Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

B

Burdo

Poorest performance of a very inconsistent season. Awful from the start, poor tactics and formation again from Sheridan. Will he blame the players again, time to put his own hand up !

Blanchard a disgrace. Awful performance from the officials.

We just can't perform at home when we need to.

Certainly a match to forget, together with the Exeter game.

Time for a clear out in the Summer.

Apr 30, 2011
PL2 3DQ":k1smvb2t said:
Everything fell apart in this game and after that poor performance we don't deserve to be in with a chance of the play-offs and yet amazingly upon amazingly we still have a slight chance courtesy of other results.

We started really badly, Oxford despite their recent run of defeats, were more up for the game than we were.
We were lethargic, we gave the ball away, there was no pressure on the Oxford defence and there was no urgency.

The one time we put a move together Thomas was through on goal but the linesman pulled him back for an offside decision but everyone in the stadium could see he was on-side.
The linesman was then given ironic cheers throughout the game whenever he got a decision correct while he responded by making hand gestures behind his back aimed at the fans sat behind hm in the Lyndhurst.

The ref was also poor and gave most decisions to Oxford although Blanchard deserved his second yellow and subsequent red card, it was very poor from him, he didn't need to pull back the Oxford striker especially when already sitting on a yellow. Although Blanchard didn't deserve his first yellow card, it was a poor decision from the ref.

That said, the awful display from the officials shouldn't detract from our poor performance.

The Oxford goal was a long time coming and when it did there was no surprise.
They should have added more but missed a sitter from close range.

Thomas had a header cleared off the line when he really sure have buried the chance from six yards out.

We didn't really start the second half with much more urgency than the first, we still looked disjointed and poor old Nelson still had to play left-back and left sided centre-back.

Blanchard then got his booking and it was game and most likely season over.

The subs were ready to come on just before Blanchard was sent-off, a rare early move from Sheridan. The red card changed his thinking and the subs sat down although we did briefly rally and started attacking Oxford so that might have also affected his thinking.

When the subs did arrive it was Blizzard for Wotton which was a waste of a sub, surely Banton would have been a better option?

The second goal killed us off and we looked a beaten team.

We now have to make up five points (because our GD is so poor) in four games, a tall order but not impossible.

Only Reid, Gurrieri, Nelson and possibly Alessandra can come out of this with any credit, too many players lacked the fight and urgency for a game of this importance, Oxford simply wanted it more.

Harvey was completely lost in midfield and totally different to how he played against Newport.
Thomas flattered to deceive and bottled any 50/50 challenges but did put in some good crosses. He didn't play as a wing-back, more as a winger. I wouldn't want him on my side in a relegation fight, the perils of signing players on short contracts with an eye on pastures new for next season.

Showunmi didn't have an influence on the game like he did at Newport, both he and Reid were regularly man-handled by the defenders but were never going to get a free-kick with Mick Russell in charge.

Cole still fails to command his goal line let alone his six yard box.

The space behind the wing-backs is our Achilles heel, all opposition managers know it and today was no different. Sheridan was tactically outwitted but it's swings and roundabouts because he got his tactics spot on against Newport.

It could have all been so different if we started with a good momentum. Plain and simple we are an inconsistent team with an inconsistent manager.

Thanks Postey - always value your input on the just back threads.

Nov 5, 2011
I personally don't think that was a spineless performance, in the second half there was 100% more graft and effort on display that vs Exeter. They just were second best all over, but most importantly for me, NOT for the want of trying.

I did however think that Berry should have been on at HT, I like Gurrieri but he's not a wing back and was only standing in due to our first choice being out. Berry is far better equipped for that position and should have been straight back in when fit. First half from Gurrieri was dire, and I also think Wotton is becoming a liability, I know he is the organizer but I hold my breath every time he gets the ball at his feet now, distribution non existent.

Mention for Hourihane though, I thought he kept going well in the second half and put some great tackles in and also was trying to get us up the pitch with some forward thinking passes. Just not enough quality today.

Jun 18, 2006
We have a tactically inept manager with players who don't look like they have a passion to play for him, no idea and no heart would sum it up for me! The sooner Sheridan goes the better.

Jul 11, 2011
Il Keep it brief:

4-4-2

Have guts to change formation that is clearly not working (in that game anyway and also Exeter)

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Well that really was just a pile of amateur bullpoo wasn't it?

You could tell from the first 10 minutes we were just gonna be poo and let them pee all over us, how often did Oxford play a direct pass along the floor and all our players just stood there and watch the ball float past them into an Oxford player's feet? Pure school boy stuff with no one having the bollocks to stick a foot in.

Oxford were there for the taking given their recent form and we gave them all the respect in the world by constantly peeing about, having no ideas, no drive or no will to win. We just seemed happy watching Oxford pass rings round us ended up giving them two soft goals, joke.

What on earth did Sheridan say at half time? You would hopefully think he would of been giving them the biggest bollocking of their careers but judging by how that second half performance mirrored the first you'd have the impression he didn't give them a team talk at all! As for Blanchard...what an idiot, I'm usually a big fan of him but why oh why did he do a pathetic thing such as that? I could of accepted it if we were at 0-0 or winning the game as he'd of been taking one for the team but when you're one down the last thing you need is a man down, you'd of thought being the intelligent guy that he is he wouldn't of chose to do such a brainless thing. Also makes you wonder if Sheridan will release him in the summer or not.

Another thing is why did we set up to counter attack at f*cking HOME? It's Oxford ffs not Bayern f*cking Munich!! Riles me how we just invite teams on to us and we deservedly get punished for it! I've been a fan of Sheridan from day one and still think he can take us up next season but if we can all see it why on earth can't he? Even when we were 2-0 down he changed nothing apart from bring on a defender for our most attacking player :facepalm: we need to ditch the 3-5-2 as teams are punishing us and go back to 4-4-2 with Thomas and Gurrieri on the wings with Berry and Parsons/Purrington as full backs.

And how is Dominic Blizzard a professional footballer? Anyone see that simple pass he had to made and he completely scuffed it out of play? I had to laugh or else I'd of cried. Bring back Lee Cox in the summer please Sheridan.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Mention for Hourihane though, I thought he kept going well in the second half and put some great tackles in and also was trying to get us up the pitch with some forward thinking passes. Just not enough quality today.
Agreed, I think there's a real quality player lurking in him but he needs a half decent coach and play in a half decent footballing team to bring it out. Sadly he's never had that here and I fear we'll see him leave then become a star player elsewhere.

C

Cobi Budge.

My ratings:

Cole - 5 - He didn't have an awful lot to deal with apart from the goals, thanks to some superb Nelson & Berry defending. However I thought he could have come for the first or positioned himself better, just like at Stanley, he came running out then decided to retreat. Communication was poor but I get the feeling that was more Trotman's fault.

Gurrieri - 5 - I thought he had a very poor first half but got better in the second, great work rate as usual.

Blanchard - 6 - Up until the point he was sent off I think he was doing well, got us out of jail a few times. Pathetic decision to bring the player down though.

Trotman - 2 - STILL, I don't understand the rave about him. Is he deaf? Constantly getting in the way of other players (especially Cole) then blaming his team mates. Stood and watched as they scored their second.

Nelson - 7 - Not sure where we'd be without him.

Thomas - 4 - I felt for him, he could never get a high mark because he was fighting a loosing battle, I tend to rate players on how well they do in position, he's not a defender, Luggy said that on the radio today, listen to him!

Wotton - 2 - Goodness he was bad today.

Hourihane - 4 - Unpopular this one but, for once, I don't think he played well, aimless passing and he's suppose to be a captain.

Harvey - 6 - I didn't agree with the substitution at all, thought he was doing fine, creative as well.

Reid - 4 - Isolated, not great with the ball although a few decent runs.

Alessandra - 4 - Tried his best although you can tell he's not quite fit.

Blizzard - 2 - What a waste of a sub, slow, atrocious passing, surely Banton would have been the better option?

Showunmi - 3 - Bit of a lampost, didn't move, didn't win a single thing in the air.

Berry - 7 - We would have lost 4 0 if it wasn't for him, two sublime last ditch tackles.

Overall, a dreadful performance in my eyes.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
A very mediocre performance from Argyle today, whereas Oxford were very good. We were a tad unlucky as the first goal for Oxford could have been given for offside and Reid had a shot cleared off the line but Oxford are now the favourites for the Playoffs I would say.

Edit my personal highlight today was when the guy next to me shouted Bit Bloody Late, when the last sub game came on.lol.

Cole 9
Blanchard 5
Trotman 4
Nelson 5
Gurrieri 7
Thomas 9
Wotton 10
Hourihane 3
Harvey 9
Alessandra 10
Reid 8

Showunmi 4
Blizzard 4
Berry 10

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
We lose a game 2-0 at home and your dishing out 8's, 9's and 10's ?!?!?

Apr 1, 2009
r4h4al":1vt17c14 said:
A very mediocre performance from Argyle today, whereas Oxford were very good. We were a tad unlucky as the first goal for Oxford could have been given for offside and Reid had a shot cleared off the line but Oxford are now the favourites for the Playoffs I would say.

Cole 9
Blanchard 5
Trotman 4
Nelson 5
Gurrieri 7
Thomas 9
Wotton 10
Hourihane 3
Harvey 9
Alessandra 10
Reid 8

Showunmi 4
Blizzard 4
Berry 10

Are these marks out of 100?

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
r4h4al":fyd2qf34 said:

Cole 9
Blanchard 5
Trotman 4
Nelson 5
Gurrieri 7
Thomas 9
Wotton 10
Hourihane 3
Harvey 9
Alessandra 10
Reid 8

Showunmi 4
Blizzard 4
Berry 10

This is one of the most laughable posts in PASOTI history. Surely the favourites for the play-offs are the teams that are there now! Also bear in mind Oxford were bottom of the form table before today! Then, no Argyle player deserves higher than a 7! Cole was good but he conceded 2 for a start! Gurrieri couldn't control the ball, pass and defend to save his life and neither could Wotton! How, on earth, can you give them 7 and 10? And Harvey 9? The most he did was lose the ball and head the ball to yellow shirts. Thomas? Not bad but missed a sitter and was tackled; worth a 6 at best. Alessandra and Reid were good but, once again, not worth the ridiculous ratings you've given them!