Does DA know what he's doing? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Does DA know what he's doing?

Feb 23, 2006
I am just waiting for someone to post the grass on the new pitch is'nt green enough and has only grown 2 centimetres since been laid !

Sep 15, 2012
Are you lot for real???
Never ever have I met such supporters.
Doom and Gloom all over the place.
I cannot believe it.
Your not supporters
Your whingers.
Supporters support and that includes the management team for gods sake.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Qoo3939L":2kozy18d said:
Are you lot for real???
I cannot believe it.
Your not supporters
Your whingers.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

FFS everyone , at least wait until a few league games have gone wrong before being so darned negative.

Oct 14, 2015
Funny thing is.....once the initial post went up I knew who would be mildly supporting of it and thankfully I wasn't disappointed....

To be honest Phil it wasn't a good question and surely you expected some kind of backlash because your assumption is based on no actual concrete evidence. Yes he's signed 12 players, some will become legends and unfortunately some won't. That's the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

We trusted Mr Adams last pre season and he brought in many good players and I admit one or two (Croll) who didn't live up to what we expected.

At this stage of the pre season build up I firmly believe he's knows 100% what he's doing and as such support his signings.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Welwyn Pilgrim":jd8c5ekd said:
Funny thing is.....once the initial post went up I knew who would be mildly supporting of it and thankfully I wasn't disappointed....

To be honest Phil it wasn't a good question and surely you expected some kind of backlash because your assumption is based on no actual concrete evidence. Yes he's signed 12 players, some will become legends and unfortunately some won't. That's the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

We trusted Mr Adams last pre season and he brought in many good players and I admit one or two (Croll) who didn't live up to what we expected.

At this stage of the pre season build up I firmly believe he's knows 100% what he's doing and as such support his signings.
It was a perfectly valid question from philevs who is a genuine fan.

Where exactly is your "actual concrete evidence" to support the statement that "... I firmly believe he knows 100% what he's doing and as such support his signings". Adams wasn't good enough last season and he might not be good enough this season either. We all hope for the best but one or two among us are more realistic, only time will tell.

I am not worried that we have signed mostly journeymen League 2 players. History tells us that virtually every team promoted from this level has been full of such players who have been moulded together into an effective team unit by a good Manager and Wimbledon were yet another example of that.

That is why the Manager is so important at this level and why there questions hanging over Adams. Is he up to the task of getting us promoted?

I sincerely hope that you are right in your assumptions but for each of us at this stage it's just a matter of opinion, nothing more.

I've not read any replies to this thread but I am amazed at the impertinence of the question! This could only happen on social media. In what walk of life would you raise this question? Your surgeon, your doctor, your manager!

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Green Seasider":32ducsxq said:
I've not read any replies to this thread but I am amazed at the impertinence of the question! This could only happen on social media. In what walk of life would you raise this question? Your surgeon, your doctor, your manager!
If a Prime Minister or a President can be publicly questioned, why can't a mere Division 4 football Manager?

Oct 31, 2015
Qoo3939L":2adhvteu said:
Are you lot for real???
I cannot believe it.
Your not supporters
Your whingers.

Best post on this thread by far. I cant believe some of the threads that have been started. We are a 4th division team with a healthy 4th division budget. We wont be signing Championship and top quality 3rd division player. The manager has to find those players on the fringes that can cut it and maybe take us forward. Lack of promotion last year cost us McHue,Nelson,Wylde and Reid but at the end of the day those players were part of a squad that capitulated after Christmas and didnt turn up at Wembley.

Give the new team some bloody support and lets see what emerges.

Dec 21, 2015
philevs":2fvfyfr9 said:
12 new signings as of today, 18 July. Does DA know what he's doing? Most importantly, will we go up this season?

I have very reluctantly come to the conclusion that I don't think he does know what he's doing, when it really comes down to it.
Therefore, I don't think we will go up. But I would love to have a different opinion, and I would love to be proved wrong in 10 months' time!
I think I'm as 'patriotic' to the cause as anyone else on here. However, I am not 'blindly' faithful!

This is how I personally see things - based on last season and this close season.
How about any of you, how do you see things?

I would love to know as somebody else asked... what you are basing your opinion on ?

1.. plucked the idea from thin air and thought that's a good idea

2.. based on fact from 17 days of pre season training and a dozen new players ?

3.. based on the fact that we finished in the play off places last season and are undeafeted in pre season ?

4.. from a bare bones squad he inherited and now dismantled to reassemble with lesser players than we had ?

5.. gut feeling ?

What ever it is... I like to go with facts and the facts so far are

1.. released players that didn't want to be here

2.. rebuilding a squad that is able to cope with the physical demands of league 2

3..rebuilding a squad with depth and versatility

4..building a squad of players he personally has prior knowledge of their abilities

5.. keeps all transfer dealings quiet until complete (last minute change of minds excused)

6.. using pre season to test new formations

7.. using his skills to make Plymouth Argyle a force for the coming season

8. Signed a ST that cost over 2.5m a few seasons ago

Call me an optimist but I believe DA knows exactly what he is doing based on fact, not a plucked from nowhere brain fart

Apr 29, 2016
Based on his past record and what he has achieved in his first season in the EFL I am happy to say that he seems to be going in the right direction. Haven't agreed with all of his actions but that's football, we would all make slightly different changes at different times. He had largely signed players that he or Craig Brewster have known and he had done this when most other managers have said that it was pretty impossible to attract players to the west-country. I am excited by the new season, even though McHugh will be a big miss. If he went for less money for footballing and family reasons though, I would be happy to release anyone who wasn't committed to the cause! Good luck DA, we all need a bit of that at times!!

Feb 8, 2005
Does DA know what he is doing?

What a stupid question!

He is a football manager. A successful football manager, albeit in Scotland.

The game doesn't change.

Last season he did very well with what he had on the books.

Half the team were not of his choosing, but he made the most of what he had.

We were top before Christmas, top of the league, yes, TOP OF THE LEAGUE.

But our squad got injured, important personnel were out for a long time, and we slid out of the automatics. Our squad wasn't up to it.

But half the squad was not of his choosing.

He still did well, but not just quite good enough.

This season he has had the opportunity to pick his own players, his own squad.

He knows what he wants. He knows what the Club wants. He knows what we want.

Promotion - nothing else will do.

His contract is up at the end of the season. He knows what he has to do to get it renewed.

Does Mourhino know what he is doing? Does Wenger know what he is doing? Does Gardiola know what he is doing?

Who'd be a football manager? You'd have to be very, very thick skinned, especially with the type of supporters that make most noise on this site.

Are we supporters, or fans, or just critics looking for a way to get our names on the threads every time.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Promotion has been the priority in the last two seasons but, unfortunately, last season we fell at the very last hurdle. I don't know if it will be third time lucky but I am convinced that we have a young manager who will do all in his power to try to achieve promotion this season. He has shown drive, commitment and enthusiasm and has settled in the area.

Despite criticism that he does not give youth a chance, I believe that, given time, he will give some of our youngsters their opportunity to prove that they are good enough.

He has taken on many new signings and will need time to develop them into the team that will be the first 'Derek Adams' team and he will be judged on their success or failure over the 2016/17 season.

Understandably, supporters who have been through the problems of recent years are impatient for success.

To already suggest that he doesn't know what he is doing is very unreasonable and there are no grounds to suggest that at present. My biggest concern is that, if he is successful with Plymouth Argyle, his ambition will take him away to a much bigger club in England or Scotland.

I am prepared to be patient and hope that our gradual progress over the period since administration will continue.

Sep 6, 2006
TonyD":3one8egr said:
philevs":3one8egr said:
12 new signings as of today, 18 July. Does DA know what he's doing? Most importantly, will we go up this season?

I have very reluctantly come to the conclusion that I don't think he does know what he's doing, when it really comes down to it.
Therefore, I don't think we will go up. But I would love to have a different opinion, and I would love to be proved wrong in 10 months' time!
I think I'm as 'patriotic' to the cause as anyone else on here. However, I am not 'blindly' faithful!

This is how I personally see things - based on last season and this close season.
How about any of you, how do you see things?

I would love to know as somebody else asked... what you are basing your opinion on ?

1.. plucked the idea from thin air and thought that's a good idea

2.. based on fact from 17 days of pre season training and a dozen new players ?

3.. based on the fact that we finished in the play off places last season and are undeafeted in pre season ?

4.. from a bare bones squad he inherited and now dismantled to reassemble with lesser players than we had ?

5.. gut feeling ?

What ever it is... I like to go with facts and the facts so far are

1.. released players that didn't want to be here

2.. rebuilding a squad that is able to cope with the physical demands of league 2

3..rebuilding a squad with depth and versatility

4..building a squad of players he personally has prior knowledge of their abilities

5.. keeps all transfer dealings quiet until complete (last minute change of minds excused)

6.. using pre season to test new formations

7.. using his skills to make Plymouth Argyle a force for the coming season

8. Signed a ST that cost over 2.5m a few seasons ago

Call me an optimist but I believe DA knows exactly what he is doing based on fact, not a plucked from nowhere brain fart

1 to 8 are hardly earth shattering 'facts'.