Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Sep 23, 2005
xmastree":654un0tv said:
jollygreenjohn":654un0tv said:
The Doctor":654un0tv said:
Anyone else notice (not for the first time) that Conor Hourihane started to play much, much better as soon as Paul Wotton was taken off? I don't think it is any coincidence. In fact for most of the team it must be pretty irritating having Wotton there pointing fingers and blaming them every time something goes wrong (including Wotton himself misplacing passes, losing the ball, not tracking opposition players).
Nothing to do with Wotton, when Berry came on Gurrieri went left and filled the gaping hole behind Thomas and thus releasing Hourihane from that position to his usual role.
Both Gurrieri and Hourihane improved.

Gurrieri was essentially playing two roles in the final period, covering the whole of the left hand side. He played a lot better in this spell than earlier in the game at RWB.

Yep with you on that.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Dire performance. Absolutely overran from minute one. They jogged through our midfield and exploited all the space down our left hand side. Hourihane and Wotton weren't nearly fluid enough compared to how they were on Tuesday at Newport. Hourihane didn't get out left nearly enough and Wotton didn't drop back enough to cover Nelson who was playing two positions. Tactically we were absolutely all over the shop. Oxford on the other hand started like a train and we were lucky not to be already behind by the time they scored. It really could have been 5-0. There were times when we looked bright on the break- if only Thomas had scored that first half header for example. But on the whole we can have absolutely no complaints. If anything 2-0 flattered us. Few individual players had what I would call absolutely stinkingly awful games- but as a unit we were a shambles and no-one was really good either. The well-drilled, professional if not attractive outfit that we saw at Newport on Tuesday descended into absolute jelly who Oxford really ought to have demolished by a higher scoreline. Load of crap:

Cole-6. Made two excellent saves at 0-0 but also flapped a lot and made some silly decisions.

Blanchard-5. Was alright before the sending off. A couple of his trademark six yard box challenges which could have saved us from conceding. Idiotic red card to get though and the 3rd of his Argyle career.
Trotman-6. You seem to get the same game every week from him. A couple of dominant header/saving tackles when we're under pressure which is obviously a good thing. However, mentally his ability to concentrate and stay aware of where his attackers were in relation to him was as haphazard as it ever is. He'd be on my list to shift this summer.
Nelson-5. Perhaps a harsh mark as he had to play two positions. He's partly got other players around him to blame for making him play such a stretched role but he still didn't play it particularly well imo. Should have done more to tighten the space that they had on the left-hand side. It was Wotton's look out to cover the centre which he did dreadfully.

Gurrieri-3. Absolute mare. I think he's had quite a good season but he still has a game like this occasionally where he runs around so much and literally nothing he tries to do with his feet ever actually works. You'll always get enthusiasm from him and his end product is better than it was but today he epitomised headless chicken.
Wotton-3. Vying with Gurrieri for worst player of the day. A waste of player for most of the game. I don't normally like the line that he's past it but my god he looked it yesterday. Entirely static and powerless to prevent the stem of Oxford players flowing through our midfield. Crap game.
Hourihane-6. Meh. Poor first half in which, as I said, I don't think he covered anything like well enough. He picked up in the second half a lot going forward when we through caution to the wind. In fact he was probably our only good player of the second half getting a few good balls forward (albeit which nothing really came of when they reached our forwards). Still should be doing better than that performance though.
Thomas-5. Couldn't defend. Left a massive hole down the left. Looked pacey on the counter but even going forward, that enthusiasm was hampered by his atrocious finish with that header in front of the Devonport End that would have equalised it. Lively but not the best end product possible and was damaging defensively.

Reid-4. A game of two halves and a game of two Reid's. The first half he showed signs of the hustler and bustler who would get his body in the way of defenders and win most long balls that came up to him on the counter. The second half he was so quiet and out of things I literally can't remember him doing a thing.
Alessandra-6. Probably the best of the starting players. Even when the rest were all playing awfully there were still flickers of the Alessandra that we saw in January-March when he got his head down and ran with the ball. However I suspect still not quite 100% fit- he wasn't quite ready to absolutely have centre-backs on toast like he did before his injury. A lot of his good runs with the ball ultimately came to nothing. Signs of promise were there though and he didn't wilt under the pressure.

Showumni-3. Like Reid, I just can't remember him getting involved much at all. Jekyll and hyde player. Can be a real menace on his day and useless when it's not his day.
Berry-6 MOTM. Only man of the match because of the awfulness of the other players. He may not have played for long but I can't think of anyone else who would have been remotely deserving of the award without it being a laughing stock. Two excellent tackles and he looked focused throughout and knew what he was meant to be doing-more than most did.
Blizzard-3. How on earth did he play so many times in League One. Utterly useless- probably the single slowest player I have ever seen. I reckon you could give him a 5 yard headstart and he still wouldn't win a loose ball which is what defensive midfielders need to be doing.

The fat lady is testing her mic but due to other results she hasn't quite sung yet. I think in typical inconsistent fashion this season we'll beat Bury to get us all excited again but then fluff it up against Wimbledon.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Don't get the negativity towards Wotton he was playing a DM role and he did all he could in that role. He worked really hard (as usual) and of course is a legend. But I guess its a game of opinions!

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
r4h4al":17vp47ue said:
Don't get the negativity towards Wotton he was playing a DM role and he did all he could in that role. He worked really hard (as usual) and of course is a legend. But I guess its a game of opinions!

Because he was useless! What did he do right? I can recall him making several of the poorest, most predictable passes ever. They'd travel a couple of metres before an Oxford player would intercept and say 'thank you very much'. Then, he didn't really defend at all. He'd just chase a player that was much faster than him. Genuinely, a '5' rating would be generous, never mind the 10 you gave him earlier!

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
soccerpilgrim":13sgxsn8 said:
r4h4al":13sgxsn8 said:

Because he was useless! What did he do right? I can recall him making several of the poorest, most predictable passes ever. They'd travel a couple of metres before an Oxford player would intercept and say 'thank you very much'. Then, he didn't really defend at all. He'd just chase a player that was much faster than him. Genuinely, a '5' rating would be generous, never mind the 10 you gave him earlier!
Agreed. And he let me run through the midfield without tracking them or covering for Nelson. He looked shot pretty much all game long.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
GreenSam":1usazofr said:
soccerpilgrim":1usazofr said:
r4h4al":1usazofr said:

Agreed. And he let me run through the midfield without tracking them or covering for Nelson. He looked shot pretty much all game long.
How come you weren't fined for being on the field Sam? (Just trying to bring a bit of cheer after a sad day!)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Match highlights.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3fkSxv_CYM

What a miss from Thomas, he should have buried that header, a pity it wasn't Reid on the end of Alessandra's cross. Thomas also missed a header for Oxford's first goal although to be fair a player like him shouldn't be put in that position at the back post when defending a free-kick.

C

Cobi Budge.

I must be one of the only people who thought Harvey did quite well, looked comfortable in the middle and aware of what's around him.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
PL2 3DQ":39j2xn4l said:
Match highlights.....

What a miss from Thomas, he should have buried that header, a pity it wasn't Reid on the end of Alessandra's cross. Thomas also missed a header for Oxford's first goal although to be fair a player like him shouldn't be put in that position at the back post when defending a free-kick.

Pl2 3 DQ...hold on there. you could also say what an awful miss from the oxford player who missed an open goal with a header from about 1 yard...........Should have also played with a decent left back from the start. Berry could have started there but no,sheridan decided against it. The buck stops with Sheridan on this one.

C

Cobi Budge.

1. No idea what the defence is doing for their first goal, Trotman, Blanchard & Gurrieri all motionless.

2. Really poor miss from Thomas, that's a sitter from a wonderful cross.

3. On second viewing the Blanchard sending off looks soft, what a dive.

4. Their goal came from Shownumi pointlessly giving away possession, while Trotman just lazily watched the Oxford striker score. He has to be replaced.

A very bad day at the office, very bad.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":10gqlmbt said:
I must be one of the only people who thought Harvey did quite well, looked comfortable in the middle and aware of what's around him.
On the ball I agree he looked quite sharp especially early on- picking out some good passes too. However, on the ball is only part of what football's about. Off it we may as well have been playing an empty space there. He's got potential but also a lot of learning to do. That said, he was far better off the ball AND on it at Newport on Tuesday. He seemed drained for a lot of yesterday's match.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
1. Looks like it was Trotman's man, but he goes AWOL when the ball comes back across.

2. Yup, should have buried it. The cross was brilliant, the way he turned back onto his left foot and lofted the delivery reminded me of Norris' cross for Evans in 2004 v QPR.

3. Was soft, but stupid. Maxi deserved to be off for sheer stupidity.

4. Trotman has been responsible for 3 goals over the last week, I've really liked him over the season, but we could really do with a 2012 Darren Purse to lead and command the team.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Cobi Budge.":ekv29q23 said:

Im with you up to a point Cobi.

He can at least control the ball and play it into the path of attacking (?) teammates or to feet if that is required. He was certainly not the worst midfielder by a long shout. But at times the game past him by because Oxford worked their plan a lot better than we could muster, the net result being our players were being pulled out of position.

You could argue they didn't appear prepared for such an eventuality, but after Tuesday night, they should have expected what was coming from a better team.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
TC ..... oxford are a completely different kettle of fish to Newport. Harvey looked completely lost yesterday in midfield. You could say we were playing with 10 men even before Blanchard got sent off.