England Euro Squad | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England Euro Squad

May 22, 2006
Provisional Squad:

Forster
Hart
Heaton

Bertrand
Cahill
Clyne
Rose
Smalling
Stones
Walker

Alli
Barkley
Delph
Dier
Drinkwater
Lallana
Milner
Townsend
Wilshere

Kane
Rashford
Rooney
Sterling
Sturridge
Vardy

N

NorfolkGreen

I don't get why Roy says he is not taking Walcott because he hasn't played much this season, but is taking Wilshere.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
SurreyGreen":1kiqjkj3 said:
Actually found out about a month ago listening to 5 live that you have to take 3 keepers, didn't know that!

Has been the case in the WC since 1930. Looking back in the Euro championships, at least to 1988 countries submitted squads of 20 players (2 goalies) but there seemed to be a change in '92 where a couple of teams were allowed a third goalie - and so 21 players. From England '96 all teams had 3 goalies (England had Seaman, Flowers and Ian Walker for that tournament in the squad).

NorfolkGreen":1kiqjkj3 said:
I wonder how many times in tournaments a team has needed to use its 3rd choice.

Don't think there has been any occasion in the Euro championships, but this Guardian article for the WC2010 had a few occasions in the World Cup where the third goalie in the squad has been called upon. But, given the overall number of games played, these are most definitely the exceptions to the rule.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
NorfolkGreen":1zl8yxly said:
It seems as though the vast majority of the 23 man squad is a given, but who will be in it? I think the 22 below are virtually certain to go, who will fill the remaining spot or who will not go and who will they be replaced with in the 23? Probably one less defender and an additional midfielder? I'm never sure of the purpose of taking 3 keepers, I wonder how many times in tournaments a team has needed to use its 3rd choice.

Hart
Forster
Heaton

Cahill
Smalling
Jagielka
Rose
Walker
Stones
Bertrand
Clyne

Sterling
Barkley
Alli
Dier
Henderson
Lallana

Kane
Vardy
Rooney
Sturridge
Wellbeck
I heard someone on Talksport tonight saying that we have so few players these days that Hodgson doesn't really have much of a job to choose a squad. But your first 22 was a remarkable effort - 19 right. Jagielka is the only one you chose who isn't going on form/ability reasons. Wellbeck was injured since you posted this and Henderson looked like he would still be injured when the squad was named. Wilshere surprises me - I don't think he has had enough football. Anyway, well done and hope your Dad is okay!

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
I was surprised Walcott wasn't in the provisional squad but there's probably still a chance of him being called up to replace an injury, and he can be a replacement for a striker or a midfielder. He would also have something to prove.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I like how in an age of so little choice and a team that almost picks itself, Roy has still managed to get his team hugely wrong :facepalm: :lol:

Jan 4, 2009
Plymouth
Defoe has had his time and hasn't really ever done it for England. Personally think the strikers he has picked are the best we have at the moment.. Not surprised Walcott isn't in the squad has barely started for Arsenal and did not deserve a place.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Lee Payne":2z00xwb1 said:
Defoe has had his time and hasn't really ever done it for England. Personally think the strikers he has picked are the best we have at the moment.. Not surprised Walcott isn't in the squad has barely started for Arsenal and did not deserve a place.

Defoe is always a player you can rely on to get you goals when you need them as Sunderland fans will tell you.

I still remember that goal in 2010, we'd had a horrible group stage and couldn't find a goal in our final game to go through, up steps Defoe to keep our tournament alive despite an otherwise pee poor performance from England to struggle through the groups.

Personally I'd have taken him if not to give Rashford a rest physically and from the limelight over the summer. Then again some would say if you're good enough then you're old enough, he's had a cracking first season so I'm not too disappointed that Defoe misses out in place of Rashford.

Jan 4, 2009
Plymouth
Ollieargyle9":35irr917 said:
Lee Payne":35irr917 said:

Defoe is always a player you can rely on to get you goals when you need them as Sunderland fans will tell you.

I still remember that goal in 2010, we'd had a horrible group stage and couldn't find a goal in our final game to go through, up steps Defoe to keep our tournament alive despite an otherwise pi$$ poor performance from England to struggle through the groups.

Personally I'd have taken him if not to give Rashford a rest physically and from the limelight over the summer. Then again some would say if you're good enough then you're old enough, he's had a cracking first season so I'm not too disappointed that Defoe misses out in place of Rashford.

I can't see Rashford going either once the squad is trimmed down unless Hodgson goes with 5 strikers instead of 4

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
Here it is with Sturridge, Wilshere and Rashford in; Drinkwater and Towsend out.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United).

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36413882

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Panini got it a bit wrong... where are Phil Jones, Luke Shaw, Leighton Baines, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott and Danny Welbeck? I feel like I should ask for a refund, especially for Leighton 'Got [again...]' Baines.