Brief Synopsis!!! (Gillingham) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Gillingham)

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Important 3 points but lessons aren't being learnt. We are just not good enough to hold onto a one goal lead. Yet Adams continues to have a defensive mindset when we take the lead. Today in spite of HIS tactics we won. Yet we were fortunate we played a team who wanted to win and show intent even after equalising. We could have thrown away another solid platform to build on within the game because Adams won't allow this side to hunt down another goal to kill teams off. Shame really but he will never change.

At least today's result gives us hope we can scrape out of this relegation battle but make no mistake it will be a tough, nerve jangling fight because of the way Adams continues to mange this teams tactics.

Agree with this. I think he should stay though because there's nobody better that can come in, and we are starting to improve anyway, but he NEEDS to change his tactics or we are going to go down, and then he probably will be sacked.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
My goodness a lot of love ins and hatred in this thread. People seem to be seeing only their views. So I’ll have a go and do the same.

For me....

We played more positively from the third minute onwards up to our goal, we tried to attack frequently and won through massive a desire (Gills desire was also very apparent; so a big one to win). Three massive pluses.

We sat back after scoring, made a negative substitution that backfired and certain players looked lost today for periods. Three concerns.

To me Derek seems to have woken up to some of his failings (e.g. acknowledged some of signings are not fit for purpose and need to be moved on ASAP) but still prone to others (e.g. sit back at 1-0 and invite pressure we can’t handle.)

If Derek can sign some decent players this time and stop some of his pointless negativity I think we can survive safely. More terrible signings, bad injuries or Derek stubbornness still will mean relegation fear.

Having Taylor back is a massive bonus. Chirpy, but no scarf waving and speaking in capitals either.

Aug 5, 2016
Ade the green":ts57xut9 said:
Knibbsworth":ts57xut9 said:
Biggs":ts57xut9 said:
11th in form table over last 10 games, 7th in form table over last 6 games. Now only in the drop zone on goal difference. With a transfer window coming up.

We’re getting better and it would now be a surprise if we did go down, surely.

Some people don't see it that way, and if you refer to form, facts, or logic, you get accused by Balham Green of being a nerd who analyses data.

10 games is half of the season so far, so if we are 11th over that period it shows our trajectory is headed for midtable, only counter balanced by a horrific first ten games.

In Derek Adams we trust.

Okay, let’s refer to form then, 11th over last ten and 7th over last six. Whilst I don’t know the previous listing for the last ten a couple of weeks ago you guys were shouting about being 5th over the last 6 games. So 7th is better or worse than before?

Now our form just needs to stay better than any four out of Gillingham, Northampton, Bury, Rochdale or Wimbledon.

Their form is 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd and 24th, meanwhile you're moaning about a manager who is picking up as many points as the top half sides. Not one or two 'lucky' results but over ten matches.

Apr 29, 2016
Mark Pedlar":2fbd62ai said:
Real anti-Adams feeling in the crowd before the winner today. If Diagouraga hadn't scored the chants st the end would have been VERY different.
. That would have been, very grown up, would have made the players so much more confident for the next game and I am sure made James Brent feel very different.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Voice_of_Reason":nvdmyitd said:
As if to highlight the bizarre nature of supporters saying we should have been 2 or 3 up at half time yet Gillingham were the better team?

Jeez it's to frustrating to read some of the sheer turd that gets written on here. There is a clear formula in place. It's not pretty it not entertaining but the last dozen games are probably proof that it's effective.

Why is it bizarre to say that they they were the better side but in the first half we were better? That makes sense to me?

Overall it was pretty even and I thought they just edged it and were the better side. I said we SHOULD have been two or three nil up but we weren't meaning again that they did better overall.

Sep 18, 2004
West in East Anglia
philmeboots":2yidcl0f said:
PAFC Norfolk":2yidcl0f said:
Didn.t go to game.

A negative sub resulting in an oppostion goal.

Rescued by midfielder, Adams be more positive for everybodys sake.

What a stupid comment from someone who admits he wasn’t at the game!

Just thank your lucky stars you can watch the game live.

Just because you are at the game when playing at home, lucky you.

BBC text line read as going one nil up. A substitution of a defensive midfielder for a striker, while we seemed to be pushing for a solid win. shortly thereafter concedes a goal, and have to rely on a late winner. Is that a wrong interpretation of the events? It happens more than you can bear to think of.

This is my thoughts of the events. It happens and will happen again, and again until we become more confident instead of panicking on losing what we have gained.

Oct 31, 2015
Enjoyed the game until we went 1 up then the turgid backs to the wall rubbish came out. All around me said they would score and when they did I was fuming because we could all see it coming.
The good thing for us was the Gills went for the win and Carey found a bit of space.

Lady luck shone a little today because I thought the ball crossed the line by a long way for them but Roos placed himself well.

Very even game which either team could have won

Roos- Good debut but dropped a clanger for their goal that wasnt. Was the busier keeper by far and made some really good saves. Endered himself to the Demport as well.
ATS- I thought he struggled today defensively snd gave the ball away too much.
Bradley- had his hands full today but coped well. A couple of powerful runs forward as well ala Curtis Nelson.
Edwards- thought he struggled and was at fault for thei goal slrhough I felt he was pushed
Sawyer- They got behind too much today whixh is unusual but he did get forward quite a bit
Carey- This guy is an enigma for me. So skillful at times eith a sweet foot but boy he was awful today but still made the winner. His set pieces today were carp
Fox - class act today. Not sure he could fulfil that role against better teams. I do enjoy watching him play
Toums- yep his best game in a green shirt today. Topped off with the winner
Jervis- A couple of chances to score and a few runs but I think he struggled at times.
Taylor- glad to have the big guy back. He needs match fitness but didnt shirk at all. Their defence know they were in a game
Grant- deserved his goal which I thought was cooly taken. He could have had a couple today.

DA first hslf spot on. After we scored WTF!!!!!!!I want him gone and there were a few chants today showing the crowd are getting restless

"Boring boring Adams"

After all that it was still very pedestrian. We dont play counter attacking because we are too slow.

I will take the 3 points but not the second half performance after we went 1 up

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
1) there is absolutely no point whatsoever in analysing a game from BBC text. Games aren’t played on paper (or BBC text). Challenging someone on the sequence of events is equally pointless.

2) ‘it happens and will happen again’... well yes, but barely ever. When we score first we nearly always win.

Mervyn’s post above rings true with me. EVERY winning team today will have fans complaining about something or other.

It’s a cliche but the truth is that there are no easy games in the Football League and very few regulation wins where everything goes right. Pretty much every game is an absolute battle, especially so in a relegation fight like today.

Sep 18, 2004
West in East Anglia
Biggs":1hah74l0 said:
1) there is absolutely no point whatsoever in analysing a game from BBC text. Games aren’t played on paper (or BBC text). Challenging someone on the sequence of events is equally pointless.

2) ‘it happens and will happen again’... well yes, but barely ever. When we score first we nearly always win.

Mervyn’s post above rings true with me. EVERY winning team today will have fans complaining about something or other.

It’s a cliche but the truth is that there are no easy games in the Football League and very few regulation wins where everything goes right. Pretty much every game is an absolute battle, especially so in a relegation fight like today.

So Biggs you are happy in a relegation battle to keep yourself interested.

Just because I cannot get to a home game without travelling for six hours there and six hours back home hoping I make the last train from London to make it home after midnight that I do not care. F**k you. I do care, I care deeply, Argyle's form does affect me and probably more than you think. The text streams do not lie, and is what we go by.

You still seem to deny the events as reported today happened at all.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
beregreen":2wm9yb6f said:
Ade the green":2wm9yb6f said:
Well done to all today. When we were pulled back I seriously expected a Gillingham win and the 3 points will be invaluable going forward.

Another 2 or 3 wins to get us above the relegation zone and I may start believing.

Hallelujah !

To be fair , two very evenly matched teams today .
Taylor made a huge difference to us . Confidence can only grow now .

You understand AP that this is a forum and you can respond to other’s posts. If you only want to converse with me, you have my number.

Apr 9, 2011
BHS":3jz4eopx said:
Got the points we so desperately need, I echo what other posters have said Adams needs to stop trying to park the bus in the final 15 minutes, defending far too deeply, he needs to learn this lesson. Wotton needs to have a word in his ear.
If we can stay undefeated in next 2 games (winning one of those), I think we will be clear of the bottom four at the end of the year, then hopeful kick on with new recruits, I think DA will get those right, we are learning that in terms of recruitment and tactics second time around DA gets it right.
The bbc state the attendenance as over 11k, decent gate that, was their a reason for it?
Yes a lot of kids in from local leagues I believe

Tynan One Nil

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
A tight game, that could have gone either way, particularly if a goal had been given, when the ball looked over the line from the incident in the first half. ( viewed from the Devonport End.)
After going one up we immediately dropped deep to keep what we had, inviting pressure and conceding possession, it is a deliberate tactic, as frustrating as it is. With flair players such as Fox,Carey, Grant etc being asked to carry out these tactics at home,just seems not the best use of their talents.
And then the winning goal from Toums, cue unbridled joy from all around us - makes it all worthwhile!

Oct 20, 2015
jespafc":1ibp8bgz said:
Late goal papers over the cracks. Two very poor teams and if we play like this week in week out I see nothing but L2 football next season. Sorry.

This. Never mind 'form table'. Two poor sides battled it out today and Argyle's win was down to luck and certainly not Adams' judgement. That horrible sinking feeling when he makes a defensive substitution when we're one up.

We're playing in League 2 next season, nailed on. If you don't agree, name three L1 sides worse than us. I genuinely think we'd struggle to be mid table in L2 with our squad (and manager).

Apr 9, 2011
Lets just hope somehow we can survive this season & Adams learns lessons as I think he has been caught out this season, this league is much tuffer than he thought

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
phil-thefluter24":2pfhndwf said:
Lets just hope somehow we can survive this season & Adams learns lessons as I think he has been caught out this season, this league is much tuffer than he thought

Yeah, and we’ve had to sougher for it!