Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I have just got in from my 100 mile round trip and at least I have chilled down now.

Oxford Utd played so well, that I thought they were in a higher league than Argyle. I really cannot understand their recent form, when they can turn in a performance so full of running as that.

I suspect the reason is that Argyle sadly allowed them to dominate the midfield, by basically playing a light weight midfield themselves. It needed more mobile men who would really get stuck in as ball winners, who when in possession, could successfully find a member of their own team going forward. In the end, the defence were lumping forward with little success. Admittedly the referee gave Reid no favours in his battle with Oxford's CB's but strangely after he had long words with complaining Reid and skipper Hourihane he did did blow once or twice in Argyle's favour.

The best team won on the day and JS can have no complaints as I am inclined to think he selected the wrong team against the opposition.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Another dire showing.Cole, Blanchard,Harvey, Thomas where do you stop.All put in dreadful performances......Great crowd as well.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i thought we were totally outplayed from start to finish by a much better team.i have no complaints.my ratings;
cole-2
blanchard-4
gurrieri-5
trotski-5
wotton-1
nelson-6
hourihane-0
alessandra-1
harvey-4
reid-9
thomas-2

Mar 23, 2008
Steve Evans":17s6omgw said:
i thought we were totally outplayed from start to finish by a much better team.i have no complaints.my ratings;
cole-2
blanchard-4
gurrieri-5
trotski-5
wotton-1
nelson-6
hourihane-0
alessandra-1
harvey-4
reid-9
thomas-2
Don't be so ridiculous, it was a dreadful TEAM performance. How can you give Reid 9 and Hourihane 0? That's just clearly biased and carries no credence.

Stevie Wotsa

✅ Evergreen
Nov 4, 2012
Devonport
it was a bad game today, i cannot for the life of me understand why the players just gave up with 20 minutes to go, I've never seen an argyle team that gave up so easily with 20 minutes to go,

It was as if, aw well we lost this one lads lets kick the ball around in midfield it was awful!

Really disappointed!

I seen more guts and determination when we were fighting relegation!

If we did have some more determination we might of got lucky!

Poor performance!

And one more thing, the game changed more when wotton came off, It wasnt so much the sending off that changed it, unless i was watching in rose tinted glasses.

Oct 24, 2010
Awful, couldn't string two passes together. By far the better team won. Our left side was a weakness all game, Thomas played in an advanced position which left Nelson playing left back and leaving space in the middle or playing narrow and leaving the spade outside him. It was a shambles particularly as, because our passing was so poor, we couldn't get Thomas in the game..

Mar 14, 2009
You cant keep blaming the players when poor tactics left us totally exposed.

Kitson seemed to play in a more withdrawn role, whilst Oxford played one upfront with two wide people exposing the space of not having full backs. Basically they did their homework, but what annoys me the most is that Argyle escaped after the first 20mins at 0-0 and yet Sheridan still did nothing.

It worries me he plays a winger, at wing-back, when it doesn't appear he can defend and played a midfield with players who aren't ball winners. He is stubborn and that is proven by the fact he wants to prove that Tyler Harvey can be converted to a Midfielder from a Forward.

Again to me the annoying fact is the manner of the lost. Not sure how many time I've said the same thing after home performances but the fact we cant pass and cross the ball is surely a sign of some bad coaching or we really do have terrible players!!

Most of the players today were just abysmal. Its OK Sheridan telling us that isn't good enough but can he actually change it between now and the start of the new season? Will he be able to get players of better quality into the club? Can he show signs/tactical awareness of playing a system that suits the players he brings in? I'm not convinced, but then would we be able to get in someone better? I'm not a fan of chopping and changing manager either as you do need time to build a team but I do believe the football needs to get better. So people might say the results are most important, yet surely we can play a much better style/brand of football than we currently offer.

C

chigreen

Shocking apart from Hourihane who in my eyes won a few tackles and played a couple of lovely passes. Gurieri was shocking first half. Berry should have started, played well and two goal saving tackles.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
At some point. - if we haven't already got there, the players will be aware that the manager has some serious issues. Surely everyone, players included, would have watched Thomas's performance today and said "hmmm, that wasn't a good plan". Others will have thought "was Blizzard what we needed at that point?" or "what did Enoch bring today?"

The manager's losing credibility and that is not a good place to be even if we have to stick with him. Today reminded me of games under Williamson - I have no idea what Sheridan thought he was doing!!

I foresee 6 - 9 months of farce, a poor start to next season, a prolonged hesitation by Brent and another uncompetitive season. Another 2 seasons in this dire division at least - it's enough to consider whether buying season tickets are worth it. Perhaps the lack of interest will get through to the man in charge - eventually!!

8,200 for a 6 point promotion game? It's not working Brent - sort it out.

W

Wilfredo

r4h4al":jrt8ydzr said:
A very mediocre performance from Argyle today, whereas Oxford were very good. We were a tad unlucky as the first goal for Oxford could have been given for offside and Reid had a shot cleared off the line but Oxford are now the favourites for the Playoffs I would say.

Edit my personal highlight today was when the guy next to me shouted Bit Bloody Late, when the last sub game came on.lol.

Cole 9
Blanchard 5
Trotman 4
Nelson 5
Gurrieri 7
Thomas 9
Wotton 10
Hourihane 3
Harvey 9
Alessandra 10
Reid 8

Showunmi 4
Blizzard 4
Berry 10

Ok you win and Cobi is second, send me you address so I can you c*ck of the year award :funny:

Dec 3, 2005
Oxford had the ball - going forward, you had a swarm of players running in all directions towards the Argyle goal, asking - wanting the ball!!!

Argyle had the ball - going sideways and forward - you had no-one running off the ball, nothing for the guy with the ball to pass too, no player wanting the ball.

Owers fitness regime is not very good compared to Oxford's.

Better team won - better even before the sending off - which was stupid Mr Blanchard.

Dec 3, 2005
I couldn't understand the thinking when Blanchard was sent off - after 5 mins he brings on Blizzard and Showumni and puts Guierri at right back (where he did ok). Why not bring on Berry THEN?

Leave Guerri in midfield?

Strange decisions in my eyes