Brief Synopsis!!! (Northampton) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Northampton)

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Poor game. I was surprised at just how bad Northampton were--what on earth has happened to them? Good deliveries from Carey good aerial presence from Bradley at all set pieces, which was just as well as his passing was so atrocious I thought he must be wearing wellington boots. Positives were the crowd who showed a lot of patience, Argyle not sitting back after the first goal and for the most part pressing higher up the pitch after the second goal. We did fall into some familiar hoof ball tactics and sitting too deep on occasions but there did seem to be an attempt to learn from previous mistakes. I think Fletcher should have been given 15 or 20 minutes and would like to have seen Wylde provide an escape route for the defence. But we won, on a Tuesday night and we have found at least one team that is worse than us.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Cobblers to the Tuesday jinx! :)

We produced one of our best home displays of the season in what was a crucial win.

Two headed goals from Bradley from free-kicks taken by Fox and Carey was the difference against a poor Northampton team. Bradley was dominant in defence and attack and could have had a hat trick or better when two other headers whistled just wide. Bradley plays better when he has Songo'o alongside him instead of Edwards and I think they are our best centre-back pairing. Edwards is a good defender but Songo'o makes Bradley a better defender.

The fans were fantastic throughout the game and once the loud pre-match music did its best to kill the atmosphere the fans took over and backed the team once they saw the players were up for it tonight.

We had another injury before the game and two injuries during the game. Reserve keeper Mike Cooper missed the game and 16 year old Max Childs took over on the bench - on a school night as well.
Our only fit professional keeper picked up an injury during the game and soldiered on with a limp, hopefully Matthews will be ok for Saturday.
Jervis suffered an injury in the groin area in the opening minutes of the match when he was man-handled on his man-tackle during a tackle but was able to continue after giving himself a rub down!

We were nervous during the opening minutes and Bradley and Songo'o were hesitant - giving the ball away in dangerous positions.

We slowly got to grips with Northampton and put them under pressure, it looked at first that we would start another home game by sitting back and containing the opposition but today we pushed forward more.

The runs of Jervis down the channels caused problems - once again he's not a target man and will not hold up the ball, a point lost on some fans but his running brings a different attacking dimension to the team.

We had a couple of free flowing moves where the ball was moved around the team and one particular move ended with Carey hitting the side netting.

We got our deserved goal when Fox floated a free-kick into the box and there was Bradley to easily head in. Just like the old days!

Northampton retaliated and pushed forward and forced the half-fit Matthews into an excellent low save.

We started the second half again on the front foot and scored through another Bradley header. This time it was Carey who dinked a cross to the far post and the unmarked Bradley headed in. The whole team minus Matthews, who probably couldn't run that far anyway, joined Bradley in front of the Spion Kop to celebrate the goal.

Soon after a Carey low cross just evaded the diving Jervis and two Bradley headers just went wide, it seemed everytime he came forward for a corner or free-kick he would score and the crowd knew it!

After those close chances we contained Northampton, some fans became nervous but Northampton were allowed to have the ball on the halfway line and once they came towards us we snuffed them out and stopped any clear cut chances except for one which shot just wide.
The game plan reverted to type - contain, stifle and play on the counter attack, which is fine when 2-0 up but not when losing a game which has happened in other games.

We easily closed down the game and claimed the deserved win.

Northampton were poor, which was either due to them actually being that poor or we made them play like that with our energy and football.
Many fans want Adams replaced but would another manager get the wins and play good football just as Adams and his team did tonight? Credit where it's due.
The bottom of League One is now bunched up and we would be out of the relegation zone on Saturday.

When either Carey or Bradley play well the team usually plays well and both players had good games, especially Bradley.

Fox was consistent as ever, he slotted into the Songo'o role at the base of the midfield which allowed Sarcevic and Diagouraga to push forward.
Diagouraga has been an excellent signing and his passing and quick feet was a feature tonight. Sarcevic is still struggling to find his place in the team and at times it shows.

Taylor-Sinclair was close to being man of the match, he hardly put a foot wrong and showed he can push forward.
Grant did a job for the team and once again got into some promising positions without finding the killer final ball.

It's a pity we didn't score more goals but it seemed the clean sheet was of more importance during the closing stages.

When we score first Adams' tactics work and tonight they worked a treat!

Man of the Match - Bradley.

Matthews 7, Sawyer 7, Songo'o 7, Bradley 8, Taylor-Sinclair 7, Fox 7, Diagouraga 7, Sarcevic 6, Carey 7, Grant 6, Jervis 7. Subs Fletcher n/a, Ainsworth n/a.

A special mention for the referee, what a relief to have a good ref, you can see why he's been fast tracked from non-league.

Feb 15, 2005
I agree more with PL2’s synopsis than Marks, I think we did a lot better than recent home games. I think we three clean sheets, no goals conceded, no Reds and no yellows ( might be wrong here). I thought JJ worked his socks off and occupied there CB’s with his pace and endeavour, his hold up play needs work. Carey and Bradley were stars for me but one defeat in 6 or 7 is heading in the right direction. Even when Taylor returns we need to sign a back up in January sales.

Jan 17, 2006
Saltash
I love how different people see different things... I thought Sarcevic was quite good tonight, and certainly last year was one of our better players but seems to be the scapegoat this year

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We weren't incredible or anything, but personally think that Mark's synopsis is far to harsh, we haven't had much this season so we should allow ourselves a bit of positivity.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
green_pants":3rpds4oa said:
I love how different people see different things... I thought Sarcevic was quite good tonight, and certainly last year was one of our better players but seems to be the scapegoat this year
Miller not playing and Mellor gone - looks like Sarcevic is having to stand in for them until the Dutch 'keeper is fit!!!!

Apr 5, 2008
Out of the bottom four if we win next game I would think.

Onwards and upwards .Great Argyle show of character after losing to Oxford.Thought oxford were world beaters according to some posters after Saturdays win.Remind me how Oxford got on tonight :funny:

:scarf:

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Not the best but an improvement nonetheless.

Hopefully on Saturday we don't fall into our shells because Pompey are there for the taking.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
A 2 - 0 home win on a Tuesday night and all 11 players staying on the pitch- yippee

Who would of thought it and a massive result in a 6 pointer relegation battle. Said these games will define our season now and we simply must WIN them to have any chance of staying up. Gillingham game will be equally as important to WIN

TBH though it wasn't the best of games and Northampton really were COBBLERS and are one of the 4 teams we need to be above at the end of the season.
Hopefully this will raise confidence ahead of the pompey game which is always a difficult game to call, with us having the edge in recent years

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
The only good thing about tonight was 3 very welcome points. The game itself was a poor spectacle and more fitting to a non league match. Poor passing, lack of invention from both sides. We were fortunate to score two good set piece headers to lift the gloom. You may say Northampton dragged us down to their level, but unfortunately that is our level, and we are going to have to scrap for every point. I do think we will avoid the drop though.

Aug 8, 2014
arrythewurzel":7mirq74p said:
Comfortable win but Sarcevic had another absolute shocker. How he gets in ahead of others is baffling.

In my opinion, he was the difference as helped get us further up the pitch, jervis occupied the centre backs and despite some wayward passes he never gave up and ran the channels well.
Sarvecic helped us control the midfield and we played some good stuff, he got tired and should have been replaced. That's why we dropped deep, that was the time for a subsition not the pointless ones at the end.....comfortable win

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I think Mark's synopsis is far too negative and Ian's is far too positive.

It was a comfortable win against the poorest team I have seen this season but we did concede far too much time and space to Northampton after scoring the second goal. We rallied a bit towards the end but better opposition would probably have taken advantage of our overly cautious mindset (as, indeed, Shrewsbury did).

I thought Jervis was excellent, leading from the front, Sarcevic much more involved than usual but still too wasteful and Fox and Diagouraga solid.

I'm a bit worried about Songo'o. He looked far from
comfortable at the final whistle, going down on all fours for some time and clutching his chest when he finally got up and walked off with the physio. It all looked a bit of an odd one, like he had chest pains or a rib injury. He was fouled shortly before but that seemed to be a facial injury so I am not sure if the two things were related.

Bring on Portsmouth.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
The Doctor":18vaj4mw said:
I think Mark's synopsis is far too negative and Ian's is far too positive.

It was a comfortable win against the poorest team I have seen this season but we did concede far too much time and space to Northampton after scoring the second goal. We rallied a bit towards the end but better opposition would probably have taken advantage of our overly cautious mindset (as, indeed, Shrewsbury did).

I thought Jervis was excellent, leading from the front, Sarcevic much more involved than usual but still too wasteful and Fox and Diagouraga solid.

I'm a bit worried about Songo'o. He looked far from
comfortable at the final whistle, going down on all fours for some time and clutching his chest when he finally got up and walked off with the physio. It all looked a bit of an odd one, like he had chest pains or a rib injury. He was fouled shortly before but that seemed to be a facial injury so I am not sure if the two things were related.

Bring on Portsmouth.

He did come down very heavy on his back--hope he's ok.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Songo'o didn't look in a good state at full time. Worrying if he's out on Saturday. Is Sokolik fit?

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
A dull but very functional performance for me. We did what we needed to well. Everyone was focussed and did their jobs. Our leader’s particular motivated to get the win with notable efforts from the experienced player to motivate each other and the crowd.

Northampton were poor, but then so were Doncaster and we fell apart. You can see we have improved in that period.

Derek did enough to stop the negativity after Oxford and no player had a head rush to cause pressure and Derek left his random substitution lottery approach at home.

We will need better players in the squad and fit to compete with better teams week in and week out; but at least we matched our peer tonight at that for me is a big step forward.

I will take the monkeys (the dreadful home run and Tuesday night fiasco) off our back over chasing a third goal tonight.

Well done to the fans as well - brilliant attitude after Saturday.