England Euro Squad | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England Euro Squad

N

NorfolkGreen

It seems as though the vast majority of the 23 man squad is a given, but who will be in it? I think the 22 below are virtually certain to go, who will fill the remaining spot or who will not go and who will they be replaced with in the 23? Probably one less defender and an additional midfielder? I'm never sure of the purpose of taking 3 keepers, I wonder how many times in tournaments a team has needed to use its 3rd choice.

Hart
Forster
Heaton

Cahill
Smalling
Jagielka
Rose
Walker
Stones
Bertrand
Clyne

Sterling
Barkley
Alli
Dier
Henderson
Lallana

Kane
Vardy
Rooney
Sturridge
Wellbeck

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
NorfolkGreen":18ng08mc said:
It seems as though the vast majority of the 23 man squad is a given, but who will be in it? I think the 22 below are virtually certain to go, who will fill the remaining spot or who will not go and who will they be replaced with in the 23? Probably one less defender and an additional midfielder? I'm never sure of the purpose of taking 3 keepers, I wonder how many times in tournaments a team has needed to use its 3rd choice.

Hart
Forster
Heaton

Cahill
Smalling
Jagielka
Rose
Walker
Stones
Bertrand
Clyne

Sterling
Barkley
Alli
Dier
Henderson
Lallana

Kane
Vardy
Rooney
Sturridge
Wellbeck

Not a bad looking squad although, Foster for Heaton maybe.

Not enough in central midfield for me, so an extra defensive midfielder I'd add. Perhaps Drinkwater or Wilshire if he regains fitness.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I'm a big fan of Rooney's, I think he's often criticised harshly when England as a whole underperform. However, I would not include him in this squad on present form. He may return from injury and score several hattricks before the end of the season, but currently I cannot see what he adds to the squad. I feel like he's just going to slow down the high intensity, high energy performances that Hodgeson is going for. He's going to be included though, which is a shame as a more deserving player will miss out.

I think that that'll be the 22, which leaves Walcott, Ox, Milner, Drinkwater and Wilshere going for the final place. On form it should be Drinkwater, who did his case no harm against Holland. Milner is a tough one to leave out however as he can play in pretty much any role across the midfield and having a utility man like him is always handy. Hodgeson however has promised Wilshere a space in the squad so long as he's fit. Wilshere is a good player and I'm a fan of Roy, but I think he's been foolish in the handling of Wilshere and Rooney's squad positions. It's almost disrespectful of the players who have performed so well and should see themselves in contention.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
My squad:

Hart, Forster, Heaton.

Clyne, Walker, Smalling, Stones, Cahill, Gibbs, Rose.

Dier, Wilshere, Alli, Drinkwater, Barkley, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling.

Welbeck, Kane, Vardy, Carroll, Rooney.

It is very possible I have forgotten someone. Sturridge won't start and doesn't do enough for England, so i'd rather take Big Andy as a different option. Walcott is just too out of form and isn't much use off the bench, whereas Ox is a genuine impact sub. I've gone for 3 CB's because Jagielka is rubbish and Dier can fill in there.

Not sure how i'd lineup my first XI though. Wilshere/Dier/Alli/Rooney can't really all fit in one midfield.

Can't wait to be at the final group game and HOPEFULLY the round of 16 tie. Got tickets for both!

Sep 13, 2003
Nobby":4z34l3kp said:
My squad:

Hart, Forster, Heaton.

Dier, Wilshere, Alli, Drinkwater, Barkley, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling.

It is very possible I have forgotten someone. Sturridge won't start and doesn't do enough for England, so i'd rather take Big Andy as a different option. Walcott is just too out of form and isn't much use off the bench, whereas Ox is a genuine impact sub. I've gone for 3 CB's because Jagielka is rubbish and Dier can fill in there.

Not sure how i'd lineup my first XI though. Wilshere/Dier/Alli/Rooney can't really all fit in one midfield.

Can't wait to be at the final group game and HOPEFULLY the round of 16 tie. Got tickets for both!

Andy Carroll?! Scores 3 goals against a team who cannot defend and suddenly he is back in fashion. I'd rather have Ian Ormondroyd.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Clarke_B":19we4it0 said:
Nobby":19we4it0 said:
My squad:

Hart, Forster, Heaton.

Andy Carroll?! Scores 3 goals against a team who cannot defend and suddenly he is back in fashion. I'd rather have Ian Ormondroyd.

I've always liked Carroll, it's from a personal point of view. He gives England a different option, someone to throw the cat amongst the pigeons late on if we need a goal. Brings way more to the current setup than Daniel Sturridge on current form IMO.

Plus, Arsenals defence until yesterday was statistically third best in the league.

I think Caroll deserves a mention yes he scored a hat trick the other day, and others recently since he came back from injury. When he's on form he's unplayable and we don't have a striker like that in the squad. Gives us a plan b or if we need to go long he's perfect for it. For me he's a poor mans Zlatan Imbrahimvic

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
"when he's on form he's unplayable and we don't have a striker like that in the squad"?!? What you been smoking Carl, we've Vardy and Kane in the squad. Rooney on his day is unplayable. As is Sturridge, hell even Welbeck. Hartley believes that on Argyle's day we're the best team in the league...

I all fairness I like Carroll and on current form he's my fifth choice striker, but I'd only take four strikers as I think we need to prioritise versatility in the midfield.

SwimWithTheTide":25gic07f said:
"when he's on form he's unplayable and we don't have a striker like that in the squad"?!? What you been smoking Carl, we've Vardy and Kane in the squad. Rooney on his day is unplayable. As is Sturridge, hell even Welbeck. Hartley believes that on Argyle's day we're the best team in the league...

I all fairness I like Carroll and on current form he's my fifth choice striker, but I'd only take four strikers as I think we need to prioritise versatility in the midfield.

For what it's worth I don't smoke. Carrol is completely a different type of player to Kane and Vardy, which is why he could be a plan B. But I doubt he will go anyway, it's come to early for him.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
The way you wrote we don't have a striker like that, it read as we don't have a striker who is unplayable when on form. That's what I couldn't believe. Like I say, I'm a fan of Carroll, but he doesn't make my squad. And I don't think he'll be in Roys unless we suffer a bout of injuries.

Jun 8, 2014
1 Hart
2 Walker
3 Rose
4 Dier
5 Smalling
6 Stones
7 Vardy
8 Wilshere
9 Kane
10 Alli
11 Sturridge
12 Forster
13 Heaton
14 Cahill
15 Bertrand
16 Clyne
17 Drinkwater
18 Delph
19 Zaha
20 Barkley
21 Welbeck
22 Sterling
23 Carroll

This for me if all are fit. 1-11 would be my starting line-up.