Brief Synopsis!!! (Grimsby) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Grimsby)

Mar 14, 2009
Mark Pedlar":1632cy0e said:
Today is not the day for a season long reflection but we were fortunate to be in front going into the last day. The title went to the team playing the most attacking football. Three teams promoted with completely different styles - all effective over the season.

I think we have the best group of players and I don't think we've done the best we could have with them.

I must admit I disagree to an extent.

I think we got the most out of our players. People like Slew, Smith, Songo etc..... were just bouncing from club to club. Here they played a part in our season. Our squad wasn't surely better than Doncaster or Portsmouth. Yet Adams got the most out of what he had.

Today was very much like a number of games we have seen. First half we were lucky not to have been more than a goal down. They had some decent chances. Second half we came out and had a real go. We thought tremendously hard to get back in the game and on other days, like at Crawley, we find winners that maybe we didn't quite deserve.

That's why in the cold light of reflecting on today, that losing the chance of being champions is annoying but we maybe should admit we weren't a side that was quite good enough to be seen as the best team in the league because of our playing decencies. Effort and commitment was terrific though and that is what propelled our side into the top 3 and making them stay there.

I do hope next season though we see more of the second half Argyle, than the first half, that played today.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Carey, Threlkeld, Bradley, Jervis, Songo'o and even Slew have just had the best season of their careers. Adams has got the most out of talented journey men.

Today the Tuesday night horror shows came back to haunt us.
A point at a grim northern outpost is usually a good result but not today.

Can Adams now go out and build his third team and do well in League One? Will he need to find another Carey?

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Bristol Rich":ihwlxcct said:
Forest of Dean Green":ihwlxcct said:
Bristol Rich":ihwlxcct said:
Total anti climax. Some Argyle fans are too easily satisfied.

Lucky we had a climax before against Newport then isn't it. The ability of some to see the cherry on top of a bakewell as a turd is remarkable. And boring. And sad.

I could bite here but I won't. I was at the game today and I'm telling you it was a total anti climax with too many supporters thinking it was a party when there was a job to be done. We didn't turn up and it was pretty unprofessional, but if you're happy with us blowing a rare chance to actually win a league, that's up to you.

If you want to blindly cheer and not think you might be better at Seaworld:)

Like a three badge piranha fish. :twisted:

May 1, 2011
justanotherfan":2nwn346h said:
Bristol Rich":2nwn346h said:
Forest of Dean Green":2nwn346h said:
Bristol Rich":2nwn346h said:

Lucky we had a climax before against Newport then isn't it. The ability of some to see the cherry on top of a bakewell as a turd is remarkable. And boring. And sad.

I could bite here but I won't. I was at the game today and I'm telling you it was a total anti climax with too many supporters thinking it was a party when there was a job to be done. We didn't turn up and it was pretty unprofessional, but if you're happy with us blowing a rare chance to actually win a league, that's up to you.

I am biting after that total lack of professionalism today.

Aug 5, 2016
PL2 3DQ":v25zuy0q said:
Carey, Threlkeld, Bradley, Jervis, Songo'o and even Slew have just had the best season of their careers. Adams has got the most out of talented journey men.

Can Adams now go out and build his third team and do well in League One? Will he need to find another Carey?

Bit harsh labelling some of them as journeymen - Threlkeld is 23 and only ever played for two clubs in his life!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Knibbsworth":19fcg67k said:
PL2 3DQ":19fcg67k said:

Bit harsh labelling Threlkeld a journeyman, he's 23 and only ever played for two clubs in his life!

True but it was a general point that Adams got the best out of players who hadn't achieved much before and just had the best season of their career.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Bristol Rich":2a5lojga said:
justanotherfan":2a5lojga said:
Forest of Dean Green":2a5lojga said:

I am biting after that total lack of professional today.
Have you sobered up yet Rich?

Aug 15, 2008
It was the insipid home games against the bottom teams that did it. hey ho we go again.

May 1, 2011
Keepitgreen":azla5sqj said:
Bristol Rich":azla5sqj said:
justanotherfan":azla5sqj said:
Forest of Dean Green":azla5sqj said:

I am biting after that total lack of professional today.
Have you sobered up yet Rich?

We were unprofessional yesterday and that was very hard to take.

However that doesn't mean that I'm not happy we are promoted.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
And those home defeats also dented our goal difference. 0-3 beatings by Grimsby Luton and Blackpool plus the late goals to allow Wycombe to snatch a 3-3. Fine margins.

I really fail to understand how our solid defence fell to pieces so badly occasionally.

Aug 5, 2016
It's a 46 game season for christ sakes. You don't think Pompey or Doncaster had some bad games or testing patches of form?

Doncaster drew 1 and lost 4 of their last five matches - that's a reason to be gutted! Meanwhile Argyle fans are picking out a 3-0 loss to Luton in August as the reason, or a 3-2 defeat three months ago.

We had our chance over 90 minutes and blew it, but we're going up anyway. :scarf:

Aug 5, 2016
PL2 3DQ":1dzqqn8w said:
Knibbsworth":1dzqqn8w said:
PL2 3DQ":1dzqqn8w said:

Bit harsh labelling Threlkeld a journeyman, he's 23 and only ever played for two clubs in his life!

True but it was a general point that Adams got the best out of players who hadn't achieved much before and just had the best season of their career.

It shows Adams's budget. DA got the likes of Ryan Taylor, Sarcevic and Kennedy in after the Liverpool matches, and it showed we had a budget for an upmarket bracket of player who had a history of starting in good quality sides.

However pre season, Adams did a terrific job in assembling a squad of players who hadn't won a lot or had many accolades between them. They were largely unknown players without much of a reputation in England. He was obviously having to scour the bargain buckets while shopping at a different supermarket back then.

Given we lost the title on goal difference to Pompey, I dread to think how much more Cook had to spend on his squad than Derek Adams.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Joint top and promotion is satisfactory and certainly the away strategy has been impeccable.
The disappointment has to be that, after seeing the way we dismantled Newport, we really could've put some other sides to the sword with a bit more attacking intent.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Knibbsworth":2ia85y4p said:
PL2 3DQ":2ia85y4p said:

Bit harsh labelling some of them as journeymen - Threlkeld is 23 and only ever played for two clubs in his life!

Oscar Threlkeld, for me, is a brave and determined player who always gives 100% and 'leaves nothing on the pitch' (Bradley's expression). He also, like Kelvin Mellor did, provides good attacking support. Gary Miller is a useful full back who gives his best but contributes little in an attacking role.

DA has done a fantastic job in his time at PAFC, as results indicate, and I hope that he stays for the long term. However, one thing that baffles me is that he does seem to rate Miller higher than Threlkeld. I hope that Threlkeld's contract does not expire in June as I could understand if he decided to move on given the opportunity.