Doubting Fans... | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Doubting Fans...

Aug 5, 2015
I'm advocating that people who actually know something about a subject should be allowed to get on with it. Of course we can all opine as to whether we think they're doing a good job or not and we can express those views but let's not pretend that the average dockyard matey knows more about running a business than say James Brent does or knows more about football than say Derek Adams does. If they screw up then they're entitled to both barrels of course!

Sep 6, 2006
Kentishgreen":2xbhkv2i said:
I'm advocating that people who actually know something about a subject should be allowed to get on with it. Of course we can all opine as to whether we think they're doing a good job or not and we can express those views but let's not pretend that the average dockyard matey knows more about running a business than say James Brent does or knows more about football than say Derek Adams does. If they screw up then they're entitled to both barrels of course!

Well make your mind up! How do you define 'screwing up'?

Jul 6, 2005
Kentishgreen":1zoftbrn said:

In what way are the likes of Adams and Brent being prevented from "getting on with it" because of the views expressed on a fans forum which is of no consequence?

What is your point, are we allowed to comment on matters affecting the team and the club or are we supposed to say nothing regardless of what happens, good or bad? Perhaps you only approve of people posting supposedly positive comments.

Why do silly people like you say that any fan who expresses an opinion on a mere fans forum automatically equates to them saying they think they could run the club better than the likes of Adams and Brent? It's what football fans do the world over because they care about their club.

Out of interest, what do you believe constitutes a "screw up"?

Might it be blowing a 10-point lead over the final third of the season to throw away almost certain promotion and then sending out a team at Wembley who perform abysmally, or perhaps promising to build a new Grandstand but 5 years later there has been no progress with nothing likely to happen either well into the foreseeable future.

Sep 6, 2006
Kentishgreen":2zbxmrdu said:
relegation or mid table mediocrity or administration. What's yours?

So if they finish midtable we then have permission to criticise... And you are happy with the play offs again? Which is the best I can see us doing.

Sep 6, 2006
Dave Summers":2jnewp7h said:
Balham_Green":2jnewp7h said:
Dave Summers":2jnewp7h said:
Oh the irony! :lol:

So show me where I've been abusive......

Ok...

Balham_Green":2jnewp7h said:
Since I Was 33":2jnewp7h said:
Should be noted there are some Argyle fans on here who let's just say don't always welcome or in some cases don't want an Argyle win...

What b&llocks.

So you don't think there is any difference between personalised comments and comments about a particular (and very silly) post?!

Jul 6, 2005
Kentishgreen":1w0kltk4 said:
relegation or mid table mediocrity or administration. What's yours?
Whenever teams like Portsmouth, Luton and Argyle are not promoted from the basement division, they have screwed up. Simples!

May 16, 2005
Elburton
Balham_Green":1i7cvgnb said:
Dave Summers":1i7cvgnb said:
Dave Summers":1i7cvgnb said:
Oh the irony! :lol:

So show me where I've been abusive......

Ok...

Since I Was 33":1i7cvgnb said:
Should be noted there are some Argyle fans on here who let's just say don't always welcome or in some cases don't want an Argyle win...

What b&llocks.

So you don't think there is any difference between personalised comments and comments about a particular (and very silly) post?!

Abuse is abuse, if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

May 1, 2011
Kentishgreen":3naz8ttz said:

Well then by your logic you can't express an opinion supporting Adams because if you say we are not worthy you can't criticize the manager by the same logic your opinion supporting Adams means nothing because you are not qualified, so why do you even bother?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I will repeat my post from a previous thread today.

Argyle win 6-0. "The opposition were the worst team I have EVER seen at Home Park".
Argyle lose 1-0 but hit the woodwork 3 times. "We were rubbish and can't get a shot on target".
Argyle win 1-0 but the opposition hit the woodwork twice. "We were dead lucky and should have lost".
Argyle draw 3-3. "Our defence was appalling".

We are entitled to be 'doubting fans' because we have so often flattered to deceive. However, we have all seen, or heard, comments like those above and they just make me wonder what our team has to do to make some supporters happy. If we win convincingly, the opposition was rubbish, if we win narrowly we were lucky, if we lose either way (convincingly or narrowly) we were rubbish. If our star player scores both goals we are a one man team who would fall apart if he got injured.

From what I saw of the extended highlights on Argyle Player we were not as lucky as some of the posters who attended the game have suggested. Both teams created chances and we converted one of ours whereas Blackpool didn't.

Let's move on and see how we do against Cheltenham and Cambridge at Home Park.

Sep 6, 2006
davie nine":3d0x8gxo said:
I will repeat my post from a previous thread today.

Argyle win 6-0. "The opposition were the worst team I have EVER seen at Home Park".
Argyle lose 1-0 but hit the woodwork 3 times. "We were rubbish and can't get a shot on target".
Argyle win 1-0 but the opposition hit the woodwork twice. "We were dead lucky and should have lost".
Argyle draw 3-3. "Our defence was appalling".

We are entitled to be 'doubting fans' because we have so often flattered to deceive. However, we have all seen, or heard, comments like those above and they just make me wonder what our team has to do to make some supporters happy. If we win convincingly, the opposition was rubbish, if we win narrowly we were lucky, if we lose either way (convincingly or narrowly) we were rubbish. If our star player scores both goals we are a one man team who would fall apart if he got injured.

From what I saw of the extended highlights on Argyle Player we were not as lucky as some of the posters who attended the game have suggested. Both teams created chances and we converted one of ours whereas Blackpool didn't.

Let's move on and see how we do against Cheltenham and Cambridge at Home Park.

So watching the highlights is a better guide than actually being at the game is it? Many who were there expressed their concerns about the performance and that we won't get away with it against better teams. Are they all wrong?

Aug 5, 2016
davie nine":soc28i1c said:

Having just seen the highlights, it's a borderline miracle we didn't concede. They carved us open so many times, and had half a dozen chances where they were one on one with McCormick.

Defensively we look frail. That stats show two clean sheets in two though, but I think we are riding our luck massively at the moment. We have a lot to improve on, otherwise when this luck runs out we'll get battered.