Brief Synopsis!!! (Grimsby) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Grimsby)

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
cheshiregreen":24av8yq2 said:
And those home defeats also dented our goal difference. 0-3 beatings by Grimsby Luton and Blackpool plus the late goals to allow Wycombe to snatch a 3-3. Fine margins.

I really fail to understand how our solid defence fell to pieces so badly occasionally.

Actually, Orient beat us 2-3 at Home Park scoring twice late on including a winner in stoppage time by a player who should have been sent off moments before. If we had drawn in that game then we would be champions. If I had to pick one game/moment that cost us the title it is that game and, in particular, the last 5 minutes of it. And when I think back to how I felt during, and immediately after, that game the main thing I recall is the absolutely dreadful display of refereeing that night. I left Home Park that night absolutely feeling that the referee had cost us that game. Obviously, I know that there were other reasons too and that the luck evens itself out to some extent over a season but that game is the one that I would 'blame' if I wanted to blame anything.

Sep 25, 2010
Bristol Rich":25lccvwv said:
Forest of Dean Green":25lccvwv said:
Bristol Rich":25lccvwv said:
Total anti climax. Some Argyle fans are too easily satisfied.

Lucky we had a climax before against Newport then isn't it. The ability of some to see the cherry on top of a bakewell as a turd is remarkable. And boring.
And sad.

I could bite here but I won't. I was at the game today and I'm telling you it was a total anti climax with too many supporters thinking it was a party when there was a job to be done. We didn't turn up and it was pretty unprofessional, but if you're happy with us blowing a rare chance to actually win a league, that's up to you.

If you want to blindly cheer and not think you might be better at Seaworld:)

I must have been at a different game

We did turn up and put in a performance, except for the first 15 mins,

Unprofessional absolutely not, very professional by the team and management.

What lost us was our home form, losing 7 at home, but we still finished runners up.

It was our Tuesday nights at home.

May 1, 2011
Martyn":3vkqzr5i said:
Bristol Rich":3vkqzr5i said:
Forest of Dean Green":3vkqzr5i said:
Bristol Rich":3vkqzr5i said:
Total anti climax. Some Argyle fans are too easily satisfied.

Lucky we had a climax before against Newport then isn't it. The ability of some to see the cherry on top of a bakewell as a turd is remarkable. And boring.
And sad.

I could bite here but I won't. I was at the game today and I'm telling you it was a total anti climax with too many supporters thinking it was a party when there was a job to be done. We didn't turn up and it was pretty unprofessional, but if you're happy with us blowing a rare chance to actually win a league, that's up to you.

If you want to blindly cheer and not think you might be better at Seaworld:)

I must have been at a different game

We did turn up and put in a performance, except for the first 15 mins,

Unprofessional absolutely not, very professional by the team and management.

What lost us was our home form, losing 7 at home, but we still finished runners up.

It was our Tuesday nights at home.

I think that's my whole point though. We both agree that the yesterday 15-20 mins we weren't at the races then. A very sloppy goal after 47 seconds and we were lucky it wasn't 2.

That is very unprofessional in a must win game. Yesterday wasn't supposed to be a promotion party, we had that against Newport.

See though Portsmouth celebrations is galling.

Sep 25, 2010
plymouthboyuk":3foumgb2 said:
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/russell-slade-unimpressed-with-referee-ross-joyce-in-grimsby-town-s-draw-with-plymouth-argyle/story-30316625-detail/story.html

Russell Slade not impressed

Must have a good ref then

Sep 6, 2006
arrythewurzel":37ppb9t1 said:
Extremely proud of my team tonight. We threw the kitchen sink at them second half. Keeper made a couple of good saves and it was one of those games where the ball just didn't drop for us. I also felt we overplayed it in the final third a few times but only because we wanted to create a really good opening rather than a risky half chance of a shot. Grimsby were really up for this game and clearly they weren't going to let us celebrate on their patch without a fight.

Desperately poor start made it difficult .. but Argyle never make it easy. Anyone who is bitter and disappointed to night needs to reassess whether Argyles for them. No player left anything on the pitch and Bradley was beside himself following his last minute effort didn't go in.

Their fans lack a bit of class. Keeping the ball in injury time and some middle aged jerks near us warned several times for provoking our lot. But failing. Mind you I'd have a inferiority complex living in a dump like Grimsby. Depressing place where only the plywood window boarders are making a living ...

Extremely proud....? of drawing at Grimsby?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I don't think we were 'unprofessional', but to concede so early from a routine set piece in a massive game is absolutely criminal.

Unfortunately on reflection, it'll be hard not to remember this as "the season we threw away the title on the final day".

Great day out regardless though, excited for next season. Very intrigued to see what DA does with the squad in the summer.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Most of us are just happy to be promoted - if we didn't accumulate enough points to win the league you need to look at all the games we didn't win. Anyway, in my opinion we were unlucky to concede that goal yesterday - it's not as though our defence didn't try. Any team can concede a goal like that.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Green_Matt":10bzvbnu said:
Most of us are just happy to be promoted - if we didn't accumulate enough points to win the league you need to look at all the games we didn't win. Anyway, in my opinion we were unlucky to concede that goal yesterday - it's not as though our defence didn't try. Any team can concede a goal like that.

Just like our league position isn't "luck", conceding that goal wasn't "bad luck" it was bad defending. I'm delighted to be promotion, but let's not dress yesterday down. We f*cked up winning the title infront of 2000 fans, many of which had travelled the best part of 400 miles to get there.

I left before the on-pitch celebrations, thankfully, because whilst we do have reason to celebrate, yesterday's outcome was a bitter pill to swallow.

May 1, 2011
Green_Matt":hbpygq3v said:

How was the goal unlucky? It went straight across our 6 yard box. Luke flapped and the defence were asleep. It happened again 5 minutes later.

May 1, 2011
Because we weren't ready to go from the off, we were sloppy and slow. Grimsby came right out of the traps and caught us sleeping. Remember the Darlington title winning game a few years ago, we came out like lightening that night.

lipsonlad67

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 17, 2016
Deepest Lincolnshire
Nobby":2r9cjt1k said:
Unfortunately on reflection, it'll be hard not to remember this as "the season we threw away the title on the final day".

Know what you mean, but I don't see it that way. To me the two previous seasons were where we threw it away in the play-offs, this season to me is the one where we finally got out of league 2.

The home game against Newport, and what that meant, was far more representative of my memory of the season than what happened at Grimsby.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Nobby":32keyen2 said:
I don't think we were 'unprofessional', but to concede so early from a routine set piece in a massive game is absolutely criminal.

This - our inability to try not to lose rather go all guns blazing for the win cost us.

Yesterday was a free hit - we had nothing to lose.

Ah well. Still a good season, but will always be in the what if bracket for me

Back to "typical Argyle" for me :)