Your first away game? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your first away game?

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
My first away day was either Bristol City or Cardiff circa 1966. I think it was the first time Argyle employed the services of the Pilgrim Express - a chartered train.
I went on a number of these Pilgrim Express trips in the late sixties including Sheff Wed (FA Cup) '67, and several London visits.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Dreamgreen":1tzg2snw said:
My first away day was either Bristol City or Cardiff circa 1966. I think it was the first time Argyle employed the services of the Pilgrim Express - a chartered train.
I went on a number of these Pilgrim Express trips in the late sixties including Sheff Wed (FA Cup) '67, and several London visits.

I wonder if it was Bristol City as my post above? Being the first Pilgrim Express might well explain why I went on that one. :think:

Aug 14, 2014
Something of a list this reply.

At Plainmoor in the 1960/61 season Argyle v Ipswich Town in the Second Division. Argyle really the home team as Home Park was closed as punishment for a bottle throwing incident.

At St Just in the early 1960s when Argyle would send a team to play St Just during the local Feast celebrations. The Argyle side usually contained a few first team players and the occasional Cornish youngster as a trialist.

At Fratton Park in the 1980/81 season Portsmouth v Argyle Football League Cup 1st round, 2-1 to Portsmouth. First true away first team fixture, the next one would be some 25 years later at Southampton.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
December 1964 Cardiff city away...lost 4-0 and Frank Lord broke his leg in a tackle with Cardiff centre half Don Murray...always go back there even to this day and seen some wins....the best was Pullis's victory there a few years ago...one of the best....

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":2vqxtjjd said:
Lundan Cabbie":2vqxtjjd said:
November 1974. 3-3 draw at Selhurst Park

:whistle:

That would be the season Argyle got promoted Palace didnt... :thumbs:

It was indeed. Mind you, I think Argyle just vanished off the face of the earth after that. We took another two years to get out of that league and then looked everywhere for Argyle, even the First Division but couldn't find them anywhere for more than ten years. Where did you hide?

:whistle:

Graham Green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
May 26, 2010
Swindon
April 1971 Evening game. I was 13 and went with parents on the coach. Traffic hold up (pre M5?) Got to Eastville with 20 mins left. Police shoved us in Tote end (Home end) just as Davey put us 3-1 up. We went mad and it kicked off. Luckily some handy lads on coach and they held off Their lot. Came out and coach windows smashed! Bloody long cold trip home!