'You don't win anything with kids'! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

'You don't win anything with kids'!

Easy Boys! It was a valid post by BG. You donā€™t have to agree with it. It is popular received wisdom that youngsters will be more inconsistent. Whether Saturdayā€™s side was that young and whether we are inconsistent is debatable.
For me any inconsistency that we might show is more to do with our open style of play. We play a higher risk style of football than most and with higher risk comes the occasional time when the wheels will come off. One example of the higher risk play is the way we play it out from the back. This gives me palpitations but when it works ( which is mostly) it will often lead to attractive attacking passages of play ( as opposed to lumping it upfront). Occasionally one of our back 6 will make a howler leading to a goal. Heā€™ll be crucified on here. However overall the risk is worth taking

Princerock

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Battle of Britain was won by kids....because older pilots were hard to find outside of the cemetery.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I am late to BG's posting, which quoted Alan Hansen's TV statement that 'You don't win anything with kids' when in discussion over the merits of the young Man Utd starlets, who were making headlines at that time. Alan Hansen was subsequently proved wrong in his contention. As a result of this, I cannot quite understand BG's rationale in raising the quotation relative to the single result of last Saturday's team performance by Argyle? It seems to defeat what he is saying.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Thatā€™s a very good point QG. Iā€™d be extremely happy if our kids didnā€™t win anything in the same way Man Uā€™s kids didnā€™t win anything.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Quintrell_Green":10lnzd37 said:
I am late to BG's posting, which quoted Alan Hansen's TV statement that 'You don't win anything with kids' when in discussion over the merits of the young Man Utd starlets, who were making headlines at that time. Alan Hansen was subsequently proved wrong in his contention. As a result of this, I cannot quite understand BG's rationale in raising the quotation relative to the single result of last Saturday's team performance by Argyle? It seems to defeat what he is saying.

Ah QG so right, but Iā€™m afraid your point will be lost on the OP

Voice of Reason

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 30, 2004
The OP still hasn't bothered to answer what the average age of the side was for the previous 5 games - but wants others to do due diligence before engaging with him. Its such a shame this point wasn't brought up after a victory.
My take on it, you need kids in league 2 - for financial reasons as much as anything else.
Currently Mayor is a better player than Jephcott - however should Argyle decide to sell which one would be of greater value?
Despite being "bigger" than the vast majority of clubs in our division, finances are tight, a good cup draw or a blossoming teenager are often "get out of jail" free cards for many teams in our division.
Clearly the conundrum then is the balancing act of experience/youth and the best team possible out on the pitch - to gain promotion. I think by and large we have had that, we have a few guys who have been around and know their stuff.
The issue with young or inexperienced players (true in any sport) its often not knowing or not reacting to a problem quickly enough, spotting whats wrong and adjusting. That is where the management and coaching staff need to be quicker - sadly i think they have been found wanting a few times.
Colchester/Northampton/Cambridge (and although i didn't see it live Exeter) - are all games we started poorly had on the day very obvious flaws but never corrected them.
Personally i dont lay the blame on "inexperienced" players when then happens - thats what the guys in suits/tracksuits on the side get paid for.

Mar 21, 2013
With threads like these Iā€™m glad I mostly stay away from here, things really donā€™t change with some. OP starting a thread asking for people to comment on his poor point, but then gets annoyed when people donā€™t agree with him. What exactly do you want to achieve from this? A thread full of comments agreeing with you & praising how wise you are?

Sep 6, 2006
Don't_Panic":26uojxqk said:
With threads like these Iā€™m glad I mostly stay away from here, things really donā€™t change with some. OP starting a thread asking for people to comment on his poor point, but then gets annoyed when people donā€™t agree with him. What exactly do you want to achieve from this? A thread full of comments agreeing with you & praising how wise you are?

What is amazing(suppose I should have known) is how difficult people find it to understand a basic concept. i.e. that young players are learning their trade and will make mistakes as in any trade. Is that so ridiculous? Two of the goals conceded on Saturday were the result of young players not doing their job. In any event it is a point for discussion. That is the idea of this site I thought.
Just for the record Mr. Dont Panic I have no problem in people disagreeing but when it is in terms of 'pathetic' by an arrogant poster who thinks he knows all the answers then I DO have a problem. Can you see the difference there do you think? It is not a 'poor point' in my opinion as I have explained. If you think so what is your counter argument rather than just making some superficial judgement?
Quite simply playing young players is a risk. Sometimes you get away with it sometimes not, especially when playing against a good side away from home. Regarding the title I am more than aware that Man. U won the Prem with kids. I am not saying we shouldnt play younger players just that is a concern and sometimes you need to get a balance especially in the tougher fixtures.

Voice of Reason

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 30, 2004
So before Saturday with Jephcott and Hardie scoring for fun, Josh Grant playing well - this point wasn't raised.

Sadly BG you write in a manner that you wouldn't converse verbally to with someone at a bar or in an away end, not without risk of personal injury anyway. Its always far too forthright - im clearly right and if you dont get it you are a moron.

We are not an overly young side, so for me its not a valid point.

For me i could spot on (as did many many others) system/style wasn't working at Camb/Col/Northampton within 10/15 mins of the start - but we didn't change until it was far too late or not at all. That fact wouldn't matter if the average age was 18 or 28 - that is where the management need to be more adaptable.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Balham_Green":122zfr9w said:
Don't_Panic":122zfr9w said:

What is amazing(suppose I should have known) is how difficult people find it to understand a basic concept. i.e. that young players are learning their trade and will make mistakes as in any trade. Is that so ridiculous? Two of the goals conceded on Saturday were the result of young players not doing their job. In any event it is a point for discussion. That is the idea of this site I thought.
Just for the record Mr. Dont Panic I have no problem in people disagreeing but when it is in terms of 'pathetic' by an arrogant poster who thinks he knows all the answers then I DO have a problem. Can you see the difference there do you think? It is not a 'poor point' in my opinion as I have explained. If you think so what is your counter argument rather than just making some superficial judgement?
Quite simply playing young players is a risk. Sometimes you get away with it sometimes not, especially when playing against a good side away from home. Regarding the title I am more than aware that Man. U won the Prem with kids. I am not saying we shouldnt play younger players just that is a concern and sometimes you need to get a balance especially in the tougher fixtures.

I can absorb some of that, but I must say that in relation to your thread's original title you have given ground from, 'you don't win anything with kids'

Sep 23, 2003
location, location.
Voice_of_Reason":3ji0p0kf said:
For me i could spot on (as did many many others) system/style wasn't working at Camb/Col/Northampton within 10/15 mins of the start - but we didn't change until it was far too late or not at all. That fact wouldn't matter if the average age was 18 or 28 - that is where the management need to be more adaptable.

Spot on. Sadly those 3 games represent the majority of my Argyle-watching this season. We can't always be that bad otherwise we wouldn't be 4th but it takes a giant leap of faith to believe that vs what I have seen with my own eyes!

Dreamgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Can't we just call it the proverbial "bad day at the office" ? We all get them.

In fact some of the posters on here have several of them from the crap they write sometimes.

Sep 6, 2006
Quintrell_Green":1klievzl said:
Balham_Green":1klievzl said:
Don't_Panic":1klievzl said:

I can absorb some of that, but I must say that in relation to your thread's original title you have given ground from, 'you don't win anything with kids'

The title was just an obvious link with the famous quote and the matter discussed. Seems you have to explain everything on here.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Balham_Green":19na7y55 said:
Quintrell_Green":19na7y55 said:
Balham_Green":19na7y55 said:
Don't_Panic":19na7y55 said:

The title was just an obvious link with the famous quote and the matter discussed. Seems you have to explain everything on here.

That being the case, I would suggest your original post should have been on The Football Forum and not Plymouth Argyle Fans Forum.