Doubting Fans... | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Doubting Fans...

Oct 5, 2013
Bristol Rich":12zgidua said:
Kentishgreen":12zgidua said:
I'm advocating that people who actually know something about a subject should be allowed to get on with it. Of course we can all opine as to whether we think they're doing a good job or not and we can express those views but let's not pretend that the average dockyard matey knows more about running a business than say James Brent does or knows more about football than say Derek Adams does. If they screw up then they're entitled to both barrels of course!

Well then by your logic you can't express an opinion supporting Adams because if you say we are not worthy you can't criticize the manager by the same logic your opinion supporting Adams means nothing because you are not qualified, so why do you even bother?

Brilliant logic! Love it.

Oct 5, 2013
demportdave":2v0lwcu4 said:
Kentishgreen":2v0lwcu4 said:
I'm advocating that people who actually know something about a subject should be allowed to get on with it. Of course we can all opine as to whether we think they're doing a good job or not and we can express those views but let's not pretend that the average dockyard matey knows more about running a business than say James Brent does or knows more about football than say Derek Adams does. If they screw up then they're entitled to both barrels of course!

In what way are the likes of Adams and Brent being prevented from "getting on with it" because of the views expressed on a fans forum which is of no consequence?

What is your point, are we allowed to comment on matters affecting the team and the club or are we supposed to say nothing regardless of what happens, good or bad? Perhaps you only approve of people posting supposedly positive comments.

Why do silly people like you say that any fan who expresses an opinion on a mere fans forum automatically equates to them saying they think they could run the club better than the likes of Adams and Brent? It's what football fans do the world over because they care about their club.

Out of interest, what do you believe constitutes a "screw up"?

Might it be blowing a 10-point lead over the final third of the season to throw away almost certain promotion and then sending out a team at Wembley who perform abysmally, or perhaps promising to build a new Grandstand but 5 years later there has been no progress with nothing likely to happen either well into the foreseeable future.

I think you make some excellent points.
Promotion at the end of the season is all that counts.
Until that is certain (or not), everything any of us says is merely opinion or conjecture.
Surely therefore, this is a great opportunity to practise tolerance of the views of others.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Balham_Green":ey746fy9 said:
Dave Summers":ey746fy9 said:
Oh the irony! :lol:

So show me where I've been abusive......

Balham_Green":ey746fy9 said:
So can you explain what's so funny? Or are you just a touch {Insult removed by Site Admin}?

Didn't have to look far - Jimmy Spencer thread.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Balham_Green":bd7xggmb said:
davie nine":bd7xggmb said:
I will repeat my post from a previous thread today.

Argyle win 6-0. "The opposition were the worst team I have EVER seen at Home Park".
Argyle lose 1-0 but hit the woodwork 3 times. "We were rubbish and can't get a shot on target".
Argyle win 1-0 but the opposition hit the woodwork twice. "We were dead lucky and should have lost".
Argyle draw 3-3. "Our defence was appalling".

We are entitled to be 'doubting fans' because we have so often flattered to deceive. However, we have all seen, or heard, comments like those above and they just make me wonder what our team has to do to make some supporters happy. If we win convincingly, the opposition was rubbish, if we win narrowly we were lucky, if we lose either way (convincingly or narrowly) we were rubbish. If our star player scores both goals we are a one man team who would fall apart if he got injured.

From what I saw of the extended highlights on Argyle Player we were not as lucky as some of the posters who attended the game have suggested. Both teams created chances and we converted one of ours whereas Blackpool didn't.

Let's move on and see how we do against Cheltenham and Cambridge at Home Park.

So watching the highlights is a better guide than actually being at the game is it? Many who were there expressed their concerns about the performance and that we won't get away with it against better teams. Are they all wrong?
the "many" don't know though do they?we won,lighten up and enjoy the deserved victory.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Metal_Green_Mickey":1xtr4a9m said:
Early days yet.

Play like we did today and we will lose more than we win.

You can't concede that amount of very good chances in a game and not be punished.

Whilst l think Argyle will get better as the season goes on at present l don't think they are better than mid-table team at present based on performances I've seen and the ones lve heard away from home.

Can't keep getting lucky. Eventually you will need to perform. 1 45 mins performance in 5 league and 1 cup game isn't a recipe for sustain success lm afraid.

Give it another 5-10 games.....they should have improved the consistency of their performances. If they haven't this thread will come back to bite you.
You can't concede that amount of very good chances in a game and not be punished. I wasn't there so have no personal comment to make on the game and the way it went. However, I think that if the game went as many said it completely disproves your theory. The result was 1-0 to us and despite the chances Blackpool are alleged to have had, it does prove you can concede chances and win. Indeed, it has happened in all of the hundreds of matches I have seen over the years. Every team conceded chances but goals are what counts. What a boring game it would be if no one conceded a chance. Be like watchinbg West Bromwich every week.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Balham_Green":37mjqxv1 said:
davie nine":37mjqxv1 said:
I will repeat my post from a previous thread today.

Argyle win 6-0. "The opposition were the worst team I have EVER seen at Home Park".
Argyle lose 1-0 but hit the woodwork 3 times. "We were rubbish and can't get a shot on target".
Argyle win 1-0 but the opposition hit the woodwork twice. "We were dead lucky and should have lost".
Argyle draw 3-3. "Our defence was appalling".

We are entitled to be 'doubting fans' because we have so often flattered to deceive. However, we have all seen, or heard, comments like those above and they just make me wonder what our team has to do to make some supporters happy. If we win convincingly, the opposition was rubbish, if we win narrowly we were lucky, if we lose either way (convincingly or narrowly) we were rubbish. If our star player scores both goals we are a one man team who would fall apart if he got injured.

From what I saw of the extended highlights on Argyle Player we were not as lucky as some of the posters who attended the game have suggested. Both teams created chances and we converted one of ours whereas Blackpool didn't.

Let's move on and see how we do against Cheltenham and Cambridge at Home Park.

So watching the highlights is a better guide than actually being at the game is it? Many who were there expressed their concerns about the performance and that we won't get away with it against better teams. Are they all wrong?
I have just looked at the Brief Synopsis thread again and, surprisingly, most of the negativity came from you, as usual. Others, with a more balanced view, were concerned about some defensive lapses but, apart from the header that bounced onto the bar, other chances were nullified by good blocking by Luke McCormick and excellent anticipation and recovery by Gary Miller.

Good defending to cover for mistakes by others indicates good teamwork. Also, the match day thread was dominated by some interesting exchanges between Phil Sloggett and TonyD but there were several opinions that we might 'nick it'. I'll settle for that at any away match.

Aug 5, 2015
What really yanks my chain Rich is that whilst everyone can express an opinion some people on this site think they know better than professionals when they are not even amateurs and express the view that only they can be right - and it happens on both sides of the argument. I hate cyber experts

Sep 28, 2003
London
Kentishgreen":1fm5eco3 said:
What really yanks my chain Rich is that whilst everyone can express an opinion some people on this site think they know better than professionals when they are not even amateurs and express the view that only they can be right - and it happens on both sides of the argument. I hate cyber experts

Here are some professional football managers for you:

Bryan Robson
Mick Jones
Les Reed
Joe Kinnear
Steve McClaren

Can we stop with this notion that every manager is always right 100% of the time? Every manager gets things wrong, and yes, sometimes people on a board as full of nonsense as this will sometimes be right when the manager is wrong.

You can feel however you like about Adams - but let's dispense with this idea that he (or any other manager) is some kind of oracle because he works with the players every day.

Jul 6, 2005
Kentishgreen":1iup9ajh said:
If you don't like the content on PASOTI and the fact that it gives fans the opportunity to express a view on all things Argyle (which is largely irrelevant anyway), perhaps you should keep away.

What is the point of a fans forum if people can't express their point of view?

You say that you "hate cyber experts". Does that also extend to the many people who phone in to radio shows or write letters to newspapers?

Is anyone allowed to express an opinion in your world, or perhaps you would rather there was no debate.

As a fan, what was your view of England's performance at the Euros?

By having a view, do you think that you know more than Roy Hodgson?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Andy Holland":3po7vp5d said:
Kentishgreen":3po7vp5d said:

Here are some professional football managers for you:

Bryan Robson
Mick Jones
Les Reed
Joe Kinnear
Steve McClaren

Can we stop with this notion that every manager is always right 100% of the time? Every manager gets things wrong, and yes, sometimes people on a board as full of nonsense as this will sometimes be right when the manager is wrong.

You can feel however you like about Adams - but let's dispense with this idea that he (or any other manager) is some kind of oracle because he works with the players every day.
Neither manager nor supporter is right 100% of the time. But I would hazard a guess that someone schooled in the professional game would be a a lot better than the average supporter 98% of the time. In any walk of life there is fallibility. I feel that your list tends to suit your opinion - Ferguson, Wenger, Gradi, Mourhino, Guardiola are/were right more often than they are wrong. In our case Dave Sniith, Tony Waiters and Paul Sturrock were right far more often than they were wrong. I doubt ANY supporter could have turned their sides around in the way that Waiters and Sturrock did from when they joined. Supporters picking football teams are like politicians in opposition - their theories sound fantastic but are never going to be tested.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
We do it all the time don't we? I'm always far more of an expert than the referees for example.

Football wouldn't be football without us 'knowing' we could do it better.

Reality is a completely different thing though.