going to change while Ryan Lowe is at the club

I don't think there are many saying he is not a good player. Just over-rated that's all. There is a sense of inevitability about his mazy runs. You just know nothing will come of it. Perhaps the strikers are also to blame.

The question is: is Danny Mayor considered over-rated simply because he’s not as good as people thought he would be, or is he considered over-rated because he’s not the type of player they expected him to be?

The comparisons to Carey/Lameiras made everyone think goal scoring attacking midfielder. That’s not his game. He’s a box-to-box midfielder whose strength is on the transition.

If he had signed this summer as a replacement for Sarcevic (who he is more similar to positionally) everyone would be raving about him.

He does need to score more goals, but it would help if we stopped lumping it over his head. Every chance he has on goal he tends to make for himself.

He's not in the same role as Sarcevic though i.e. box to box, middle of park. He has few defensive duties. He's in a 'free role' with largely creative responsibilities only but creates very little. He may create his own chances but then misses them!

Jul 12, 2016
WoodsyGreen":wdpxus0f said:
oldage":wdpxus0f said:
German Shepherd":wdpxus0f said:
This is the same Danny Mayor who was voted by his fellow pros into last year's team of the season ? What do they know, they only have to actually play against him week in week out :crazy:

Last years? In case you haven't noticed we were "promoted" this year! We are in a different division now :facepalm:
You will not get me to change my mind about Mayor only he can do that.

You seem to think it matters whether people can change your mind or not. It doesn't.

Danny Mayor is the first name on the team-sheet, and that isn't going to change while Ryan Lowe is at the club
Doesn't mean anything.RL is unlikely to knock his blue eyed boy off his pedestal.

Nov 2, 2004
Matchday moments make interesting viewing. Definite penalty in the first half. Hardie is chopped from behind the defender never gets the ball. I thought it looked like one at the time. We are not getting much luck with penalties perhaps we will get a decision tonight.