Brief Synopsis!!! (Grimsby) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Grimsby)

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Bristol Rich":1g106m03 said:
Forest of Dean Green":1g106m03 said:
Bristol Rich":1g106m03 said:
Total anti climax. Some Argyle fans are too easily satisfied.

Lucky we had a climax before against Newport then isn't it. The ability of some to see the cherry on top of a bakewell as a turd is remarkable. And boring. And sad.

I could bite here but I won't. I was at the game today and I'm telling you it was a total anti climax with too many supporters thinking it was a party when there was a job to be done. We didn't turn up and it was pretty unprofessional, but if you're happy with us blowing a rare chance to actually win a league, that's up to you.

If you want to blindly cheer and not think you might be better at Seaworld:)

Bitten!

May 1, 2011
Ade the green":1laq40n4 said:
Bristol Rich":1laq40n4 said:
Forest of Dean Green":1laq40n4 said:
Bristol Rich":1laq40n4 said:

Lucky we had a climax before against Newport then isn't it. The ability of some to see the cherry on top of a bakewell as a turd is remarkable. And boring. And sad.

I could bite here but I won't. I was at the game today and I'm telling you it was a total anti climax with too many supporters thinking it was a party when there was a job to be done. We didn't turn up and it was pretty unprofessional, but if you're happy with us blowing a rare chance to actually win a league, that's up to you.

Bitten!

Possibly so!

Aug 11, 2013
Extremely proud of my team tonight. We threw the kitchen sink at them second half. Keeper made a couple of good saves and it was one of those games where the ball just didn't drop for us. I also felt we overplayed it in the final third a few times but only because we wanted to create a really good opening rather than a risky half chance of a shot. Grimsby were really up for this game and clearly they weren't going to let us celebrate on their patch without a fight.

Desperately poor start made it difficult .. but Argyle never make it easy. Anyone who is bitter and disappointed to night needs to reassess whether Argyles for them. No player left anything on the pitch and Bradley was beside himself following his last minute effort didn't go in.

Their fans lack a bit of class. Keeping the ball in injury time and some middle aged jerks near us warned several times for provoking our lot. But failing. Mind you I'd have a inferiority complex living in a dump like Grimsby. Depressing place where only the plywood window boarders are making a living ...

Feb 23, 2008
kingsy
some people ....out played Grimsby totally especially 2nd half ...1st half didn't look to threatening despite all the possession ....even more dominant 2nd half but there keeper made 3 class saves ...as previously said nothing really feel for us in the box but it wasn't to be ....glad I made the 7 hour trip and proud to support a fantastic football club .....the scenes at the end will live in the memory for a long time

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It was one poor first half too many and this time, when it mattered, we just couldn't recover.

Poor first halves has been our Achilles heel recently and this time it cost us the title.

But there were great scenes at the end when the players came out to celebrate promotion with the fans, you could see the players were down and were reluctant to celebrate but the chanting of the fans lifted them and the champagne was finally flowing.

The atmosphere before the game was incredible, there was non-stop noise but everything fell apart when we conceded a first minute corner, we didn't defend it well and Grimsby scored soft goal.

From that point we panicked and rushed everything and this led to mistakes. Slew and Kennedy (after a good start) were virtual passengers. I'm a big fan of Slew but today in a big game he was poor.

It looked like nerves had overcome the players, it was definitely tense watching the game.

Grimsby were robust with tackles and elbows flying in.

Carey tried to lift the team with his play but he also had arguments with Slew and Kennedy, the Cardiff winger seemed to retreat into his shell after one disagreement with Carey, it didn't look good.

Blissett replaced Slew for the second half and we were much the better team, in fact we were camped in the Grimsby half and the hosts didn't trouble McCormick at all during the second half.

A Carey free kick was tipped over, Spencer then replaced Kennedy and his first touch was to score the equaliser when he finished well.

We bombarded the Grimsby penalty area but nothing would drop, Grimsby were more concerned trying to injure an Argyle player than attacking.

We had one last chance when Taylor (I think) had a shot that was saved.

And that was it.
The players well to their knees, they gave everything during the second half and had to settle for second place but only on goal difference.

Fox was brilliant, we lost some momentum when he was subbed, although he looked tired and had just picked up a yellow card.

At the end the fans chanted for Carey to stay, he gave away his spare shirt to a young fan in the crowd, he was the first to do this before other players gave away match shirts and boots.

It was a miserable end to a glorious season, the bigger picture is what counts.

Man of the match Fox.

McCormick 6, Miller 6, Songo'o 6, Bradley 6, Sawyer 6, Fox 8, Sarcevic 7, Carey 8, Kennedy 3, Slew 3, Taylor 6. Subs Blissett 6, Spencer 6, Smith n\a.

Jul 14, 2008
Bristol Rich":3rw8yjo3 said:
Forest of Dean Green":3rw8yjo3 said:
Bristol Rich":3rw8yjo3 said:

We are up that's all that matters. The title would have been nice but I think you need to lighten up. Job done this season and onto the next.

Apr 13, 2016
arrythewurzel":1c54naso said:
Extremely proud of my team tonight. We threw the kitchen sink at them second half. Keeper made a couple of good saves and it was one of those games where the ball just didn't drop for us. I also felt we overplayed it in the final third a few times but only because we wanted to create a really good opening rather than a risky half chance of a shot. Grimsby were really up for this game and clearly they weren't going to let us celebrate on their patch without a fight.

Desperately poor start made it difficult .. but Argyle never make it easy. Anyone who is bitter and disappointed to night needs to reassess whether Argyles for them. No player left anything on the pitch and Bradley was beside himself following his last minute effort didn't go in.

Their fans lack a bit of class. Keeping the ball in injury time and some middle aged jerks near us warned several times for provoking our lot. But failing. Mind you I'd have a inferiority complex living in a dump like Grimsby. Depressing place where only the plywood window boarders are making a living ...

Hmmmmm?!

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Miller, Kennedy, Slew, Bully, Tanner, Donaldson are goners

May 1, 2011
greenmarc":11k0zggr said:
some people ....out played Grimsby totally especially 2nd half ...1st half didn't look to threatening despite all the possession ....even more dominant 2nd half but there keeper made 3 class saves ...as previously said nothing really feel for us in the box but it wasn't to be ....glad I made the 7 hour trip and proud to support a fantastic football club .....the scenes at the end will live in the memory for a long time

Outplayed them? They were one up in under a minute and for the first 20 minutes we were all over the shop and they looked dangerous every time they attacked. Yeah we huffed and puffed in the second half but that wasn't enough. A big anti climax as we had already celebrates promotion. Grimsby has more energy than us from the start which I can't understand.

May 1, 2011
Herts_Green":gqw8gehj said:
Bristol Rich":gqw8gehj said:
Forest of Dean Green":gqw8gehj said:
Bristol Rich":gqw8gehj said:

We are up that's all that matters. The title would have been nice but I think you need to lighten up. Job done this season and onto the next.

Today was unprofessional and that's hard to take. We threw away the title. It's okay to cross about that but still pleased we are promoted.

Apr 1, 2009
arrythewurzel":3quznuf1 said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of disappointment. You only get disappointed if you have a bit of ambition. We set our sights high today, and it didn't happen. Absolutely no need to reassess whether Argyle's for me.

The last paragraph is just unnecessary. One of my group twisted an ankle quite badly on the way in. A group of Grimsby fans were sympathetic and helpful. fetched the St John's people, and even left a phone number in case we needed help finding more medical attention afterwards. Ridiculous to disparage the whole lot of them and their town.

Gam

Oct 1, 2016
Having been at the match today can't buy in to the statement wr threw the championship away today
We did that in January anf Febuary on cold Tursday nights
The players gave their sll gor the club today sucker killer call inside 1 minute from a needless corner

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Today is not the day for a season long reflection but we were fortunate to be in front going into the last day. The title went to the team playing the most attacking football. Three teams promoted with completely different styles - all effective over the season.

I think we have the best group of players and I don't think we've done the best we could have wih them.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
I am sure there will be a squad overhaul in the coming weeks.

The problem is too many slow starts to games too often.

A strong run in by Pompey saw them snatch the title from ourselves and Doncaster who have been the teams in possession of top spot for the majority of the season. Perhaps a runners up spot is a fair reflection on our successful but somehow not dominant season.

Now for a few dull weeks until the new signings start to arrive.