Worst mob ever at Home Park!! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worst mob ever at Home Park!!

Jul 17, 2008
Calstock
Does anyone remember (or get their grand-dads to reminisce) our visit to Millwall in the mid 60's?

They were on a massive unbeaten run at home. We were on a massive run without a win away. Of course we beat them!! I didn't go but the tales which came back about the Millwall fans were horrifying at that time.

Anyone remember?

Feb 24, 2008
My old man went to many games away and was at the Millwall gme at the den, we beat them 1-0 ending thier 61 game unbeaten home run. I recall him saying it was mental, all our buses came away window free. Must ask him again for his recollections

Jul 17, 2008
Calstock
Lyndhurst Road End":3abfwmgw said:
My old man went to many games away and was at the Millwall gme at the den, we beat them 1-0 ending thier 61 game unbeaten home run. I recall him saying it was mental, all our buses came away window free. Must ask him again for his recollections

I think the team bus was smashed up also. Ah! Those were the days .... :lol:

A

Anonymous

It was 59 games, which equalled the record from memory.

Bickle came out of the ground only to see a docker running down the road with his suit (and coat hanger) under his arm.

G

Greenskin

IJN":3eq465j3 said:
It was 59 games, which equalled the record from memory.

Bickle came out of the ground only to see a docker running down the road with his suit (and coat hanger) under his arm.

I think we talked about this the other day,under the Derek Ufton thread after the Charlton game.I'll see if i can find my old scrapbooks-would it be possible to scan the cuttings and put'em on here? Very interesting stuff!

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
everton back in the 1970's in an fa cup game. it was pre-segregation. the scousers were drunk, very disorderly, and hurling racist comments against their own black players. bingham was the everton manager at the time.as young as i was i was already aware of the urban myth that "every liverpudlian is a comedian". they were viscious

D

desargyle

king tynan":1a25ewyk said:
everton back in the 1970's in an fa cup game. it was pre-segregation. the scousers were drunk, very disorderly, and hurling racist comments against their own black players. bingham was the everton manager at the time.as young as i was i was already aware of the urban myth that "every liverpudlian is a comedian". they were viscious

Everton,Black players,1970,s??? :?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
desargyle":ugei6fdi said:
king tynan":ugei6fdi said:

yeah. it was unusual for those racist so and so's but i remember bingham saying that he did not want any colour bar at everton. it was a massive problem back then.

G

Greenskin

king tynan":2itif6cn said:
desargyle":2itif6cn said:
king tynan":2itif6cn said:

yeah. it was unusual for those racist so and so's but i remember bingham saying that he did not want any colour bar at everton. it was a massive problem back then.

I think there was a young black player called Cliff Marshall playing for Everton in the 1970's game against Argyle.He didn't last long at the club,i don't know what happened to him afterwards.As you say, Everton had a reputation for,shall we say,being selective about the skin colour of the people they employed [and they weren't the only ones] and it probably wasn't until the nineties that the barrier was fully broken.The fans apparently used to hold up burning crosses to greet visiting black goalkeepers and Goodison was generally a pretty hostile place for black players generally.Different world back then,incredible to even think about it now.

P

Plymuffer

LG":3ili2oz9 said:
Peter_dout":3ili2oz9 said:
On the whole I haven't seen that much trouble at Home Park. , I would say Port Vale invading the Lyndhurst in 1994 is probably the worst I have seen.
:oops: Don't watch the westcountry/TSW footage :oops:

I know what you mean,but to be fair,that was not the argyle mob running through the lyndy! the actual fighting was on the pitch where argyle got on top

T

Tyhee_Slim

Went to most of these games - well, all of them except the infamous Millwall away match. My brother went to that one and still talks about it - usually mentioning that he's surprised he's still alive.

For numbers and all round chaos the '83 Pompey one is undoubtedly the worst, but the two games against Chelsea in 75/76 & 76/77 were actually more scary. I saw some evil poo on those days, like Chelsea fans picking on defenceless old(ish) blokes for no reason - Leeds in the eighties were bad but I think Chelsea in the seventies were worse. It was pretty hairy at Stamford Bridge as well - I saw the infamous axeman there.

The Charlton 'droogs' were scary for about thirty seconds for their shock value but ended up getting a right kicking once the brave lads in the Demport (having initially run away) realised there weren't that many of them.

The Watney Cup match against Stoke was also pretty bad, probably because it was, in all but name, a pre-season friendly and no-one was expecting it.

The Everton cup match was just about numbers and the times we were in.

And let's not forget that we had our moments too. I know that folks in Peterborough still talk about that day in 1975 which was, as it goes, disgusting (although I'm sure there are a few morons on here who still think it was good clean fun), but quite a few Saturday away games in the second half of that season saw our mob terrorising some poor unsuspecting town or other, albeit on a smaller scale. Blackburn (renamed Greenburn for a while) was the second in terms of scale, although at least they had a few 'lads' of their own, but trips to 'the likes of' Hereford, Bournemouth and Watford provided a few 'thrills and spills'. Away fans were still being put in the Lyndhurst in those days so there was quite a big crew of Argyle fans over there in readiness - I particularly remember some Crystal Palace (twice) and Blackpool fans looking as though they wished they'd stayed at home.

The promotion season in 85/86 had its moments as well, Wigan away being particularly 'memorable'.

Sep 27, 2003
Paris
I was at the Pompey game in '83 with a Pompey mate.

We stood at the front of Mayflower at Demport end and watched scraps starting all around. One vivid recollection is a skinhead being dragged around the ground from the Lyndy by 3 coppers still spitting and shouting at the Pompey fans, anyone remember him?

I had to catch the train back to Southampton with the Pompey fans afterwards, it wasn't pleasant.

I went to a couple Pompey v Saints games in 80's and not for the faint hearted.