Worst mob ever at Home Park!! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worst mob ever at Home Park!!

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
The 83 Portsmouth game was a very very scary experience. Thank god that sort of behaviour at grounds appears to be a thing of the past.

Nov 10, 2008
cambridgeshire
Ironman said:
The worst mob I've ever seen at Home Park was Chelsea around 1975. I remember being in the Demport End about an hour before kick off and there was a crowd of 20 - 30 Chelsea fans being evicted by the police from the Lyndhurst Road end, which was where the away fans were kept at that time. As they passed the fence that seperated the Demport End and Lyndhurst side the Argyle fans ran forward to take the p1ss out of them and suddenly 40 or 50 Chelse fans ran into the Demport End from the rear entrance and started to batter any Argyle fan in front of them. It was so well organised that it caused complete panic and mayhem amongst the Green Army. The police didn't have a clue and ran into the melee with truncheons waving, clattering whoever was in front of them, adding to the confusion.

Me? I was a skinny 15 year old with no bottle and I promptly pood myself. Then and I leapt over the front fence onto the pitch to be met by a steward who told me I couldn't come onto the pitch and he tried to push me back into the Demport End. Nob!! There were hundreds of us on the hallowed turf.
To this day, I cannot understand how the police didn't spot 40 or 50 Chelsea fans congregating behind the Demport End.

Years later I was talking to a Chelsea fan from that era and he admitted thatit was a regular tactic, especially at away games. One group of fans would cause a disturbance at the front and another group would rush the opposing fans from behind and feed off the panic.

Happy days. Does anybody else remember this? :shock: :?[/quote

yes i remember this, we used to travel up from par on the train, baker trousers, doc martins, scarfs hanging off our waist, gosh we were hard,aged 15. nobody would mess with us, if we wanted to throw bog rolls off the tamar bridge from the train we did. but after the game we got into our six/8 seater carriage out of breath due to running luck flip to get on the train only to find it was full of chealsea fans . this is the point we also pood ourselves, thankfully they looked at us ,legs against the door trying to keep it shut, looking pale and left us alone. by the time we crossed the tamar we were back to our old hard self, slinging bog rolls once again, scary day but good tales to tell at school on monday. happy days :cry:

B

bandwagon

monkeywrench":1o7uljq0 said:
The 83 Portsmouth game was a very very scary experience. Thank god that sort of behaviour at grounds appears to be a thing of the past.

Just anounced on Talksport, Pompey might be in liquidation - gone bust!!

Jun 16, 2006
loyal1970":395ilhik said:
Bodmin Tew":395ilhik said:
Pompey for me on that day. Also the Leeds mob that came down after we got promoted in 86/87 were pretty scary.

500 blood stained Yorkshire boys after scuffles down Union St walking down towards the Lyndhurst chanting "We are Evil"
was that the same day they got done in the two trees.
Strange day that. Every window in the two trigs got put through and leeds couldn't get out, which given the difference in size and age of the blokes in there to the Argyle mob was just as well. The police scattered everyone until the group of ~500 odd Argyle I was with entered Central Park at PCQ to be met by another similar sized mob coming towards past the pitch & putt. Quite a few punches were thrown before each side realised both sides were Argyle.

The combined mob skirted around the Peverell side of the park to come up to the BPE entrance where they were met with police horses and riot shields. The angry mob from Leeds on the other side didn't seem keen to get revenge for earlier.

Pompey in 83 to answer the original question, although haing been to Cold Blow Lane to watch Man City when in London to see the Happy Mondays, that was pretty tame.

Apologies for stretching the "it was only jolly japes" of the 70's into the "hooligan" 80's.

M

marin(er)

Ironman":21vfxvyz said:
The worst mob I've ever seen at Home Park was Chelsea around 1975. I remember being in the Demport End about an hour before kick off and there was a crowd of 20 - 30 Chelsea fans being evicted by the police from the Lyndhurst Road end, which was where the away fans were kept at that time. As they passed the fence that seperated the Demport End and Lyndhurst side the Argyle fans ran forward to take the p1ss out of them and suddenly 40 or 50 Chelse fans ran into the Demport End from the rear entrance and started to batter any Argyle fan in front of them. It was so well organised that it caused complete panic and mayhem amongst the Green Army. The police didn't have a clue and ran into the melee with truncheons waving, clattering whoever was in front of them, adding to the confusion.

Me? I was a skinny 15 year old with no bottle and I promptly pood myself. Then and I leapt over the front fence onto the pitch to be met by a steward who told me I couldn't come onto the pitch and he tried to push me back into the Demport End. Nob!! There were hundreds of us on the hallowed turf.
To this day, I cannot understand how the police didn't spot 40 or 50 Chelsea fans congregating behind the Demport End.

Years later I was talking to a Chelsea fan from that era and he admitted thatit was a regular tactic, especially at away games. One group of fans would cause a disturbance at the front and another group would rush the opposing fans from behind and feed off the panic.

Happy days. Does anybody else remember this? :shock: :?

I was 10 and in the barn park with my grandad. Bloody scary they were. I think it was 1976 and they won 3-0 or 3-2. I also think the result promoted them and relegated us. There was a lot of trouble in those days, Wolves in that same season were scary too. But the green army were a hard ugly mob then too from what I can remember

T

Tarn

Wasn't there a pre-season friendly with Chelsea at Home Park that ended up with the navy police getting involved due to the widespread disturbances? I seem to recall seeing something about it on the news. :?

G

green_for_life

Tarn":2zok94dw said:
Wasn't there a pre-season friendly with Chelsea at Home Park that ended up with the navy police getting involved due to the widespread disturbances? I seem to recall seeing something about it on the news. :?

I can vaguely remember some sort of early hours disturbance down Union Street many years ago. Lots of locals congregated near The Octagon with people saying Chelsea were kicking off but I dont recall seeing anything happen. I guess I was either too late or too drunk or nothing actually happened and the events were exaggerated the next day.

As for the worst, got to be Pompey 1983. They weren't too pleasant a couple years earlier in the League Cup neither. Lots of bottles and stuff being thrown at the Lyndhurst before the Barn Park fencing collapsed. I'll always remember the lad at the top of the segregation fence with his crash helmet keeping those nasty Pompey fans out of the Lyndy :lol:

Sep 18, 2009
Benny Bull Frog":1jod6ttw said:
I can remember Charlton in the mid 70's coming to argyle mob handed and they were all skinheads dressed in clockwork orange garb. Was quite a scary sight seeing those "boots and braces" steaming towards you

I remember the Charlton fans dressed in their Clockwork Orange kit. I also remember the Chelsea game in the mid seventies, a mate of mine told me he'd seen a one-armed Chelsea fan carrying an axe in the ground.

Portsmouth in '83 was the worst, their fans completely took over the ground and fights were breaking out everwhere. The police totally underestimated the amount of men they would need and lost control of the situation, one of the police dogs bit me whilst I was standing in the Lyndhust smoking a fag.

T

Tarn

The Chelsea bloke with one arm was called Babs. I think he also featured in an article in one of the tabloids during the mid 70's when they played at Millwall and about their impending fixture at Man Utd.

Speaking of Millwall; have you ever had any trouble with them at Home Park?

Feb 29, 2008
Pompey, Millwall and Stoke to my memory, Pompey was the worst I was involved in, they were all over the ground in large groups and it kicked off big time. I remember all the Leeds lot getting a right kicking in Union St. when they turned up in the evening after the match and good ol '42 commando teamed up with the locals to send them back to Yorkshire, evil barstewards.

O

oggyale

Pompey,1983.

Many have said though that if we had gone to Pompey in the same situation as they came here,Argyle fans would have acted exactly in the same manner as the Pompey lot that day...

Bristol City have always tried it on down here too.