Brent talks to the BBC | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brent talks to the BBC

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Greenford":lyhaqky1 said:
With the talk about the apparent low budget and the failed grandstand attempts and his own failed business plans just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the chairman.
Just interested I havent been a poster for long but have been reading this site for years and it seems that James Brent divides opinion and seems to be a lot that dont want him here maybe just me. Just want to know is there any on here that wants James Brent out of the club as chairman and there reasons why they want him out of the club? Im not a James Brent hater at all just been intrigued to know the reasons why some dont like what he is doing?

Opinions of JB are less divided than you'd like obviously.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
GreenArmy1984":35kbokon said:
Our Football Club is in Great Hands

Looking forward to the new season & Start of a exciting era under Derek Adams

Love August & the start of the new football season

Green Army :scarf:

I don't know about great, but certainly safe hands. Brent ain't no mug, he's a smart man and he's running the club sensibly it seems (question marks over this season's budget linger as the discussion was shot down rather than discussed). Great hands may have achieved a promotion by now, or at least have had conviction with a promised (even if totally unambitious and dishearteningly reductive) grandstand development. The reality is that if his time at Argyle was to end soon, there'd be a grateful handshake but its a part in our history that'll be easily forgotten (perhaps for the best)... But its not over yet and optimism for this season is high. Hopefully we can all experience a title winning season.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It wasn't shot down, more like the manager had been misquoted and when proved it had been on Charlie's 'moments' it sort of 'went away'.

I'm very worried about Green Sam and his mushrooms though.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Amazing how easily Pasoti fact sets in, the "small budget" trouble making was disproven upon publication of the DA Q&A. On the zero evidence to hand we may as well be discussing the merits of signing either Messi or Ronaldo on Brent's monster budget.

Actually I may pop up to Plymouth on Monday, ask DA who he thinks is the best player in the world then "accidentally" mishear it and post the winning name on here as our prime loan target and if none of you discuss it in great detail and seriousness I shall be complaining of shooting downs I tell thee.

Anyway, when are the season tickets being released? It's gonna be a long summer and all that :thumbs:

Jul 29, 2010
Ade the green":36yozjji said:
Greenford":36yozjji said:
With the talk about the apparent low budget and the failed grandstand attempts and his own failed business plans just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the chairman.
Just interested I havent been a poster for long but have been reading this site for years and it seems that James Brent divides opinion and seems to be a lot that dont want him here maybe just me. Just want to know is there any on here that wants James Brent out of the club as chairman and there reasons why they want him out of the club? Im not a James Brent hater at all just been intrigued to know the reasons why some dont like what he is doing?

On here maybe. There is a wide divide of opinion on the subject, flip side views can be found elsewhere however.

I'm sort of with Spo's assessment albeit slightly more on the favourable side. JB's tenure was and remains essential to the very existence of Argyle, time will not change my gratitude for him stepping in, and avoiding oblivion or the clusterf**k that would've existed if AFC Heaney/Ridsdale had gone through. The short term memory of others is for others to justify, not me.

Also you say 'unambitious' about the grandstand, I say sufficient for the apathetic fan base.

Other than that the summary is the same, his tenure is necessary. Unspectacular but wholly necessary.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Brackets used as it was a side point, and all I said was question marks linger because I feel it raised an interesting discussion that fizzled rather than reaching conclusion. The squad and coaching staff is smaller, yet the calibre of player signed appears similar. Graham Clark also suggest the budget could be akin to Hartlepool (as an example), but I found his reasoning of that problematic and concerning if correct.

X'y we'll always disagree on what's sufficient I fear. What it boils down to to me is had Stapleton and co proposed anything similar to Brent's HHP plans in the summer of 2004 would fans have embraced the plan as ambitious or would it have sparked a riot of negativity? I don't think it would have been accept then and, without any viable possibility of expansion, I don't believe it should be accept now.

Jul 29, 2010
You're right, it's a topic that has been done to death and positions won't budge. No-one would turn away a 40k+ stadium in a utopian scenario, trouble is Argyle are in Plymouth, not Utiopa.

Anyways it was just a minor qualification in pretty much agreeing with you, no sense picking the scab. JB has been necessary, you imply a necessary evil, I'm inclined to err on him being a necessary good.

We are where we are and we've got what we've got. Until such time as anything better materialises, it's all petty much a moot point.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'd disagree about no one turning away an 40K stadium Smiffy.

Quite a few of us did just that when Toddy's lot were pushing that ridiculous idea a few years ago.

Jul 29, 2010
It didn't happen because they were pie in the sky fantasists to think FIFA would give England a world cup, not because any fans 'turned it down'.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I thought when you said "No-one would turn away a 40k+ stadium in a utopian scenario" you were talking literally.

Many of us thought it daft. I still do.

23,000 would suit us nicely, although it would look a bit sad at this time in our history.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I'm not sure why you're talking about 40,000 seater stadiums, no one has logically suggest anything like that because its an unreasonable and unrealistic expectation (for Brent's plans, not the previous regime). A fair and reasonable expectation in my opinion, and I don't believe I'm alone in this, is that any new build should be the same size (including a seated Mayflower, not conveniently exploiting our recent ills to manipulate a minimum size requirement based on one remaining part of the stand). I'm not even asking for 23,000 like Ian, but I believe that scale of development and ambition could galvanize the club to repeat the fortunes of Swansea and Hull.

I don't think I've implied anything about Brent being evil, just that he's not a "Great" pair of hands - he's just shy of earning that accolade for me yet, a promotion or finished (adequate - separate debate, moot point, like you say) project would suffice also. You're right though, he was necessary and that's why I said I'll always been grateful. Heeney similarly was necessary though, necessary worse mind as I agree with you about him.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
X Isle":1eoaymj6 said:
Ade the green":1eoaymj6 said:
Greenford":1eoaymj6 said:

On here maybe. There is a wide divide of opinion on the subject, flip side views can be found elsewhere however.

I'm sort of with Spo's assessment albeit slightly more on the favourable side. JB's tenure was and remains essential to the very existence of Argyle, time will not change my gratitude for him stepping in, and avoiding oblivion or the clusterf**k that would've existed if AFC Heaney/Ridsdale had gone through. The short term memory of others is for others to justify, not me.

Also you say 'unambitious' about the grandstand, I say sufficient for the apathetic fan base.

Other than that the summary is the same, his tenure is necessary. Unspectacular but wholly necessary.

Probably correct X but as I have no idea about any other sites views on JB I'll abstain from voicing that the poster I quoted might be better off elsewhere. :whistle:

C

chronicgreen

Ade the green":wydj9sin said:
X Isle":wydj9sin said:
Ade the green":wydj9sin said:
Greenford":wydj9sin said:

Probably correct X but as I have no idea about any other sites views on JB I'll abstain from voicing that the poster I quoted might be better off elsewhere. :whistle:

100%, How dare you question James.