Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
If I was Banton I wouldn't have applauded, the bloke's taken quite a beating from the GA whenever he's played.

Even today, he'd done his time on the sidelines for some poor performances and with today being his return to action, a chance to prove himself and what does he return to? Fans taking the mick with us 3-0 up and supposedly in good spirits, a real chance for this young lad to grab a goal and boost his confidence and he was ridiculed.

The bloke sat near me for example, with Banton running at goal the crowd went silent in expectation, he decides to shout "he's going to slip! He's going to slip I know it!" I wouldn't be surprised if Banton heard it; the ground was quiet, the bloke was loud and voices do carry.

One day he'll turn it around, I just hope it doesn't happen at another club where the fans give him a chance...

Nov 4, 2012
greeneagle":1aw0axux said:
Best half of football Argyle have played in two years. Looked a real team with a real hunger. Long may if continue.

What was the game 2 years ago?

Dec 3, 2005
Great performance and great result.
Love the two new lads on loan - thankfully we have Reid for another month.

Well played lads - only disappointment was Smalley - nothing like has effective as last game, well he should have passed to Banton for sure.

Dec 3, 2005
Pottypilgrim":2jwzf8rn said:
Pasties and Cider":2jwzf8rn said:
He should have been played in by Smalley close to the end. He wasn't the only player not to applaud the fans but he was one of the few. But then, he was roundly booed last time he played.

This is what I think he was hacked off with and why he went straight down the tunnel in a huff.To be fair he played a nice early ball in for Smalley and then bust his gonads to get into a good scoring position only for Smalley to run into the defender. Even on Banton's current form it would have been hard to miss the goal if Smalley had just dropped it back. I'm Banton's biggest critic but even I felt for the guy. Suprised no-one has been slating Smalley for arguably not being a team player....

Oh I slated Smalley - nowhere near the standard the last time he came on the pitch - very disappointing - should have passed the ball to Banton.

This was the one where it all clicked. Everyone played well. Good at the back and going forward. Fifth clean sheet in a row. Things are looking up.

PLAYER RATINGS:
McCormick - 7 - Didn't have all that much to do but did it very well. A few great takes from crosses/corners.

Nelson - 7 - Pretty good, but still probably the weakest of our back three. Not bad by any stretch, but outwitted to a few balls and occasionally had to rely on his pace and physicality to bale him out as he did sometimes dally too much.
McHugh - 8 - A few little lapses in concentration aside, he was immense. Wins everything in the air. I think he's most like Branston/Trotman out of our current centre-backs, without as many drawbacks.
Hartley - 8 - A 'bit of everything' centre-half. Not quite as dominant aerially as McHugh but less clumsy with the ball at his feet. Not quite as physically gifted, or capable of charging forward with the ball, as Nelson - but better at positioning himself. Our best centre-back at reading the game and passing too. ACTUALLY SCORES OFF SET-PIECES! He's really good.

Mellor - 8 - You won't find a more complete full/wing-back at this level - tall, quick, good positionally, good in the air, technically able, excellent in possession AND offers flair and trickery. His only real weakness is that he's a little inconsistent/a confidence player but even that isn't really very noticeable at the moment: he's settled well after a shaky(ish) start. His little chop turn thing for Reid's goal was beautiful.
Bobby Reid - 9 (MotM) - I'm very surprised that he's not got many votes for MotM when I thought this was comfortably his best performance in a green shirt: in his other games he's got loads of votes. Seemed to operate the ball on a string to keep it away from defenders, and showed composure and creativity with his passing. Good set-piece delivery. Assist for Alessandra's goal was real take-the-breath-away stuff. Provided great energy on the defensive end too.
O'Connor - 8 - Provided the base on which our attacking performance was based. Squeezed the ball in the midfield, won it a lot and laid it off consistently well. A few interesting creative passes too.
Blizzard - 8 - He's a different player this season! Negotiates the ball about the midfield and keeps it moving. Pressed and defended unusually well too. The facilitator to Bobby Reid's 'creator' and O'Connor's 'destroyer'. Think I've pretty much completed my full 180 on him now.
Kellett - 8 - Very impressive home debut. Looks short and frail but isn't afraid to put a tackle in, and often comes out with the ball. Made a lot of interceptions. Stronger than he looks, and can jump. Quick and eager to support the attack: generally quite effective but did sometimes wait a bit too long before making a decision. A little Duracell bunny.

Reid - 8 - Great goal. Generally posed a menace with his complete range of skills: really don't think the Cheltenham centre-halves enjoyed playing against him.
Alessandra - 7 - Well-taken goal. Put a lot of effort in as usual, and did manage to go on a couple of signature slaloming runs but end product was a little inconsistent for me. Back amongst the goals, and seems to score when he's not having a great game elsewhere at the moment, which is encouraging.

SUBSTITUTES:
Smalley - 4 - Bleurgh.

Harvey - 5 - Played it safe, did what he had to do.

Banton - 6 - Sparky, but it's desperately obvious he NEEDS to add strength. Didn't see him not acknowledge the fans after the game - but if it was me, after Smalley missed a very easy square ball that everyone in the crowd saw, that would have provided a chance anyone should convert, then I'd be thoroughly p*ssed off too. Especially if I'd been frozen out of the team for the last few games and was desperate for a chance to impress. Especially if the fans seem to have double standards against me. It was only this pre-season that everyone was gushing about Banton's improved attitude. Now they're saying he should leave now. Sure, he should be playing better than he is, but incessantly criticising him (especially unfairly re. his attitude) isn't going to help anything. Some people just need to find someone to criticise even after we've won 3-0. It's like when Reuben 'needed to get his act together' after not scoring for two games.

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
I didnt go today. Just made me laugh with some off the comments. The other week he was utter rubbish. Just like all last season West Ham fans wanting Big Sam sacked. How manay West Ham fans saying that now? What im saying is, its a good job we havnt got a chairman who reads and acts on what the PASOTI crew think, like wise the West Ham chairman. The turn around has been fantastic. Didnt go today as im saving some money for a long weekend in London and England v Slovenia at Wembley.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
CornishPaul":2219ngcw said:
I didnt go today. Just made me laugh with some off the comments. The other week he was utter rubbish. Just like all last season West Ham fans wanting Big Sam sacked. How manay West Ham fans saying that now? What im saying is, its a good job we havnt got a chairman who reads and acts on what the PASOTI crew think, like wise the West Ham chairman. The turn around has been fantastic. Didnt go today as im saving some money for a long weekend in London and England v Slovenia at Wembley.

We couldn't see this coming. To be fair, I don't think anyone could - Sheridan persisted with bizzare tactics such as McHugh at LB, Banton out wide, we were shipping cheap goals... now we're not. We've got a balanced team, we're rock solid at the back and carry a goal threat.

Do I care that Sheridan's starting to prove me wrong? Not one jot. I'm bloody loving it.

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
Bloody delighted weve turned it around. Just hoping we can see our crowds improve now. Were still in the J P T and the F.A cup to come. Could be an exciting couple months.

Mar 23, 2008
Dan Ellard":2ce2b5s6 said:
CornishPaul":2ce2b5s6 said:

We couldn't see this coming. To be fair, I don't think anyone could - Sheridan persisted with bizzare tactics such as McHugh at LB, Banton out wide, we were shipping cheap goals... now we're not. We've got a balanced team, we're rock solid at the back and carry a goal threat.

Do I care that Sheridan's starting to prove me wrong? Not one jot. I'm bloody loving it.
Indeed to put it simply, Sheridan has sorted his shizzle out and is playing a formation to suit all the players, who therefore play better and we win, simples!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
We've all got to hope that Sheridan's stubbornness in sticking with players out of position in a formation that didn't suit his players earlier in the season doesn't cost us in the long term!!

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Tuesday warranted no excitement but perhaps today did. Shall take time for crowds because with such a weak board at the helm it's difficult to find scope for trust after bitten so many times in recent years, but Sheridan seems to have found his feet, needs to keep them. Sort Banton out, he's got the potential. Not at all convinced by Smalley, even as a bench option.

J

just_ste

Ollieargyle9":3ei5001q said:
If I was Banton I wouldn't have applauded, the bloke's taken quite a beating from the GA whenever he's played.

Even today, he'd done his time on the sidelines for some poor performances and with today being his return to action, a chance to prove himself and what does he return to? Fans taking the mick with us 3-0 up and supposedly in good spirits, a real chance for this young lad to grab a goal and boost his confidence and he was ridiculed.

The bloke sat near me for example, with Banton running at goal the crowd went silent in expectation, he decides to shout "he's going to slip! He's going to slip I know it!" I wouldn't be surprised if Banton heard it; the ground was quiet, the bloke was loud and voices do carry.

One day he'll turn it around, I just hope it doesn't happen at another club where the fans give him a chance...
Were do you sit? Cos I said something similar

J

just_ste

Excellent game again,finally Sheridan has got it right,although he is now doing things alot of us have been calling for,just wish he did it sooner
Its great to be enjoying going to Home Park again