Brief Synopsis!!! (Northampton) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Northampton)

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
samjones":dzxww2cg said:
A 2 - 0 home win on a Tuesday night and all 11 players staying on the pitch- yippee

Who would have thought it and a massive result in a 6 pointer relegation battle. Said these games will define our season now and we simply must WIN them to have any chance of staying up. Gillingham game will be equally as important to WIN

TBH though it wasn't the best of games and Northampton really were COBBLERS and are one of the 4 teams we need to be above at the end of the season.
Hopefully this will raise confidence ahead of the pompey game which is always a difficult game to call, with us having the edge in recent years

I know you'd hate to admit it, but there is a hint of positivity in your post!

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Yeah I thought sarcevic did ok and kept us higher up the pitch until he ran out of steam. Jervis was also spent and we could of done with the fresh legs with 20 minutes to go to keep us from dropping too deep as usual.
This time we got away with it as Northampton were poor and never going to score 2

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
LeonTheGreen":1g0lzxri said:
samjones":1g0lzxri said:
A 2 - 0 home win on a Tuesday night and all 11 players staying on the pitch- yippee

Who would have thought it and a massive result in a 6 pointer relegation battle. Said these games will define our season now and we simply must WIN them to have any chance of staying up. Gillingham game will be equally as important to WIN

TBH though it wasn't the best of games and Northampton really were COBBLERS and are one of the 4 teams we need to be above at the end of the season.
Hopefully this will raise confidence ahead of the pompey game which is always a difficult game to call, with us having the edge in recent years

I know you'd hate to admit it, but there is a hint of positivity in your post!

The positivity is we simply have to WIN all these type of 6 pointer games to have 4 teams below us and I'm clinging onto that hope. Admittedly its not much to cling onto but if we were to win all these games home and away there still might be a slim chance.

Its almost a mini relegation league of about 8 teams. Roll on the Gillingham Home game

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
He made a few sloppy passes but Sarcevic gives our midfield some much needed movement and energy. Definitely didn't think he was 'poor'.

Sep 23, 2005
memory man":27hazjsm said:
green_pants":27hazjsm said:
I love how different people see different things... I thought Sarcevic was quite good tonight, and certainly last year was one of our better players but seems to be the scapegoat this year
Miller not playing and Mellor gone - looks like Sarcevic is having to stand in for them until the Dutch 'keeper is fit!!!!
Yep too true constantly being berated by those around us. Selective vision, everything decent ignored, any error screamed at. I hate it when our lot get on the back of one of our own but it's always been the same. I thought he did ok and yelling abuse is hardly going to help is it.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
abysmal spectacle with northampton one of the poorest side i have seen in years.on this showing these two sides and two others are down.two good deliveries by graham and two well placed headers by sonny.these were the main highlights!i don't normally rate sarcevic but i thought he did well tonight.my ratings;

Remi Matthews - 6
Gary Sawyer - 7
Yann Songo'o - 6
Sonny Bradley - 6
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 5
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Tounami Diagouraga - 2
David Fox - 7
Graham Carey - 7
Joel Grant - 3
Jake Jervis - 5

Max Childs - unused
Gary Miller - unused
Ruben Lameiras - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Lionel Ainsworth - n/a
Alex Fletcher - n/a
Nadir Ciftci - unused

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
landons forehead":3d4p1now said:
Voice_of_Reason":3d4p1now said:
Had to listen in via Radio Northampton they were very impressed with Toums and thought he bossed the game.

They were right, in my view. A very effective player and for me the major catalyst in our upturn. That and Carey deciding he wants to start playing again.

Completely agree - Diagouraga MoM for me. Can't understand why some can't see the quality he has. Yes, the legs aren't what they were, but class prevails.

Good old sunny sonny. His 2 goals lit up home park tonight as we finally ended that bleddy awful tuesday
night hoodoo at long last.
A big smacker of a punch in the mush to all DA critics too, including me, so well done delboy on a great
team performance and result. This is just what doubters like me needed.
I can see light at the end of the tunnel again now. Thanks for all the effort you boys in green put in too.
Its made one argyle fan here chuffed to bits tonight. Not just the result but the performance to go with it.
No radical changes in the team or formation. 4141 again. This time though it worked perfectly with
the 3 CMs combining in defence and attack snuffing out threats just outside our box. Our recent achilles imho.
Thereby setting in motion the counter attacking too that has been so missing in recent games since shrewsbury.
The foxy (sitting), toums and sarce combination worked just perfect. That was the key for me. It was the same
gameplan as against the shrews. Contain and then control.
MOM could go to any of the team but im giving it to JJ again as his all round play and effort he put in was
just phenomenal. His pace was causing all kinds of probs for their back 4.
Because of all this possesion we were winning in CM we were then able to control the game and give all our
attackers some great service to counter with.
The only disappointment is that we didnt score any more from open play which i thought our performance deserved.
Some cracking football played at times though. Lots of one touch stuff again.
Defensively rock solid first half against their 4231 as they played deep and really, really impressive when
they pushed up on us second half. They just ran out of ideas in the end and we could have scored many more
on the counter with just a little bit more luck and perhaps a bit more guile.
The 2 goals were set piece efforts with GC10 back in business with 2 assists for sonny.
Nice simple far post floaters with powerful headers from the big fella. He was after a hat trick too as
numerous corners were lofted in his direction but he couldnt quite get a similar contact again as the
cobblers defenders baulked him.
Remi proved again what a fine keeper he is. The 2 FBs were excellent defending and on the ball.
Yanner and sonny did well as the CB pair. Foxy and toums kept going to the end despite 2 games in 4 days
and sarce helped them dominate midfield. The most encouraging thing for me about tonight.
Gc10 and joel continually threatened, likewise our new livewire striker JJ.
It is only one game and against lowly opposition but it gives a massive boost to everybody connected
with the club after all the recent setbacks. That we can come out of this and escape the trapdoor.
To DA, the staff and the argyle boys. You did us proud tonight. Thanks for a great nights entertainment.
Off to bed now with a big cheesy grin on me face.
Hmm, now iv written that im going to have to scoff a late night cheese toastie as well now to celebrate.
Good night all. Night night hoodoo. :scarf:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I just spat my tea out at Steve's rating for Toumani.

I know these ratings are a bit of fun but... wow. Sorry Steve, that's a disgrace.

Oct 31, 2015
Steve Evans":xuuf6foi said:
abysmal spectacle with northampton one of the poorest side i have seen in years.on this showing these two sides and two others are down.two good deliveries by graham and two well placed headers by sonny.these were the main highlights!i don't normally rate sarcevic but i thought he did well tonight.my ratings;

Remi Matthews - 6
Gary Sawyer - 7
Yann Songo'o - 6
Sonny Bradley - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Tounami Diagouraga - 2
David Fox - 7
Graham Carey - 7
Joel Grant - 3
Jake Jervis - 5

Max Childs - unused
Gary Miller - unused
Ruben Lameiras - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Lionel Ainsworth - n/a
Alex Fletcher - n/a
Nadir Ciftci - unused

Were you watching the same match!!!!!

Toums was winning a lot of balls and hardly ever wasted a pass. Yea he cannot sprint or shoot but you are way off the mark.

I would suggest his success rate in tackles and passes was one of the highest in the team. He will always give you a 6 or 7 doing the dirty work!!!which gives Carey license.

ATS was solid going forward and in defence and Grant and Jervis worked their socks off for the cause until their legs went.

Mar 14, 2009
So not sure what it was in particular but after 10-20mins of that game you knew Argyle should win the game. Northampton were that poor/bad.

What I didn't know though is that Bradley would return to scoring action and show the forwards and midfielders how to hit the back of the net. Great to see and a welcome return of return to goal scoring form. A number of decent performances which should have seen Argyle score more goals.

You cant say that Northampton didn't put the effort in but compared to the other sides we have seen down here their was a gulf in the level of skill and application. Now it might be levelled at me that Argyle made them look poor. However, given I have seen 10 homes games I really do believe Northampton will either be relegated or very close to it given how poorly they played.

Argyle had them on the ropes numerous times but failed often with the final ball. However we got the goals but instead of killing them off we sat back in the second half against a very poor side. Fortunately, for us Northampton missed the good chances they had. Some of their better chances was a free header at the far post in the first half which Matthews just managed to grab on second attempt and the 1-on-1 in the second half which the Northampton forward dinked over Matthews but wide of the post.

Argyle need to repeat this performance and result though against better opposition at HP. There is a reason why Northampton and Argyle both sat on -15 goal difference before tonight's game.

So good that we got an essential 3 points tonight but the question remains have we turned a corner or did we just play a side who is in fact one of the worse 4-6 clubs in league one along with us.

Aug 2, 2011
Steve Evans":19wgtza7 said:

Remi Matthews - 6
Gary Sawyer - 7
Yann Songo'o - 6
Sonny Bradley - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Tounami Diagouraga - 2
David Fox - 7
Graham Carey - 7
Joel Grant - 3
Jake Jervis - 5

Max Childs - unused
Gary Miller - unused
Ruben Lameiras - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Lionel Ainsworth - n/a
Alex Fletcher - n/a
Nadir Ciftci - unused

Given this comment and indeed previous post match comments and ratings I find it difficult to believe you attended the game or indeed have any comprehension of football!

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Diagouraga 2?! Were you actually at the game?! :lol: