Your favourite pasty? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your favourite pasty?

Your favourite pasty

• Ivor Dewdney

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Ginsters

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • The Gorge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Oggy Oggy

Votes: 15 6.7%
  • Pilgrim Pasties

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • Dashers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hingston's

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • The Original Pasty House

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Friary Mill

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Warren’s

Votes: 16 7.1%
  • Lewis

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Philp’s

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Henderson

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Pearce's Snacks

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Denzil's

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Ann’s

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Plympton Bakery

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Homemade

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other

Votes: 26 11.6%

• Total voters

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Is Ivor's like the pasty equivalent of Hershey's chocolate?

Because years ago they couldn't refrigerate the milk, it went off and made the chocolate taste like sick but Americans got used to the taste. Now they deliberately make them taste like vomit :lol:

Ivor's are clearly dying their meat grey and making it taste like salt in much the same way.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Result of a Pasoti poll in 2012. People had no taste back then either. :)

Your favourite pasty?
Friary Mill 21% [ 41 ]
Ivor Dewdney 38% [ 74 ]
Oggy Oggy 21% [ 42 ]
Pilgrim Pasties 12% [ 23 ]
Ron Dewdney 8% [ 16 ]
Total votes : 196

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Not quite a pasty, bit surprisingly reminiscent...

In South America they have Empanadas. In some countries these are the size of party pies, but pasty shaped - and many are crap.

However, in Chile they approach proper pasty size and look near as dammit like a pasty. Inside you can get a variety of fillings. Carne (meat) is the most common, but in Chile they also have "pina empanadas" which have meat, pieces of boiled egg and pitted olives. Not a pasty but a bloody good meal, especially with a hot sauce.

Interesting to see that tried in Deb'n or Cahnwll.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
I posted earlier, but forgot to mention that pasties are not unique to Cornwall, or even the south west.

As an example, as result of emigration pasties are very common in South Australia (but not so in other states).
Miners from Cornwall, and a few from Devon, moved here in the 19th century, and brought their traditions with them.

Personally, the Aussie version is often pretty average, with soggy pastry and grey and mushy contents,..... so it's pretty much as you get at home!

This is a view of a local bakery and a homemade recipe,

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/gle ... 65f51aa0cc

https://indaily.com.au/eat-drink-explor ... ion-alive/

And oh yes. The "pastie" v "pasty" war has been pretty much well and truly lost down under.

Jan 26, 2012
For me it's an Ivors, but I don't have the years some on here have in pasty sampling so will have to return to this poll when it's inevitably run this time next year

Oct 20, 2015
AdelaideGreen":1gycfvyn said:
Not quite a pasty, bit surprisingly reminiscent...

In South America they have Empanadas. In some countries these are the size of party pies, but pasty shaped - and many are crap.

However, in Chile they approach proper pasty size and look near as dammit like a pasty. Inside you can get a variety of fillings. Carne (meat) is the most common, but in Chile they also have "pina empanadas" which have meat, pieces of boiled egg and pitted olives. Not a pasty but a bloody good meal, especially with a hot sauce.

Interesting to see that tried in Deb'n or Cahnwll.

I could get used to that, but I'd need a cool refreshing lager to wash it down with.

If we're in an Italian restaurant I always ask for an Italian Pasty (Calzone)

Jul 12, 2016
If you want a proper pasty it has to be made in Cornwall and not purchased in a supermarket. Homemade are obviously the best but Pearce's butchers in St Austell could show Dewdneys a thing or two when it comes to making decent pasties.
I must admit Dewneys aren't bad value cause you can still taste them hours after eating them!

Apr 15, 2016
The Lewis pasty van before Argyle is fantastic - absolute rugby balls of pasty they are.

If you've voted for Ivor's in this, well you probably also voted Brexit.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
oldage":1p82kkmd said:
If you want a proper pasty it has to be made in Cornwall.

Only copies though! :wave:

Remember, us Devonians invented them.

Jul 12, 2016
Next thing you'll be telling me cream goes before jam on a scone. Think this has already been discussed!