Carl McHugh signs for Motherwell | Page 22 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Carl McHugh signs for Motherwell

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
lien60":36u1y21p said:
i blame the club for keeping us on a high knowing farewell that he was never going to sign for us.
The club statement is the direct opposite of your view "he was never going to sign for us." For all the club's faults, I don't think they can be blamed if a player and his agent have agreed terms (on a 2 year deal) and then have a late change of mind.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The club statement shows exactly how they and Adams feel about McWho. It has been repeated in Scotland, Ireland and many other media outlets so everyone knows exactly what McWho has done. It won't stop other clubs from signing him in future but this will stay with him for the rest of his career. He's now tainted.

He couldn't have been that committed to Argyle if he changed his mind over the weekend, we were his "any port in a storm" until Monday.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
I'm sure DA will have had a replacement lined up had he not signed... hopefully we haven't burnt that bridge and would predict a new centre mid signing in the coming days. I think we need an experienced head in that position.. someone late 20's/early 30's who's been there, seen it done it - we were missing that last season (see the efforts to sign Alan Smith).

Jul 6, 2005
IJN":35ue9xzg said:
Perhaps another way if looking at it is the players that 'came up short' are now leaving us, perhaps the new crop won't bottle it.
Definitely the way to view the McHugh fiasco.

Ditto Mellor, Wylde and maybe others.

Apr 17, 2013
Absolutely gutted. The first time I have had 'that sinking feeling' since Ian Holloway misled us. However , full faith in DA to fill the important hole that has been left.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
McHugh will just end up being another Scottish league player who was only known for finishing below Celtic and rangers.

Argyle is his loss more than it is ours.

He'll soon realise.

Mar 14, 2009
It seems weird that every piece of transfer business has been done very quietly. Even the people in the know seem to be less informed than normal about "incomings". Every signing, there have been a few hints but mostly things kept under wraps.

Then all of a sudden Argyle announce that McHugh is poised to sign. Yet they haven't done this with any transfer under Adams that I can remember. It doesn't make sense. Why would you change your policy? It seems there has more more going on than we will ever find out. Yet when the announcement was made McHugh was poised to resign who was it going to favour? It wasn't Argyle because they wouldn't want other clubs hijacking the deal last minute. So it must of happened for McHugh and his agents benefit and Argyle got tricked.

Sad ending of a club career with us for a very decent player. Shame he couldn't just be upfront. As a fan you would give more respect to players when they leave if this happened.

Aug 2, 2011
Do not blame him for steppong up a level - although that is questionable, Scottish football is hardly the pinnacle of quality. However to verbally commit (assumming that is what he did) and then to renegade on his word at the last moment just shows him in his true colours. Unreliable and deceitful now I know the nature of the man I am glad he has gone.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Disappointing news but the chance to play against Rangers & Celtic trumps Accrington & Exeter. Clubs dump players when they don't want them, why should players be any different?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Has McWho left Motherwell yet and signed for another club?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Do you really think that thought entered his head Mike? All about the money, I don't blame him but he doesn't come away with any credit in the manner with which it's been done. It's clear we were his "option B" and therefore I'm glad he's gone. Like others have said, he went missing at Wembley in a position that Adams had converted him to. He's a poor left-back, an average centre-half (but can only play in a 3) and a reasonable defensive mid but he's not outstanding and is replaceable.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Mark Pedlar":1jv2ijzv said:
Do you really think that thought entered his head Mike? All about the money, I don't blame him but he doesn't come away with any credit in the manner with which it's been done. It's clear we were his "option B" and therefore I'm glad he's gone. Like others have said, he went missing at Wembley in a position that Adams had converted him to. He's a poor left-back, an average centre-half (but can only play in a 3) and a reasonable defensive mid but he's not outstanding and is replaceable.
Motherwell have an altogether classier former Argyle man on their books - classier on the field and classier in the way he conducted himself when he left HP. I speak of Keith Lasley who along with Doumbe was a Williamson signing that I was sorry to see go. He will be 37 in September but signed a fresh one year deal in June this year and is close to 500 senior appearances, embracing two spells at Fir Park and his time at Home Park. I doubt McHugh will be making a fortune out of the move as all the existing Motherwell players who signed new deals this summer had to agree to a pay-cut.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Guess he just did not want to be at Argyle so best that he moves on.His form since Xmas has been indifferent and as stated before he went missing at Wembley like the rest of the team

Cannot believe that his contract was significantly better but who knows,as was reading an article recently showing how little money there is in Scottish football

At the end of the day,whilst the spine of the team may have moved on,as DA said they failed over the last two seasons as promotion was not achieved