Brief Synopsis!!! (Gillingham) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Gillingham)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PAFC Norfolk":2ju8602i said:
Biggs":2ju8602i said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":2ju8602i said:
A very poor game of football, played by two very poor teams.

Don't get me wrong, it was a fantastic result, but there was very little quality on show.

Appreciate that, but relegation dogfights and relegation six pointers like today, are rarely pretty.

We need to slog ourselves out of this mess first, and build more progressively from there.

So are you happy to be where we are?

A bit more positive play, bin the single man up front, and stop being happy at one goal up and go for the throat of teams.

In all the years Argyle have never truly mastered the single one up front.

I can’t for the life of me see how your reply relates to what I said...

I think the ‘this mess’ bit answers your question, but we are ‘slogging ourselves out of it’.

Feb 2, 2007
clokey84":ni8potfk said:
nick_PASTIE":ni8potfk said:
Great summary there Mark, thank you.

Spot on about Toums saving his skin but we need to go into Jan out of bottom four and then have the best transfer window trading ever to stay in this division.
So if we'd drawn he would have been given the boot you think?

Ney laddy, my view of causality isn't quite THAT direct. However, we have a tough run of 3 away games in 4 in December and if we are rooted to bottom going into January and cut adrift, he would have been sliding to the exit quicker. This vital 3 points has kept us "in the mix" and not many games on paper look easier,so 3 points was always going to be vital, anything less a total disappointment.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
enjoyable match with evenly matched teams and what a relief to have ryan back.he played the target man role perfectly.from where i sit,the spion kop,the "goal" looked to be over the line but the linesman never give it so still 0-0.a good opening goal with a deserved equaliser from their number 9 and a brilliantly taken winner by diagouraga who played his best match for us today in my opinion.my man of the match was david fox.my ratings;

Kelle Roos - 6
Gary Sawyer - 7
Ryan Edwards - 5
Sonny Bradley - 5
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 5
Tounami Diagouraga - 7
David Fox - 10
Graham Carey - 6
Joel Grant - 5
Jake Jervis - 4
Ryan Taylor - 9

BHS

Oct 6, 2008
Liverpool (Skelmersdale)
Got the points we so desperately need, I echo what other posters have said Adams needs to stop trying to park the bus in the final 15 minutes, defending far too deeply, he needs to learn this lesson. Wotton needs to have a word in his ear.
If we can stay undefeated in next 2 games (winning one of those), I think we will be clear of the bottom four at the end of the year, then hopeful kick on with new recruits, I think DA will get those right, we are learning that in terms of recruitment and tactics second time around DA gets it right.
The bbc state the attendenance as over 11k, decent gate that, was their a reason for it?

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Typical fare for a relegation dogfight and for those complaining, expect these tactics for the rest of the season - they will keep us up.

First-half was a bit of a non-event really. Two well matched and reasonably well organised teams with neither really committing to attack. We played some neat football in safe areas and what chances we did create were weak affairs. I felt Grant had the defence open up for him on a couple of occasions but was reluctant to shoot outside the 18 yard area. Being close to inline with the touchline at the Devonport End, I was surrounded by people who believed Gillingham had a legitimate goal from Roos' fumbled save. Not sure myself - was it all the ball?

Second-half was much more enjoyable and typically tense towards the end. Grant's opener was created by the battling Taylor who made such a difference as the fulcrum of any attacks. There goal was a splendid shot but I felt Eaves had nudged Edwards out of the way with a dig in the back just prior to it - whatever we were asleep for that moment. Toums' winner came from the best thing Carey did all game - having been disappointing he drew a number of defenders and sought out Toums' run and it was a fine finish.

Tense once again at the end with a decent save from Roos. He does seem a decent goalkeeper but also found the ball a bit slippery today.

MoM - Taylor who made a big difference.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The biggest win of the season!

After looking like we had thrown away two points and hanging on to salvage just the one point Diagouraga pounced in the 90th minute to grab a dramatic win in front of a 11,000 plus crowd.

The game hinged on a decision from the Lyndhurst linesman in the first half when from my position the ball looked to be over the line and Gillingham taking a 1-0 lead but the linesman waved play on and we escaped.

All three goals came in the second half, Grant steadied himself after riding some tackles and slotted a low shot past the Gillingham keeper to give us the lead. Grant was later substituted and the momentum went to Gillingham who were camped in our half.
With time running out Jake Jervis gave away a needless free-kick in the Gillingham half, they took a quick and long free-kick that caught us out at the back and Eaves beat our new 6-foot 5-inch tall keeper with a high shot.
Credit to the players for firstly not caving in and then to go on and score a late winner when Diagouraga held off a challenge to send a second low shot past the Gills keeper to give us back to back home wins.

Yann Songo'o was surprisingly dropped to the bench for this game and in came Ryan Taylor with Graham Carey moving to central midfield and Jervis switching to the right.
Our keeper for this game was Kelle Roos from Derby, our fourth different keeper in as many games.

Gillingham started the better team and forced some early corners but once we weathered that early pressure we took the game to Gills with Taylor showing us how much we missed him. He held up the ball and laid it off and also won the headers, Jervis has done well as a lone striker especially when running the channels but the team plays so much better with a striker who holds up the ball.

We created some good opportunities without turning them into clear cut chances and too often the free-kicks and corners from Carey, Fox and Jervis were over hit, however at least we were attacking the opposition in a home game instead of sitting back and letting them dictate play.

The shots on goal we had from Jervis and Grant lacked any power and were easily saved.

The Gills goal that never was came after Roos fumbled a shot, the ball looked to have trickled over the line before he grabbed it back, everyone in the stadium looked at the linesman who signalled it didn't cross the line and 98% of Home Park heaved a sigh of relief.

We started the second half on the front foot and Taylor again showed how crucial he is to the team by winning a header to set up Grant who finished well. 1-0 up and the stats show that we never lose after scoring first this season in the league.

Whether it's tactics or the mindset of the players or the opposition raise their game but again we sat deep and defended the lead and played on the counter attack, it doesn't make for easy viewing with Gillingham crosses and shots popping up more regularly than road works in Plymouth!
Despite his height Roos is another keeper who suffers from "crossitus", so it was left to Edwards and Bradley to head away the Gillingham bombs.

Grant was replaced by Songo'o and Carey moved to the left, the move was obviously meant to shore up our midfield but instead Gillingham increased the pressure on our defence.
Sure enough Gillingham scored their equaliser after Jervis gave away a silly free kick, the quick set piece caught us out and Eaves scored from 20 yards out.
From 1-0 and a free-kick deep into the Gillingham half we were suddenly at 1-1.

Gillingham now went for the throat and threw everything at us, they looked certain to score a late winner.
But the players in Green are a different set of players since that post match inquest following the Fleetwood defeat and pushed forward for one last big effort.
The ball fell to Diagouraga from Carey, he knocked the ball past a Gills defender, held off a challenge and fired low past the keeper to give us a 90th minute lead. Home Park erupted, even the loud music couldn't drown out the noise made by the fans.

Gillingham were not finished, they forced several late corners and from one of these Roos made a great save to tip the ball over the ball.
With the ref somehow finding another minute or two the Gillingham keeper went forward for what must be the final corner of the game, we survived and got the vital three points, a huge boost of confidence and just 2 defeats from the last 9 league games.

This was a huge win against a very good Gillingham team, they are one of the form teams of League One and so are we, despite both teams placed at the wrong end of the table.
The best player on the park was a player called Parks, number 14, he ran the show for Gillingham.

Diagouraga was a monster in midfield, strength, great control and a winning goal.
Taylor showed that if we have any chance of staying up he has to stay fit, he made a big difference to the team today.
The pace of Jervis on the right caused problem for the Gills defence, Grant had a good game and scored but you just wish he move give us more end product after seeing a lot of the ball.

Roos did ok, he made a mistake for the ghost Gillingham goal but recovered and made a crucial late save, will he stay with us or be another Mannion?
Carey did a job for the team without shining but it is now winter so we'll have to wait until March to see Carey dominate a game again.

The negative is that we sat back and defended after scoring and played on the counter attack, that tactic worked great in League Two but the higher standard of teams and players in League One make it very difficult to defend a narrow 1-0 lead and today proved that again, this time we got out of jail with a late winner.

Huge credit to the players for digging out the win, the pre-Fleetwood Argyle team would have lost this game.

Man of the match: Diagouraga.

Roos 6, Sawyer 6, Edwards 7, Bradley 7, Taylor-Sinclair 6, Fox 7, Diagouraga 8, Carey 6, Grant 7, Jervis 6, Taylor 7. Sub - Songo'o 6.

Aug 11, 2013
Two poor teams on an off day. We edged it. Adams did his best to turn a positive into a negative by his substitution and tacticswhen we were looking ok. Still can’t decide about Edwards. Dave saved us with a bizarre slow motion goal and we may have got a decision where ball could have been over line ...wait for MM’s. Despite the result I feel a little less confident tonight. That was near in our strongest team and boy did we huff and puff.

Jan 30, 2016
Glad to see Taylor up front -played a very good first half.
Glad to see all those young kids filling the Barn Park end.
Glad we won if not by default - that ball was definitely over the line. All around me more or less in line thought so.
So frustrated by Adam's tactics -after we scored sat back and defended yet again -did we not learn from the Scunthorpe and Shrewsbury games???
Thought Fox and Toumani were out best players - Carey gave the ball away took much.

Oct 14, 2015
Over the line or not doesn't change the result..I thought it was over but it wasn't given so pretty irrelevant really. I'm sure Gillingham management will say it was but impossible to call from their dugout. Let's enjoy the win this weekend ..

Mar 14, 2009
I don't think it was a poor game today.

Gillingham are a marked improvement on Northampton. Thought that both sides looked better going forward than at the back but the final cross or shot by both teams was lacking.

Believed it to be an even game and although Argyle defended a little too deep at times until the last 10 mins of the first half l thought they did ok. Toums was excellent. Very hard to get the ball off him and some loverly touches.

Started off the 2nd half like we did the 1st in that we were slow outbthe blocks. However grew back into the game and we got the goal.

Then this is where it all changed. Gillingham went postive in terms of formation and personnel. Argyle, just like Shrewsbury and Rochdale sat on their lead. At first it was fine. The counter attacks were a possibility. Yet mins took by and we became more and more defensive. To the point we couldn't get out of our half. The goal was coming. So what did Adams do. He made a defensive substitution which brought Songo on for Grant. At this point Gillingham brought on another attacking playe. He went to the left wing and they switched their no14 from the left to the middle to play along the their big no9.

The Argyle substitution was frustrating on many levels. For a start it didnt help Argyle stop the Gillingham pressure. Songo was beaten for pace a few times and unfortunately couldn't help break up Gillingham attacks. They scored. A classy finish.

Adams didn't respond. There was at this point only one team likely to win. Fortunately for Argyle instead Gillingham shutting up shop after the scored they continued to attack. A break by Argyle. A scramble in the box. Composure and class by Toums.

Gillingham ramped up the pressure. We held on.

Important 3 points but lessons aren't being learnt. We are just not good enough to hold onto a one goal lead. Yet Adams continues to have a defensive mindset when we take the lead. Today in spite of HIS tactics we won. Yet we were fortunate we played a team who wanted to win and show intent even after equalising. We could of thrown away another solid platform to build on within the game because Adams won't allow this side to hunt down another goal to kill teams off. Shame really but he will never change.

At least today's result gives us hope we can scrape out of this relegation battle but make no mistake it will be a tough, nerve jangling fight because of the way Adams continues to mange this teams tactics.

Feb 2, 2007
Excellent crowd today all things considered and with Christmas so imminent and other distractions.

Well done Green Army!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
11th in form table over last 10 games, 7th in form table over last 6 games. Now only in the drop zone on goal difference. With a transfer window coming up.

We’re getting better and it would now be a surprise if we did go down, surely.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Roos- 7
Sawyer - 4
Edwards - 6
Bradley- 7
ATS-. 5
Diagourga- 7
Fox - 7
Carey - 6
Jervis - 4
Grant - 7
Taylor - 7

Sub: Songo'o - 4

Manager - 3

We weren't great but got the win. Adams once again drilling his mentality into the players of sitting back and allowing the other team to control the game once we took the lead. So frustrating. Got out of jail because of some poor late Gillingham defending who on another day would of easily taken at least a point. Game management has to improve after we take the lead still I'm afraid and that starts with the manager. MOTM between Fox, Taylor and Bradley for me.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Late goal papers over the cracks. Two very poor teams and if we play like this week in week out I see nothing but L2 football next season. Sorry.