Brent talks to the BBC | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brent talks to the BBC

Feb 22, 2008
As always Graham speaks a lot of sense, although his spotlight is focusing on the Food and Drink offering I am still utterly depressed by the Mayflower "Steps" To think our new firebrand Manager is going to have nobody immediately behind him when he takes the dug out for our first home game!

But back to topic - building a club not just a team strikes a cord with me, but only a two year contract?

Edit: Just seen GR's post re work being done which also mentions the Mayflower, perhaps things are changing.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
I didn't really notice how long it took. I would've been far more worried if we had appointed someone within 5 days.

I like the commitment to building a club. I just hope this interview doesn't come back to bite us on the....

Jul 2, 2014
Biggs":c51ym29q said:
Lundan Cabbie":c51ym29q said:
JimC":c51ym29q said:
Lundan Cabbie":c51ym29q said:
I'm not too sure about the statement of, pay the players more and they will be better.

It means pay more wages, get in better players, not making the existing ones play better.

He didn't say where the extra money is going to come from. :)

It was Simon Kuper who said it, not JB

http://www.abeautifulnumbersgame.com/2010/04/explaining-regression-through-enhanced.html provides a bit of math behind Kruper's words.

Essentially, they plotted league position against play payroll (actually the logarythm of the payroll as a multiple of the average payroll in league - but bottom line - player payroll - not transfer fees, or any other expenses associated with a club)

Bottom line - while some clubs do a little better with their money than other clubs - the higher the payroll the higher the league position.

Lots of clubs, lots of players, lots of competition, and you get what economists call a "efficient market." Which means better players get paid more. You want a player to join your club, you must pay them as much (hopefully not more) than other clubs are prepared to pay them.

Of course, clubs make poor decisions, get lucky with a player who improves rapidly, get bad breaks with injures or off-field problems, but, at the end of the day, when you have 92 clubs with squads of 24-30 players, it all averages out.

When we were in the championship, we paid more in wages, had better players and performed better. But, we got paid more than we could afford (probably a great inside story of why and who during Holloway's tenure) and then, when the money ran out, the *%#! hit the fan and everything fell apart. That is what "unsustainable" means.

Over recent years our player payroll has been hammered because of the need (legal requirement) to pay off the debts accrued before the implosion. A vicious cycle of less payroll, poorer players, relegations and less revenue, and back to less payroll.

While we are still paying off debts, we are better off than three seasons ago and our player payroll has (I assume) been rising. Less debts, more payroll, better players, better results, promotion fights not relation fights, and promotion will follow (this season dear god.)

Provided Brent balances ambition growth in player payroll with revenue, we move forward sustainably. Not as fast as we would like, but steadily. Of course, if he were a billionaire, he could throw money at the club, debt disappears, payroll gets subsidized and rises much faster, better players come in, we have better results, more fans, more revenue, better players, and we move up the league faster.

Adams now has a payroll budget for the season. Subtract the salaries of players already under contract and the biggest decisions of the year are now being made before the first game, before pre-season training, before the first signing. His decision of how many players will he put on payroll will lead to a range of possible salaries for Lewi's replacement, for a Hourihane-level midfielder, and others. Certain players we cannot afford, certain players will eat up budget and warm the bench "just in case" Everything that happens this season will flow from the decisions he makes over the coming weeks. Get fewer players at higher wages and keep them fit and all will be well (example - Ainsworth who either did a terrific job at Wycombe last season or got lucky with injuries). Over-commit the budget and he will have less less flexibility through loans.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Nothing mentioned about a new Far Post Club,either. Meanwhile Weatherspoons make a fortune in the Britannia pub every matchday.

N

newquaygreen

You have all missed the important poitnt

Which tie looks best?
Maybe one is the 'away' tie?
Need a poll I think :whistle:

N

newquaygreen

IRN Bru on the table :funny:

They will be serving that in the stands now I guess

Jan 26, 2009
Tamerton Foliot
How much would it cost to get the Far Post Club up & running again.? £1000? £2000? Yes, I know it's a dump, but could it be made to last for 2/3/4 years until 'something crops up' regarding a new grandstand?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
mercedes":smhpeau3 said:
How much would it cost to get the Far Post Club up & running again.? £1000? £2000? Yes, I know it's a dump, but could it be made to last for 2/3/4 years until 'something crops up' regarding a new grandstand?

How much?

I reckon £50,000.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
IJN":25pu4ddv said:
mercedes":25pu4ddv said:

How much?

I reckon £50,000.

IJN that may be but if you had 1000 members paying £10 per year membership or 500 paying £20 a year you would recoup £10k right away. Put in a couple of gaming machines,a decent bar,some decent bar food and maybe sky tv and it would pay for itself in no time.Much better than leaving it empty.Last time there was even a waiting list for membership such was the demand.Its things like this that the club should be seriously looking at....I would also look at putting some temporary seating in the mayflower,no need to spend a fortune,some second hand golf seating perhaps, just to get some fans over that side of the ground.James Brent seems good at talking but not so good at doing.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
My point was to Mercedes who claimed it would cost £1k to £2k to fix up.

As for talking and doing, isn't the club now breaking even from a point of losing £1.8m a year.

I agree with Graham Clark though, it would be good to see something back that replaces the Far Post, but for both sets of fans.

Jan 3, 2013
oddball":19yp5s7e said:
IJN":19yp5s7e said:
mercedes":19yp5s7e said:

How much?

I reckon £50,000.

IJN that may be but if you had 1000 members paying £10 per year membership or 500 paying £20 a year you would recoup £10k right away. Put in a couple of gaming machines,a decent bar,some decent bar food and maybe sky tv and it would pay for itself in no time.Much better than leaving it empty.Last time there was even a waiting list for membership such was the demand.Its things like this that the club should be seriously looking at....I would also look at putting some temporary seating in the mayflower,no need to spend a fortune,some second hand golf seating perhaps, just to get some fans over that side of the ground.James Brent seems good at talking but not so good at doing.
even if you could get a thousand members .....which I doubt.....how would you git them in? Just not financially viable

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Knarf Reprah":1tlab59e said:
oddball":1tlab59e said:
IJN":1tlab59e said:
mercedes":1tlab59e said:

How much?

I reckon £50,000.

even if you could get a thousand members .....which I doubt.....how would you git them in? Just not financially viable

Disagree... it is most definitely financially viable.....when the FPC was up and running there was a waiting list to join...whether that was a membership of 1000 or 500...people were queuing up to join,and pay their annual membership fee. I've been to clubs bars at Newcastle with Shearer's bar down to Boots and Saddles at Torquay and all in between. All of these ventures bring in a massive amount of revenue on a matchday,and it appears Argyle are missing out somewhat,both pre match and postmatch and during the week.