Bob Marley mug. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bob Marley mug.

Sep 20, 2003
oddball":3g2rmcsu said:
IJN ...disagree with you completely ...you... and you alone are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill....for what purpose I dont understand...the fans sang a song ...it could have been "always look on the bright side of life"...game changing ? ...you're... having a laugh ..

Al, relax mate.

I disagree with you completely. The Devonport end did start with "always look on the bright side of life" but it didn't catch on (thankfully). Two little birds was completely random however it summed up the feeling of the crowd, that's why it caught and 75% were singing it.

"Mountain out of a molehill"? ........ No, just reliving and remembering what was probably the most emotional moment I have had at a sporting event (and I have followed different sports all over the world).

I suppose you had to be there to appreciate it.

Feb 21, 2011
Wozzer":2k0i10sa said:
oddball":2k0i10sa said:
IJN ...disagree with you completely ...you... and you alone are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill....for what purpose I dont uunderstand...the fans sang a song ...it could have been "always look on the bright side of life"...game changing ? ...you're... having a laugh ..

Al, relax mate.

I disagree with you completely. The Devonport end did start with "always look on the bright side of life" but it didn't catch on (thankfully). Two little birds was completely random however it summed up the feeling of the crowd, that's why it caught and 75% were singing it.

"Mountain out of a molehill"? ........ No, just reliving and remembering what was probably the most emotional moment I have had at a sporting event (and I have followed different sports all over the world).

Agreed never been in an atmosphere quite like that before at any sporting event, maybe my love of Argyle had something to do with it but it was a special night and you got the feeling the club had finally turned closed the dark chapter of administration etc.

Jun 22, 2008
Taunton
BadBoy":1u856q05 said:
Wozzer":1u856q05 said:
oddball":1u856q05 said:
IJN ...disagree with you completely ...you... and you alone are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill....for what purpose I dont uunderstand...the fans sang a song ...it could have been "always look on the bright side of life"...game changing ? ...you're... having a laugh ..

Al, relax mate.

Agreed never been in an atmosphere quite like that before at any sporting event, maybe my love of Argyle had something to do with it but it was a special night and you got the feeling the club had finally turned closed the dark chapter of administration etc.

I'm now in my 32nd year of going to Argyle (not every game etc etc so I'm clearly not a proper fan) but the singing of TLB in the home leg was the single most impressive thing in all that time and I include in that FA Cup runs, Championship promotion matches etc etc.

If you weren't there to experience it you can't comment. You will sadly never know and have to just believe the rest of us.

'twas proper good.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It's only me though!

Hope you feel better this morning Odders.

Apr 6, 2009
i completely agree it was a 'you had to be there moment'

it was amazing and obviously indescribable!

Dec 3, 2005
Why don't we have a 'Supporters Mug' at least we will always be here :)

Though some people might actually think we ARE mugs lol.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
katkin":laldqtw8 said:
i completely agree it was a 'you had to be there moment'

it was amazing and obviously indescribable!

Problem is. Oddballl wasn't.

Sep 3, 2009
I wasn't there either (only at the away leg) so won't comment on what the atmosphere was like. For what it's worth, I did discuss it with a friend who was and he confirmed it was amazing. Fair play.

I think, though, I might be right in saying that what the disdainful among us are keen to vocalise is that it would be 'typical bleddy Argo' to try to immortalise a song which saw us come back from 3-0 down to lose 3-2. It wasn't a comeback of Rushden & Diamonds proportions, which truly did see the start of something magical. Not only that but we messed up any momentum gained by swiftly being 3 goals down again 30 minutes into the 2nd leg.

Time will tell if it grows. I'm in the cynical camp - mainly because I think these things need to be organic, rather than forced in cyberspace.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Agree entirely, at least this one comes from a fan and not the club or some gobby ex manager.

Time will tell.

Jun 22, 2008
Taunton
I know this has been done on other threads so i am going to hold back on all the analysis, but it did occur to me on the way to work this morning what made it so special - for me anyway.

So... here it is.

I have no idea if the singing lifted the players and motivated them to score the two goals - possibly no, possibly yes. But... what made it special for me is that i felt that as fans we at least deserved to have the team score. We have put a lot of effort in to supporting the team through thick and thin (and there has been a lot of thin over the last 8 years) and to a small extent those two goals felt like a bit of payback.

It was possibly just coincidence that we had stumbled across a new song and they may have scored the two goals anyway, but for me the 'coincidence' was one I shall remember for a long time.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I was there (at Home Park) and it was a truly special/magical few minutes. Something really inexplicable and indescribable happened.

For me, the key thing was that it was a demonstration of 'acceptance' by the Argyle fans. Those there that night accepted that things were pretty rubbish and accepted that no amount of getting frustrated or angry about things would help. We surrendered en masse to that knowledge and then, by doing so, came together to deliver a kind of aura/energy that I am sure MUST have been absorbed by the players. I am not at all a mystic person. I am a boring, 49 year old, highly sceptical and usually rather critical person so I am not one to make something of nothing here. It was a really very impressive piece of Stoicism and you really HAD to be there. I watched it back on the TV and was really disappointed by the extent to which what it felt like to be there was not captured on the screen.

Whether the song has life beyond that night as an anthem for the club remains to be seen. I suspect it doesn't. In many ways the lights were the most impressive aspect I think.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Time will tell Tim.

I have a felling it will stay with us, possibly only when we are up against it, but we'll have to wait and see.

What I find a bit difficult to take though is a person who didn't attend gobbing off that it is only me that thinks this song is special.

Won't have that, simply because it's a load of claptrap no doubt picked up from darker parts of the internet.

I've heard people say that they have read it was 'staged'. Yeah right. :facepalm: :roll:

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
The Doctor":1z1jolny said:
I was there (at Home Park) and it was a truly special/magical few minutes. Something really inexplicable and indescribable happened.

For me, the key thing was that it was a demonstration of 'acceptance' by the Argyle fans. Those there that night accepted that things were pretty rubbish and accepted that no amount of getting frustrated or angry about things would help. We surrendered en masse to that knowledge and then, by doing so, came together to deliver a kind of aura/energy that I am sure MUST have been absorbed by the players. I am not at all a mystic person. I am a boring, 49 year old, highly sceptical and usually rather critical person so I am not one to make something of nothing here. It was a really very impressive piece of Stoicism and you really HAD to be there. I watched it back on the TV and was really disappointed by the extent to which what it felt like to be there was not captured on the screen.

Whether the song has life beyond that night as an anthem for the club remains to be seen. I suspect it doesn't. In many ways the lights were the most impressive aspect I think.
:clap:
I agree Doc

M

MikeN

I was there, and was a special moment. I have no idea how much it lifted the players, but that's irrelevant really. It lifted that fans, and for that reason alone it was a truly memorable experience.

If we're singing it at every game, or trying to make it a club anthem, it will get very, very old, very, very quickly. You can't recreate spontaneity.