David Norris (coming back?) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

David Norris (coming back?)

Nov 22, 2006
Don't think he means literally, I think its a reference to the fact that David Norris (supposedly) made it very clear to the club that he had no interest in staying once a bigger club came calling just before he left

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
That was to do with Stapleton promising him one thing and Holloway promising him another i recall.

Anyway, water under the bridge. He supported the brilliantly when im administration, one of the few players to do so.

Nov 16, 2006
Anyone who thinks we're getting what we all remember from many years ago will obviously be disappointed, but if he is keen and proves his fitness in pre-season, this could be a solid signing.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Would be another good signing. You can't win anything with kids *coughs* afterall! Seriously tho, a good mix of experience and youth is key to the league. The old heads keep everything knitted together while the young legs try to express themselves a bit. Norris is bordering on legend status here too. 2 years of him keeping the midfield ticking over.... Happy with that. We'll be out of this league by then anyway

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
DA mentioned building the link between the club, team and supporters, signing Norris would be another step on this path.

C

Cobi Budge.

Mark Pedlar":1l4o7l2k said:
DA mentioned building the link between the club, team and supporters, signing Norris would be another step on this path.

Absolutely.

A

ArgyleMatty1991

Mark Pedlar":sbfay2i6 said:

Couldn't agree more.

Apr 1, 2009
Just feel that those posters with a nostalgic leaning are searching for any excuse to justify the signing of DN. Yes, he supported the club during administration and, yes, his signing would reach out to many fans disgruntled by the detachment suffered during the Sheridan era. There's no doubt that signing Norris would be popular amongst many who recall his immense efforts in a previous era. However, he shouldn't be signed because he's a great bloke of whom the fans have treasured memories.

David Norris is a player, and his possible signing should not be a PR move, but should be based on an assessment of the player he is now (as opposed to the player he was before). The problem is that few of us (if any) really knows what Norris can achieve as a player now. He's had injuries, and long periods of inactivity. How can so many be so sure he would be an asset?

My concern is that a relatively expensive (I assume) 2 year deal might prove to be significant budget wasted on a busted flush. I worry that he may not be up to playing full games on a regular basis, and that the return of another legend will end unsatisfactorily. I, like others, am concerned that the Duracell bunny that we loved may have a corroded battery. I may well be wrong, but at least I am admitting that I am unsure. Too many people seem to want this without weighing up the possible negatives.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
xmastree":17ooowky said:
Just feel that those posters with a nostalgic leaning are searching for any excuse to justify the signing of DN.

I've certainly spoken out in the past against this nostalgic yearning from many Pasotites, but my post in this thread was entirely ambivalent - my point was that we signed an ageing (and certainly older than Norris is) Nalis from Sheffield United and it wasn't the worst signing we've made in the last 10 years. Signing Norris - or another experienced 30+yo midfielder from the higher divisions - could be a canny move from DA in an attempt to build a balanced squad.

Apr 1, 2009
Quinny":7uhj042g said:
xmastree":7uhj042g said:
Just feel that those posters with a nostalgic leaning are searching for any excuse to justify the signing of DN.

I've certainly spoken out in the past against this nostalgic yearning from many Pasotites, but my post in this thread was entirely ambivalent - my point was that we signed an ageing (and certainly older than Norris is) Nalis from Sheffield United and it wasn't the worst signing we've made in the last 10 years. Signing Norris - or another experienced 30+yo midfielder from the higher divisions - could be a canny move from DA in an attempt to build a balanced squad.

My point was not really aimed at the ambivalent (which is where I stand), it was aimed at those who appear certain that DN would be a good signing. Nalis was certainly an excellent recruit (and, according to my calculations, was 34 years and four months old when he first signed, coincidently matching Norris's current age!). I don't know what sort of player Nalis was in his youth, but many of those who flourish in their mid-thirties never had much pace to lose.

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
pilgrimage":7jytsib0 said:
Rumours & Conjecture or do the MODs know something different?

"Argyle Discussion
A board for general discussion about Plymouth Argyle, the new grandstand/HHP development, the AFT and the Green Taverners. Just for the summer credible rumours will stay on this forum"

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
xmastree":1l426ayq said:
Just feel that those posters with a nostalgic leaning are searching for any excuse to justify the signing of DN. Yes, he supported the club during administration and, yes, his signing would reach out to many fans disgruntled by the detachment suffered during the Sheridan era. There's no doubt that signing Norris would be popular amongst many who recall his immense efforts in a previous era. However, he shouldn't be signed because he's a great bloke of whom the fans have treasured memories.

David Norris is a player, and his possible signing should not be a PR move, but should be based on an assessment of the player he is now (as opposed to the player he was before). The problem is that few of us (if any) really knows what Norris can achieve as a player now. He's had injuries, and long periods of inactivity. How can so many be so sure he would be an asset?

My concern is that a relatively expensive (I assume) 2 year deal might prove to be significant budget wasted on a busted flush. I worry that he may not be up to playing full games on a regular basis, and that the return of another legend will end unsatisfactorily. I, like others, am concerned that the Duracell bunny that we loved may have a corroded battery. I may well be wrong, but at least I am admitting that I am unsure. Too many people seem to want this without weighing up the possible negatives.
^^^
with knobs on

If the manager believes that DN will make a positive contribution then I will be delighted to have him back but his signing must be on the basis of a future contribution not hwta he did for us in the past.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
I wonder given his injuries a 2 year pay as you play deal with a view of coaching moving forward? Who knows. Nalis and the great McCall were play makers and were never blessed with pace. Others did that for them. Norris on the other hand and one helluva engine. Could he cut it in the rough and tumble of L2? Does he have the guile to get by? An interesting rumour!