Argyle “It is what it is” | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle “It is what it is”

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Bristol Rich":2itdugh7 said:
IJN":2itdugh7 said:
Bristol Rich":2itdugh7 said:
It is what it is a a very defeatist British statement.

socialfeed-team-gb-have-finished-2nd-in-the-medals-table-from-the-bag.png

:greensmile:

Yes pity it's a rarity! You have checked our international football record?
Yep, I have. England are below Wales in the rankings.

May 1, 2011
IJN":wa3x2eqr said:
Bristol Rich":wa3x2eqr said:

Oh I see, it's a British football comment is it? Sorry, I didn't realise you meant that.

The Olympics was fantastic and I loved it but British success at an international sporting event is a huge rarity.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Bristol Rich":28soywy0 said:
IJN":28soywy0 said:
Bristol Rich":28soywy0 said:

Oh I see, it's a British football comment is it? Sorry, I didn't realise you meant that.

The Olympics was fantastic and I loved it but British success at an international sporting event is a huge rarity.

Lewis Hamilton and Andy Murray would disagree and I'm sure there's more.

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
Yep certainly been a difficult recent history. Dropping down the leagues, been in league 2 for far too long, haven't had a proper decent home cup tie for years (Quarters v Watford 2007 and Everton in 2005 top of my head??). I think the crowds have held up pretty well to be honest!!

May 1, 2011
IJN":259z64xt said:
Bristol Rich":259z64xt said:
IJN":259z64xt said:
Bristol Rich":259z64xt said:

Lewis Hamilton and Andy Murray would disagree and I'm sure there's more.

Andy Murray is great, but it took over 70 years to get a winner at a tournament we organise every year. It was 60 years before we could ever get a half decent competitor. To be fair I have to be honest and say I couldn't care less about motorsport so I don't count it.

Sep 6, 2006
I cant get my head around that medal table as if we were a sporting superpower when the vast majority of the population are couch potatoes and many are obese.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
IJN":m55rp9pe said:
Bristol Rich":m55rp9pe said:
It is what it is a a very defeatist British statement.

socialfeed-team-gb-have-finished-2nd-in-the-medals-table-from-the-bag.png

:greensmile:
Not quite sure what your point is here Ian in posting a chart of the final Olympic medals table. Our successes in Rio have not happened by chance.

Neither is it just the result of a lot of hard work by the athletes and their coaches. It has been a long time in the making and cost many millions of pounds.

Our recent excellent Olympic performances are the result of significant investment in a number of sports from the Lottery and other sources dating back 20 years and initiated by John Major after our dismal performance at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996.

If Argyle (or any other club) had sustained investment over such a long period of time, perhaps we would be similarly successful and we wouldn't have to settle for the gallant loser/failure role we so readily accept.

I am proud to be British and quite patriotic, but in what other country would someone like Eddie the Eagle be celebrated?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
My point is Davem that Rich stated '`It what it is' was a typical British statement.

Your words above prove that it probably most certainly isn't typically British.

May 1, 2011
IJN":1uyhycl0 said:
My point is Davem that Rich stated '`It what it is' was a typical British statement.

Your words above prove that it probably most certainly isn't typically British.

Can I just check are you arguing we are a successful sporting country based on one Olympic's success?

We glorify losers and we always have done. Do you think the Germans have to get sentimental about 2 semi finals since 1966?

To add to my point I just watched a show about how terrible English cricket was in the 1990s!