Brief Synopsis!!! (Weymouth) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Weymouth)

Sep 6, 2006
Metal_Green_Mickey":1fmimyti said:
Rob_GT4":1fmimyti said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1fmimyti said:
up_the_line":1fmimyti said:
DartingtonPilgrim":1fmimyti said:
Oh Dear UTL, you can't take anyone seriously who thinks the squad is stronger than last year.
Hope you're happy on your planet.

You think that Bulvitis, Songo'o and Bradley are better options at cb than McHugh, Nelson and (for all his faults) Hartley?
You reckon that ijaha is more of a prospect than boateng?
You looking forward to when Goodwillie puts his 50th goal for Argyle in inside the time it took Reid to?
You think Donaldson will be a more creative outlet than tanner could have been if used properly?

Nelson, McHugh and Hartley.... That would be the 3 who were ripped apart by bottom of the table Dagenham and Redbridge in the first 45 mins on that important home game.

Boateng would be guy bottled it at Wembley and whos impact in his second loan spell was half to that in his first

Reid would be the guy who had a good Sept/Oct and we didn't see again mainly due to injury. He would be the guy who would struggle to play the lone forward role, when fit, yet when Brunt played it the team played significantly better.

Tanner would be the guy that disappeared after January. Who made little or no impact when he started or came on as sub. Who's final ball or decision making just wasn't up to it which is why Wylde always had the nod over him come the second half of the season.

Players like McHugh, Boateng and Nelson were the reason we got as close to promotion as we did! (in my opinion of course). We didn't make it over the line because we lost too many of them all at the same time and our momentum/confidence died, we never recovered from that and by the end of the season the core of the team that had to play nearly every game were finished/exhausted. All we needed to do this season was use a reportedly much better budget to take a similar strength first team and make a couple of decent additions so that there's both more competition and worthwhile backup when things go wrong. I can't see that we've done that at the moment, it seems like we've sacrificed quality for quantity.

McHugh and Nelson played in the Dagenham and Redbridge game that got ripped apart by the worst club in the league, at home. Yes, these players who also got us close to promotion (which your right about) but they bottled some massive games.

A year before McHugh and Nelson were part of a back 3 ripped apart by Wycombe. They lost their nerve.

This year they were part of a Wembley team that never turned up against Wimbledon.

They bottled it. They might be decent players for this level yet in too many important games
They went missing.

You say they are important players for us. Where were they when we really needed them?

If it happened once then fair enough. Yet two years in a row under different managers says to me there was something wrong with the players mentality.

Can't agree. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater suits the situation. We lose a couple of important games therefore we should get rid of our better players. Makes little sense.

Sep 6, 2006
Knarf Reprah":tm5wp5fm said:
Emu":tm5wp5fm said:
As soon as the going gets moderate or choppy you are on here like a shot UTL to tell us all about doom and gloom.

It's cringeworthy to be honest.

Go and stand with Balham Green in the naughty corner please. :)

I reckon they want Argo to fail

You may follow them through thin and thin, cheer them on but writing negative posts on some insignificant forum means you want them 'to fail'. Pathetic.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
BG , we didn't get rid of some of our better players , they chose to leave and nobody knows yet whether our new players are better or worse than those that have left , only time will tell with that .
With regard to negative posts , if they are delivered constructively , i would expect most people to respect them , even if they disagree , the problem for me is that some posters write negatively with out any evidence to back up their claims , it would appear with the hope that if they repeat it often enough it becomes truth , i don't understand that mentality .

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
DartingtonPilgrim":20uepchl said:
BG , we didn't get rid of some of our better players , they chose to leave and nobody knows yet whether our new players are better or worse than those that have left , only time will tell with that .
With regard to negative posts , if they are delivered constructively , i would expect most people to respect them , even if they disagree , the problem for me is that some posters write negatively with out any evidence to back up their claims , it would appear with the hope that if they repeat it often enough it becomes truth , i don't understand that mentality .

I think the crackpot one year contract situation hasn't helped. I think a lot of people (the same people that think that last season was pretty good) if pushed would say that they'd hoped we could keep the nucleus of the squad in place from last season and supplement it rather than having to sign an entirely new team.

So you're saying we shouldn't have a negative opinion of our new signings, even based on their ailing careers and past and what we've seen thus far? OK, in that case, positive opinions about the same players should be banned.

'in the hope they come true'. Yeah cos I go to 30 odd games a season in the hope Argyle fail. Bit of an expensive fetish? Most Plymouthians who hope Argyle fail do it from the comfort of their armchair (until we play at Wembley).

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
You really are a ray of sunshine UTL.
For the record , i wouldn't question whether any of the people that post negatively are Argyle fans .
I just don't understand someone claiming that our new players are cheap options and a downgrade on our wonderful team from last year , your negative opinions of our new signings are without any foundation at all as far as i'm concerned , and as for banning negative or positive opinions , what a load of rubbish , this is a discussion site and I am discussing your views , which i disagree with.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
DartingtonPilgrim":1ejgpw0i said:
You really are a ray of sunshine UTL.
For the record , i wouldn't question whether any of the people that post negatively are Argyle fans .
I just don't understand someone claiming that our new players are cheap options and a downgrade on our wonderful team from last year , your negative opinions of our new signings are without any foundation at all as far as i'm concerned , and as for banning negative or positive opinions , what a load of rubbish , this is a discussion site and I am discussing your views , which i disagree with.

What? I can't have opinions about any other players than those I've seen play at least 20 games in Argyle colours? So I should greet every signing with enthusiasm? Nonsense, utter nonsense. If there are rumours I shouldn't be able to say 'nah don't fancy that player' because I haven't seen every minute they played last season?
When a new player signs one looks at the trajectory of their career, previous games they've seen those players in, sometimes against Argyle, sometimes on telly, on the opinions of fans of the clubs that they are leaving...of course I've got foundation to say i don't really rate our signings. I don't even see you acknowledge that I think Spencer has been surprisingly very positive out of the new signings.

I've been excited by past signings based on their playing careers elsewhere, are you saying I had 'no foundation' to be positive when we signed McHugh who was highly rated by Bradford and who I'd seen play very well for them?

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
What don't you understand ? You can say what you want , it's a discussion site , that's why i'm saying what i want , which in case you haven't realised is that i disagree with you . Who in our team do you rate anyway , do we have any decent players in your opinion ?

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
DartingtonPilgrim":75vdurrw said:
What don't you understand ? You can say what you want , it's a discussion site , that's why i'm saying what i want , which in case you haven't realised is that i disagree with you . Who in our team do you rate anyway , do we have any decent players in your opinion ?

Spencer. Carey. McCormick (to a degree). Threlkeld. Purrington. Rooney.

I do think we've lost some very good ones, based very much on seeing them play for Argyle

Your logic seems to be that no-one can have a negative opinion on a player coming into the club because there simply must be 'no foundation to that opinion'

Mar 14, 2009
up_the_line":pfr5nqcq said:
DartingtonPilgrim":pfr5nqcq said:

So lets get this right. You rate Purrington and Rooney. One who has had a lot of varied performances but only played a handful of games over the past two seasons and the other who has hardly established himself in our first team squad, let alone the first team.

You rate theses two based on what? Rooney especially has only had one full first team game against a side who were on their holidays early. :doh:

Yet other players you can dismiss so easily ..... very strange logic.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Great, now most of the players signed , 12 of the 13 have played either in the Scottish Premier League where Carey was before he came down South or League 2 and above , which suggests to me they are or have been good enough to play in League 2 . I personally think we will have a good season , you appear to think we won't , guess we'll soon start finding out won't we .

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Metal_Green_Mickey":372ed346 said:
up_the_line":372ed346 said:
DartingtonPilgrim":372ed346 said:

So lets get this right. You rate Purrington and Rooney. One who has had a lot of varied performances but only played a handful of games over the past two seasons and the other who has hardly established in our first team squad, let alone the first time.

You rate theses two based on what? Rooney especially has only had one full first team game against a side who were on their holidays early. :doh:

Purrington has been good in most of the games I've seen him in, including destroying Fleetwood away and being superb on debut at Port Vale.
I rate Rooney on the glimpses I've seen of him and his progression behind the scenes at our club.
I've seen enough of some of our new signings both before they signed and since to be distinctly unimpressed. The others (Bulvitis, ijaha) have careers at such insignificant clubs to make me sceptical that somehow they've just been overlooked by the rest of the football world and reserve the right to believe that they are cheap options who have bitten our hand off in utter surprise

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
DartingtonPilgrim":1p2l4jox said:
Great, now most of the players signed , 12 of the 13 have played either in the Scottish Premier League where Carey was before he came down South or League 2 and above , which suggests to me they are or have been good enough to play in League 2 . I personally think we will have a good season , you appear to think we won't , guess we'll soon start finding out won't we .

Lee Cox played in the Scottish premier league apparently he's not good enough. Jordan Forster played in the Scottish premier league and he looked like he was running with a soiled nappy. Lee Makel played in the Scottish premier league. Greg Wylde did. You're asking me to be impressed that these players have played in the almighty Scottish premier league, which McHugh has apparently taken a pay cut to play in....I'm actually more concerned about them playing in that league.
If it wasn't for celtic then the average attendance for Scottish premier league would have been less than ours last season.

P.s. Steven Milne.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Oh UTL , you don't have to be impressed by them, perhaps , just maybe you could have a tiny little bit of belief that they might just be good enough to follow in the footsteps of the leg ends , Nelson , McHugh and Reid , a tall order i know , but who knows a little bit of belief could be all that it needs .

Mar 14, 2009
up_the_line":3cc9dhr4 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":3cc9dhr4 said:
up_the_line":3cc9dhr4 said:
DartingtonPilgrim":3cc9dhr4 said:

So lets get this right. You rate Purrington and Rooney. One who has had a lot of varied performances but only played a handful of games over the past two seasons and the other who has hardly established in our first team squad, let alone the first time.

Purrington has been good in most of the games I've seen him in, including destroying Fleetwood away and being superb on debut at Port Vale.
I rate Rooney on the glimpses I've seen of him and his progression behind the scenes at our club.
I've seen enough of some of our new signings both before they signed and since to be distinctly unimpressed. The others (Bulvitis, ijaha) have careers at such insignificant clubs to make me sceptical that somehow they've just been overlooked by the rest of the football world and reserve the right to believe that they are cheap options who have bitten our hand off in utter surprise

Nope, still not getting it.

Rooney you go on glimpses. So you seen his progression behind the scenes? Your on the coaching staff?

Purrington you talk about two matches that happened two seasons ago. So where were these impressive performances last season to back them up?

You talk about players you have seen when they weren't at the club. So you seen them live in the flesh a number of times over? I'm not talking once or twice.... Are you now doing some kind of scouting job?

You talk about the cheap people who don't make it. Friio and Larrieu are prime examples of people eventually finding their feet at a football club after having very ordinary starts to their career. Look at Brunt. Totally discarded by Rovers and he had a decent season before he got injured.

Sceptical is one thing UTL. I'm sceptical we wont have as good a season as last year.

However, I'm not going to write players off based on one or two moments I've seen them in meaningless pre-season friendly games. You seem to have overnight become a coach and a scout but you done this by seemingly having brief encounters of players.

If you said some of what you do after 20 games your argument could be understood better. However, you seem to give some players the benefit after a handful of games with no proven track record or evidence to say they are going to have a good season this year and others you dismiss after equal amount of time, yet they have done more in the game than Purrington or Rooney combined !!

May 17, 2012
Back to the game...my first view of the new squad. First half we were surprised at the pace and temp Weymouth played at - they were impressive on the break but lacked a final ball. Miller caught out time and again for pace and looks solid but no more. First half midfield shape was chaos. Fox with some nice touches but smith and Donaldson did not know how to play in a 3. Smith lucky to stay on with lots of mistimed fouls. Rooney stand out endeavour first half. Second half we started more brightly with smith wide left where he played much better with Gaz. Bradley is tall and appears quick. Luke's double save was the highlight of the game for argyle. Mention for songoo who looks like a favourite in the making, loves a tackle, can pass and is feisty - bit unlucky with the penno. All in all a good workout- Weymouth a pain to get to but nice fans and ground