Brief Synopsis!!! (Weymouth) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Weymouth)

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Metal_Green_Mickey":1fwd9aq8 said:
up_the_line":1fwd9aq8 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1fwd9aq8 said:
up_the_line":1fwd9aq8 said:
DartingtonPilgrim":1fwd9aq8 said:
What don't you understand ? You can say what you want , it's a discussion site , that's why i'm saying what i want , which in case you haven't realised is that i disagree with you . Who in our team do you rate anyway , do we have any decent players in your opinion ?

Spencer. Carey. McCormick (to a degree). Threlkeld. Purrington. Rooney.

So lets get this right. You rate Purrington and Rooney. One who has had a lot of varied performances but only played a handful of games over the past two seasons and the other who has hardly established in our first team squad, let alone the first time.

You rate theses two based on what? Rooney especially has only had one full first team game against a side who were on their holidays early. :doh:

Purrington has been good in most of the games I've seen him in, including destroying Fleetwood away and being superb on debut at Port Vale.
I rate Rooney on the glimpses I've seen of him and his progression behind the scenes at our club.
I've seen enough of some of our new signings both before they signed and since to be distinctly unimpressed. The others (Bulvitis, ijaha) have careers at such insignificant clubs to make me sceptical that somehow they've just been overlooked by the rest of the football world and reserve the right to believe that they are cheap options who have bitten our hand off in utter surprise

Nope, still not getting it.

Rooney you go on glimpses. So you seen his progression behind the scenes? Your on the coaching staff?

Purrington you talk about two matches that happened two seasons ago. So where were these impressive performances last season to back them up?

You talk about players you have seen when they weren't at the club. So you seen them live in the flesh a number of times over? I'm not talking once or twice.... Are you now doing some kind of scouting job?

You talk about the cheap people who don't make it. Friio and Larrieu are prime examples of people eventually finding their feet at a football club after having very ordinary starts to their career. Look at Brunt. Totally discarded by Rovers and he had a decent season before he got injured.

Sceptical is one thing UTL. I'm sceptical we wont have as good a season as last year.

However, I'm not going to write players off based on one or two moments I've seen them in meaningless pre-season friendly games. You seem to have overnight become a coach and a scout but you done this by seemingly having brief encounters of players.

If you said some of what you do after 20 games your argument could be understood better. However, you seem to give some players the benefit after a handful of games with no proven track record or evidence to say they are going to have a good season this year and others you dismiss after equal amount of time, yet they have done more in the game than Purrington or Rooney combined !!

You say you're sceptical that we'll have a good season. Presumably that's an opinion based on the players we've signed. You then say we can't judge the players we've signed until we see them play. Work that one out

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Funny old game isn't it , i don't feel any scepticism at all , i think we'll go up this season , automatically , not because i have any great knowledge of our new signings , more because i have faith in Derek Adams , a manager that has a little over 50% win ratio from his 1st season in charge at Argyle , i trust his judgement on the players he has signed and look forward to seeing them in competitive action.

Mar 14, 2009
up_the_line":2jilcfe7 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2jilcfe7 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2jilcfe7 said:
DartingtonPilgrim":2jilcfe7 said:
What don't you understand ? You can say what you want , it's a discussion site , that's why i'm saying what i want , which in case you haven't realised is that i disagree with you . Who in our team do you rate anyway , do we have any decent players in your opinion ?

Spencer. Carey. McCormick (to a degree). Threlkeld. Purrington. Rooney.

So lets get this right. You rate Purrington and Rooney. One who has had a lot of varied performances but only played a handful of games over the past two seasons and the other who has hardly established in our first team squad, let alone the first time.

You rate theses two based on what? Rooney especially has only had one full first team game against a side who were on their holidays early. :doh:

Purrington has been good in most of the games I've seen him in, including destroying Fleetwood away and being superb on debut at Port Vale.
I rate Rooney on the glimpses I've seen of him and his progression behind the scenes at our club.
I've seen enough of some of our new signings both before they signed and since to be distinctly unimpressed. The others (Bulvitis, ijaha) have careers at such insignificant clubs to make me sceptical that somehow they've just been overlooked by the rest of the football world and reserve the right to believe that they are cheap options who have bitten our hand off in utter surprise

Nope, still not getting it.

Rooney you go on glimpses. So you seen his progression behind the scenes? Your on the coaching staff?

Purrington you talk about two matches that happened two seasons ago. So where were these impressive performances last season to back them up?

You talk about players you have seen when they weren't at the club. So you seen them live in the flesh a number of times over? I'm not talking once or twice.... Are you now doing some kind of scouting job?

You talk about the cheap people who don't make it. Friio and Larrieu are prime examples of people eventually finding their feet at a football club after having very ordinary starts to their career. Look at Brunt. Totally discarded by Rovers and he had a decent season before he got injured.

Sceptical is one thing UTL. I'm sceptical we wont have as good a season as last year.

However, I'm not going to write players off based on one or two moments I've seen them in meaningless pre-season friendly games. You seem to have overnight become a coach and a scout but you done this by seemingly having brief encounters of players.

If you said some of what you do after 20 games your argument could be understood better. However, you seem to give some players the benefit after a handful of games with no proven track record or evidence to say they are going to have a good season this year and others you dismiss after equal amount of time, yet they have done more in the game than Purrington or Rooney combined !!

You say you're sceptical that we'll have a good season. Presumably that's an opinion based on the players we've signed. You then say we can't judge the players we've signed until we see them play. Work that one out

No, I said I'm sceptical not that we will have a good season, but that we will have a good as season as last year.

Sceptical, not because I'm judging how great or bad the current squad is. My scepticism comes from that we have signed not only a completely new team, but a new squad. It takes time to gel. More than just a pre-season. I think Argyle will have a poor start to the season because of this but by around 15-20 games in I expect us to have improved as a team. However, by this time I think we will be playing catch up to other teams in our league.

I'm willing to be patience and wait and see what the players are like. Willing to give them time. We all want promotion, but its not this crop of players fault we haven't achieved it. Yet you and a few others will be bashing them if the season doesn't start well because of your impatience to get out of league two. I think that's unfair to level that on the current squad.

Mar 14, 2009
DartingtonPilgrim":1bxtp3e0 said:
Funny old game isn't it , i don't feel any scepticism at all , i think we'll go up this season , automatically , not because i have any great knowledge of our new signings , more because i have faith in Derek Adams , a manager that has a little over 50% win ratio from his 1st season in charge at Argyle , i trust his judgement on the players he has signed and look forward to seeing them in competitive action.

I was pretty positive last year but then we had a core of players to work with who I didn't think would bottle it.

However, a new brand new squad of players takes time to gel. Longer than 6 weeks I feel. So I think we will have a stronger end to the football campaign but will be having to make a late surge for the playoffs.

Totally agree with what you say about DA. The only thing this season I would like to see is if we play badly, it actually doesn't try to tell the fans we played well. I find that a little annoying. Yet its one small thing he does out of the many good things he does.

Sep 6, 2006
DartingtonPilgrim":cwm76ek6 said:
Great, now most of the players signed , 12 of the 13 have played either in the Scottish Premier League where Carey was before he came down South or League 2 and above , which suggests to me they are or have been good enough to play in League 2 . I personally think we will have a good season , you appear to think we won't , guess we'll soon start finding out won't we .

We don't need players good enough for League 2. We need zLeague 1 players!

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Well BG , we're currently in League 2 so as a minimum we need capable League 2 players , if some of them like Carey prove to be very good in League 2 , we should be in and around the promotion places .

Sep 6, 2006
DartingtonPilgrim":19ac33w4 said:
Well BG , we're currently in League 2 so as a minimum we need capable League 2 players , if some of them like Carey prove to be very good in League 2 , we should be in and around the promotion places .

Carey's not a zLeague 2 player though is he? Lets hope we have a few o his ilk rather than league 2 players.

Apr 13, 2016
Christ almighty. It's preseason. there is a definite need of plastic bed sheets for some posters here!

Apr 13, 2016
Bedwetter!
A pre season game is about fitness and working towards that opening game and nothing more.scores are so misleading.
To write your team off as some have here over a single game result is flabbergasting. Pasoti is recognised by Pompey online to be in the main. Knowledgeable but the meltdown some are portraying is being viewed as nothing less than bedwetting.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Balham_Green":3jxs0qqb said:
DartingtonPilgrim":3jxs0qqb said:

Carey's not a zLeague 2 player though is he? Lets hope we have a few o his ilk rather than league 2 players.

He was last season and he will be at the beginning of this season unless we sell him.

Sep 6, 2006
Knarf Reprah":3cwmdquf said:
Nah preseason is an excuse for little children like BG to wind us all up

You show me where I have written us off. Show the quotes. You won't be able to. I'm waiting. Get your facts right before making statements because its you who looks childish. You are a good example of someone who never grows up despite their age.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":3emmu0po said:
DartingtonPilgrim":3emmu0po said:

I was pretty positive last year but then we had a core of players to work with who I didn't think would bottle it.

However, a new brand new squad of players takes time to gel. Longer than 6 weeks I feel. So I think we will have a stronger end to the football campaign but will be having to make a late surge for the playoffs.

Totally agree with what you say about DA. The only thing this season I would like to see is if we play badly, it actually doesn't try to tell the fans we played well. I find that a little annoying. Yet its one small thing he does out of the many good things he does.

I agree. Getting us playing as a team will take time purely down to the number of changes.
We may be lucky and get off to a flyer but we certainly cant afford to be too far off the pace by xmas and rely on a fantastic unbeaten run in because that's when the pressure is on.
Last year we got found out and also bottled it. DA has to learn from this and make sure there is no repeat.

Also agree that statements saying we were the better team, were unlucky, OVERachieved ????? etc are sometimes appropriate for morale and confidence but not continually when its clear to all in some games we were dreadfully poor and UNDERachieved.

Last year I was optimistic of PROMOTION this year I think we are more likely to be 10th but here is hoping I'm massively wrong and we romp away with it

May 16, 2016
Balham_Green":3jfdov0b said:
DartingtonPilgrim":3jfdov0b said:
Great, now most of the players signed , 12 of the 13 have played either in the Scottish Premier League where Carey was before he came down South or League 2 and above , which suggests to me they are or have been good enough to play in League 2 . I personally think we will have a good season , you appear to think we won't , guess we'll soon start finding out won't we .

We don't need players good enough for League 2. We need zLeague 1 players!

I think you'll find they're playing in League 1. We will be playing in League 2. Not sure if it's you who bangs on about Neil Warnock, but when he took over he said you buy the players to get you out of the League you're in and that Players play for Managers.