Bob Marley mug. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bob Marley mug.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
The Doctor":390gl7w2 said:
I was there (at Home Park) and it was a truly special/magical few minutes. Something really inexplicable and indescribable happened.

For me, the key thing was that it was a demonstration of 'acceptance' by the Argyle fans. Those there that night accepted that things were pretty rubbish and accepted that no amount of getting frustrated or angry about things would help. We surrendered en masse to that knowledge and then, by doing so, came together to deliver a kind of aura/energy that I am sure MUST have been absorbed by the players. I am not at all a mystic person. I am a boring, 49 year old, highly sceptical and usually rather critical person so I am not one to make something of nothing here. It was a really very impressive piece of Stoicism and you really HAD to be there. I watched it back on the TV and was really disappointed by the extent to which what it felt like to be there was not captured on the screen.

Whether the song has life beyond that night as an anthem for the club remains to be seen. I suspect it doesn't. In many ways the lights were the most impressive aspect I think.

Good post Doc, sums up my feelings exactly.

I think a lot can be said for the fact that it is only those who weren't there that don't really understand the hype of those who went. It is understandable simply because the coverage didn't do the atmosphere that night justice. Even if Sky didn't try their best to dub out the fans the TV still doesn't put across the feeling that swept Home Park that evening. As people have said, in however long they have supported this club they have never experienced anything like it and I doubt any of us will experience anything like it again.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
It was magical and it could (possibly) have carried us through the second leg but someone took that nhigh and strangled it at birth by not playing the team that were lifted by it but starting with the usual suspects.
We (he!) should have gambled, wasted effort, wasted karma, magic tricks exposed by cynics!

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
There was an extraordinary atmosphere to that game at Home Park.

Had we won the second leg two nil and qualified for the final, I would probably remember it very fondly. However, we didn't. We lost for the second game in a row. Over 48 game we failed to win promotion.

Some Argyle fans get way too excited about small things (kits, songs, etc) compared to the important things such as promotion and being successful.

In my opinion, the last thing we need is Argyle fans jumping at the opportunity of us losing 2-0 or 3-0 so they can wheel out 'our song'. Losing isn't something to be celebrated.

Prolonging this whole thing would make us seem incredibly village, it is all rather cringeworthy in opinion.

I don't feel bad about the singing that night, I don't feel great about it. It is just something that happened.

Time to move on.

Apr 28, 2015
Cornwall
Phil Sloggett":2jfx11dc said:

Had we won the second leg two nil and qualified for the final, I would probably remember it very fondly. However, we didn't. We lost for the second game in a row. Over 48 game we failed to win promotion.

Some Argyle fans get way too excited about small things (kits, songs, etc) compared to the important things such as promotion and being successful.

In my opinion, the last thing we need is Argyle fans jumping at the opportunity of us losing 2-0 or 3-0 so they can wheel out 'our song'. Losing isn't something to be celebrated.

Prolonging this whole thing would make us seem incredibly village, it is all rather cringeworthy in opinion.

I don't feel bad about the singing that night, I don't feel great about it. It is just something that happened.

Time to move on.
That's the one. :clap:

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
SepAtterbury":2cd3tssc said:
Phil Sloggett":2cd3tssc said:

Time to move on.
That's the one. :clap:

Only time will tell but it could well be a change in attitude from the fans when we are behind. Obviously in hindsight it ultimately wasn't to be but that 5 minutes could well have seen the greatest comeback since Lazarus and it might well change the moaning, booing reaction to going behind.

Of course it was ironic as we've not come back from a losing position for 2 years + now but it does now give a sense of we can. For any anthem to work it has to be song at the right time, cruising to a victory is probably not that time but if it lifts the team to achieve something next season what's the harm.

Not sure of the phone lights but that was spontaneous also so it captured the night. When Wycombe did it as a gesture of mocking so what, the very fact they did it meant it added to what happened on the pitch.

The song doesn't celebrate failure, it recognises that the team and fans tried to make something of adversity.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
I frankly don't care if it becomes 'our song' or not. It was the most magical 10 minutes I've ever had at argyle. It was a moment. It meant something to me and the 14,000 people there, in that moment in time, in those circumstances, and as a clarion call that turned some of the bile of the last 5 years into something really special and unified. It was our moment, for our club. If it sticks around, fine. If not, then I will always have shared that moment with my son, and that'll do for me. It has got nothing to do with a culture of accepting failure. It's unrelated to whether we pine for success or not, or reduce ourselves down to accepting a song as second best to a promotion. It was what it was. A moment of magic. And balls to anyone who says otherwise.

stewthenoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
Ollieargyle9":2lnrl5e7 said:
The Doctor":2lnrl5e7 said:
I was there (at Home Park) and it was a truly special/magical few minutes. Something really inexplicable and indescribable happened.

For me, the key thing was that it was a demonstration of 'acceptance' by the Argyle fans. Those there that night accepted that things were pretty rubbish and accepted that no amount of getting frustrated or angry about things would help. We surrendered en masse to that knowledge and then, by doing so, came together to deliver a kind of aura/energy that I am sure MUST have been absorbed by the players. I am not at all a mystic person. I am a boring, 49 year old, highly sceptical and usually rather critical person so I am not one to make something of nothing here. It was a really very impressive piece of Stoicism and you really HAD to be there. I watched it back on the TV and was really disappointed by the extent to which what it felt like to be there was not captured on the screen.

Whether the song has life beyond that night as an anthem for the club remains to be seen. I suspect it doesn't. In many ways the lights were the most impressive aspect I think.

I think a lot can be said for the fact that it is only those who weren't there that don't really understand the hype of those who went. It is understandable simply because the coverage didn't do the atmosphere that night justice. Even if Sky didn't try their best to dub out the fans the TV still doesn't put across the feeling that swept Home Park that evening. As people have said, in however long they have supported this club they have never experienced anything like it and I doubt any of us will experience anything like it again.

It truly was one of those, "you had to be there", moments. From the depths of despair to the collective warmth and emotion around the whole stadium, how could you not be affected by it? The spontaneity was truly infectious and lifted the whole stadium; supporters and players alike. Even without the 2 goals, this was a very special moment and one that will stick with me for a very long time. Coupled with the light show, perhaps symbolic that, at long last, this proud club HAS turned and, if nothing else, the fans do have that collective belief. Now it is down to the manager and players to bottle that and give us fans even more to be proud of. Just thinking about it now is making me feel emotional (is that someone chopping onions over there?).

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
stewthenoo":23lphtht said:
Ollieargyle9":23lphtht said:
The Doctor":23lphtht said:

It truly was one of those, "you had to be there", moments. From the depths of despair to the collective warmth and emotion around the whole stadium, how could you not be affected by it? The spontaneity was truly infectious and lifted the whole stadium; supporters and players alike. Even without the 2 goals, this was a very special moment and one that will stick with me for a very long time. Coupled with the light show, perhaps symbolic that, at long last, this proud club HAS turned and, if nothing else, the fans do have that collective belief. Now it is down to the manager and players to bottle that and give us fans even more to be proud of. Just thinking about it now is making me feel emotional (is that someone chopping onions over there?).
You big softie!
my eyes are running because I have a cold. honest.
I think it has been the lack of alcohol since last Thursday night. haven't felt like celebrating anything. roll on Saturday evening. the playoff final will be over. the div 2 season will be put to bed. Eurovision will be on and I can crack open a few.

A

andyr1963

Are we sticking with "Sweet Molly Malone" then? :scarf:

:greensmile: