Your first away game? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your first away game?

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
PeterJS":1u7aceot said:
Sunday 3 December 1995
FC Cup, second round
Kingstonian 1-2 Argyle

Not my first, but remember this one as a young lad. Some goal by Littlejohn if I remember! Whenever i have been back to that ground to watch Argyle play Wimbledon in more recent years, I always remember what a great FA cup day out that was. You don't see people lobbing toilet rolls and throwing chopped up newspaper from carrier bags into the air anymore, I used to love that when the players came out.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I think my first would have been Plainmoor c. 1971/72 or maybe earlier. Argyle fans took over the home end (as sometimes happened in those quaint old days) and spent half the match rather robustly questioning Robin Stubbs' sexuality to the tune of Jesus Christ Superstar.

Lesmin

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 14, 2011
QPR away in 1974 the league cup won 3-0 went with a couple of school friends they where going on about how many they were going to beat us. It was very quiet journey back home afterwards on the tube

Jan 28, 2005
Barrie Davis":2aaxs913 said:
19 August 1967 - first game of the season against Cardiff City. Got driven up by a mate and his brother in a Singer Vogue. We drew 1-1, went 1 down but drew level with a John Mitten goal in the second half. The only thin I remember about Ninian Park was the slightly uneasy experience of the away terracing being wooden planks above people walking below. Would never be allowed now.
I was there! Went with my parents in an Austin Cambridge A55 over the Severn Bridge. My Dad bought a Singer Vogue to replace it. My first away game and only trip outside of England until I was 21. I think John Newman intentionally handled to concede a penalty. Wasn't our goal very late? I was only 9 and don't remember much else. Remember the home game when we beat them 7-1.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Apart from the Darlington play-off final at Wembley, mine was the Cheltenham Town away game in November 2001. It was a very boring 0-0 draw but the journey home was eventful. I had travelled up with Steve Hill who ran the club website. We had a short stint in the pub by the ground after the game and ended up giving a lift to another member of the club staff who was somewhat the worse for wear (I'll be kind and not name them). Steve was driving (a pretty new Alfa Romeo no less and my first ever experience of heated seats) and I was in the passenger seat; our 'guest' was in the back. We were speeding back down the M5 just north of Gordano (I think) when suddenly there was a load of groaning behind us, a hastily opened window and a failed attempt by the guest to puke forcefully out of it. When you are travelling at 70+ mph and not very well coordinated, most of what goes out comes back in again... We pulled over at the services and there was a bit of an attempt to clear up the worst of the mess, but my main memory was of Steve buying pretty much every air freshener that he could get his hands on. I am not sure that my lungs have ever recovered from inhaling so much of whatever it is that they put in those things. As I said, the game itself was mostly boring, although now I come to think of it I think there was a scuffle in the tunnel at halftime which added a bit of excitement, but the whole trip was certainly memorable and although I know that the car had a full valet the next day I've always wondered whether it was ever really the same again.

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
For me 31st March 1975 2-2 at Gillingham. I think it was an Easter Monday evening game and we came back from 2-0 down.

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
Winchelsea Green":29nqivf2 said:
...was also my first Argyle game, at The Goldstone Ground, just before Christmas 1974. A thoughtful friend found me a copy of the programme for my 40th a few years ago. 2-2.

Likewise, being a little'un living in Eastbourne at the time (Grandson of an exile) , my first game was at the Goldstone.

As a 6 year old, I was more taken by the crowd and everything that was going on. I wasn't sure who had actually scored as my Dad had us sat in with the Brighton fans rather than on the away terrace.

Apr 7, 2006
Yeovil Town 0 Argyle 2. FA Cup 2nd Round 9th December 1972. I was allowed to go along at the tender age of 11 years with friends on the basis that there would be no trouble in a game with a friendly non league club. Unfortunately this did not prove to be the case due to the presence of a large number of Bristol City yobs who traveled down spoiling for a fight. We beat Middlesbrough 1-0 in the next round (who included Graeme Souness and Nobby Stiles) before losing 2-1 to Leeds at Elland Road in a game mentioned earlier in this thread.

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
ealinggreen":24igplno said:
Early 60s for me. Ashton gate, I don't remember a lot about it other than we lost one nil,Dave McLaren was in goal and there were lots of Argyle fans egged on by a drummer. Dad blamed McLaren for losing, consequently and no doubt unfairly,I have always thought of him as being a crap keeper.

I think I still have the programme from that match.Gave my programme collection away when we came to NZ in 1970 but somehow that one ended up making the journey.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Bernie Bernbaum":697pyplt said:
For me 31st March 1975 2-2 at Gillingham. I think it was an Easter Monday evening game and we came back from 2-0 down.

It was an Easter Monday afternoon kick off, Bernie, and I remember having driven to Central Park with my then girlfriend, for a walk. I would have preferred to have stayed home and listened to score updates on the radio, myself! I sneaked a 'listen' to the half time score on the car radio as we parked up. 2-0 down had me in a right moody. The walk wasn't the merriest, I can tell you. I 'arranged' for us to get back to the car just before the 5 o'clock Sports Report and when I heard that they had got a point I was bouncing around all over the place. My girlfriend couldn't understand why my grumpiness had suddenly vanished - but that's girls for you! :lol: :scarf:

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
One thing I regret is that I don’t have the usual football fan memory. I struggle to remember many results, games and scorers etc and lo and behold, I haven’t a clue what my first away game was! I know mates who can recall matchday stuff that saw in 1983 like it was yesterday - not I.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Forest of Dean Green":1t4m4vry said:
One thing I regret is that I don’t have the usual football fan memory. I struggle to remember many results, games and scorers etc and lo and behold, I haven’t a clue what my first away game was! I know mates who can recall matchday stuff that saw in 1983 like it was yesterday - not I.

I'm the same Forest unless something happens that fixes a game/moment in my mind. After all, football is mainly just an entertainment, watch an episode, enjoy it, forget it, look forward to the next one, like a soap. Not something I'd take a degree in or answer a quiz on (cos I can't!)

Ergo, I think my first away game might have been Ashton Gate in the 60's? Special train? skinheads/bovver boots (early incarnation?). I remember losing 1-0? Chris Garland played (very young) I'm sure he came on as a sub? I remember the name John Atyeo but wonder if he played? 66 was his last season?

I remember standing on a huge terrace with a big copper in front of me. Every time the crowd surged forward I pushed the copper in the back! So he turns around and says: Do that again son and you're out!! So I spent the rest of the game holding back thousands of fans like Atlas holding up the world!! Why didn't I just move? It was packed out tho' :scarf:

Anyone can help me and Forest out with the '?'s I'd be very grateful!! ;)