Your first away game? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your first away game?

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Lundan Cabbie":6na7sl18 said:
saxman":6na7sl18 said:
Leeds v Argyle in 1973 at Elland Road. We lost 2-1. It was Revie's invincible crew-cuts in white who were top of the 1st Division versus no-hope Argyle, struggling in the 3rd. When Derek Rickard equalised in the second half I really believed that dreams come true. Leeds weren't playing well and Ernie Machin was bossing the midfield (I think Bremner was injured or suspended). Unfortunately, Leeds score again soon after and that was that. But that feeling of delirious happiness about what can happen in football, possibly more than any other sport, I have never forgotten, and has led me to a lifetime of waiting for the 'sleeping giant' to awaken.

Who would have thought that Leeds would become that sleeping giant instead?

:scarf:

Oct 31, 2015
I have been thinking about this and I think it may have been Villa Park for the Watford semi. Glory hunter :funny:

Mar 17, 2018
Plymouth
Great to read some of these memories - first away match for me & two sons (then 10 and 9) was the infamous Wembley defeat in 2016! Loved being on the tube and spotting/chatting to other Argyle fans but oh, that match and the dejection on the way home.... Thought my boys might never recover but as they say, we go again and we're now season ticket holders. Their next away match experience at Anfield was much more enjoyable!

Aug 8, 2013
My first away game was also my first Argyle game. Dad's work had us
living in Bristol for a few years, and he took me to my first ever game at
Ashton Gate in 1968. Argyle lost 2-0 and got relegated that year, Dad was
totally disgusted with the display, but I loved every minute of it.

The first away game I actually travelled for was at Torquay, late in the
1971-72 season. A similar experience to that of the OP, except that we
lost 2-1 to a Torquay team that was already practically relegated.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
April 1986, Wigan (Springfield Park - what a dump!) in the 1985/86 promotion campaign.

Argyle lost three nil and were lucky to score that many! Awful! Nearly as bad as the Wembley play off embarrassment.

They redeemed themselves by winning the last four games of the season and went up, at the same time denying Wigan a promotion place.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
April 1975. Peterborough vs Argyle

Our last game of the season and Argyle needed a win the guarantee the title.

Unfortunately we lost 1-0 and Blackburn "stole" the title the following Tuesday night.

Huge away following - half of the 11,000 crowd wore green and white. There was a fair bit of crowd trouble which started early in the day (our coach laughed as we heard the early reports - and the coach was full of Argyle employees). The local police completely mismanaged the situation and tried to "take on" the after game crowd invasion on the pitch. Bad days for Argyle's reputation.

We were still promoted as runners up, so not the worse trip home.

Dec 28, 2018
23rd Aug 1969 at Torquay. We won 2-1 with goals from Bickle & Tedesco. My main memory of that game was an impressive performance by Richard Reynolds. If I recall correctly Reynolds was a bit of a 'marmite' player, but as a young teenager I always liked him.

Jan 18, 2007
Bournemouth & Boscombe as they were then verses Argyle 74/75 ish it was the one away game with my dad, we went to visit my nan before the game as he was a Bournemouth boy. Now my memory has become a bit blurred or it may be the green tint, but i think we won seven three, at least that's my memory. I was hooked, now my oldest son is Tommy from Sir Thomas of Tynan with the Middle name Argyle, yes he hates me. Lol

D

Darren Stoneman

Not sure it was my first, but 2 memorable ones

Away at Peterborough with Lunarjetman, mugged in London on the Friday night, caught up in trouble after the game as the posh fans demostrated against John Still.

Other was Cardiff away, won 0-1 Nugent scored, leaving the game we get stopped at traffic lights outside of the Ninian Arms, suddenly a large number spotted the Argyle Shirts and proceeded to trash my car,

most frightening away days

Oct 31, 2015
Darren Stoneman":3m010cyi said:
Not sure it was my first, but 2 memorable ones

Away at Peterborough with Lunarjetman, mugged in London on the Friday night, caught up in trouble after the game as the posh fans demostrated against John Still.

Other was Cardiff away, won 0-1 Nugent scored, leaving the game we get stopped at traffic lights outside of the Ninian Arms, suddenly a large number spotted the Argyle Shirts and proceeded to trash my car,

most frightening away days

Was it your car that got a kick in? I remember this happening as I was at that match :shocked:

D

Darren Stoneman

Yes it was my car, drove all the way back with one light and no windscreen wipers! And a sad picture in the herald of me with a dodgy rash looking forlorn at my trashed car , those were the days!

Dec 29, 2011
Aldershot away at the Rec Tuesday night 73/74.Lost 3.2 .A portent for what was to follow .Took 23 games to see my first away win(Chelsea league cup 2.1)

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
chichestergreen":3shbxh15 said:
Bournemouth & Boscombe as they were then verses Argyle 74/75 ish it was the one away game with my dad, we went to visit my nan before the game as he was a Bournemouth boy. Now my memory has become a bit blurred or it may be the green tint, but i think we won seven three, at least that's my memory. I was hooked, now my oldest son is Tommy from Sir Thomas of Tynan with the Middle name Argyle, yes he hates me. Lol

My first away game as well - 7-3 win and 5-0 up at half time.
Remember all the coaches being held outside Bournemouth with everyone emptying their bladders in the forest after the stop in Dorchester.

A great day out.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Definitely Torquay away, an evening game in the late 60s. All a bit hazy but back in those days the gate would have been well into 5 figures and I remember stopping halfway at the pub at the top of Ivybridge, the men going in for a pint and me having crisps and a coke brought out to the car. Torquay were a good 3rd tier side in those days with the likes of Fryatt, Stubbs and Jimmy Dunne.