Errington v Sheridan | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Errington v Sheridan

Jan 27, 2012
Chris Errington is a good quality journalist. The standard of sports reporting in the Herald drops markedly when he is away.
Argyle rely on the paper for their advertising and publicity. They should make sure that there are plenty of stories for the back page. Previous managers have even written regular columns.
Sheridan must appreciate that football is an entertainment business and that he must be available for journalists. He strikes me as being overly defensive and suspicious of the media, although interviews should be a big part of his job because, as manager, he is the figurehead of the club.

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
gaspargomez":249zcpx3 said:
Chris Errington is a good quality journalist. The standard of sports reporting in the Herald drops markedly when he is away.
Argyle rely on the paper for their advertising and publicity. They should make sure that there are plenty of stories for the back page. Previous managers have even written regular columns.
Sheridan must appreciate that football is an entertainment business and that he must be available for journalists. He strikes me as being overly defensive and suspicious of the media, although interviews should be a big part of his job because, as manager, he is the figurehead of the club.
Sheridan has said when he is available for journalists; on a Thursday and post match on a normal (1 game) week. You don't see the likes of Fergie, Wenger, Martinez, Bruce etc more interviews than their pre and post match interviews. I only know 1 Premier League manager who writes regularly in a newspaper and that is Harry Redknapp.

Sheridan's first (and main) priority is to win football matches and he isn't going to do that by talking to the press every 5 mins.

Aug 11, 2013
Gaspergomez and Graham Clark have expressed exactly what I so very badly expressed in my posts. I bow to you Sirs.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Argyle's 'PR' is woeful at times, it really is.

I get this mental image of a massive great foot with a shotgun constantly pointed at it.

Graham's post is eloquent as usual and bang on in this instance, in my opinion.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
IJN":e7gpk11b said:
Argyle's 'PR' is woeful at times, it really is.

I get this mental image of a massive great foot with a shotgun constantly pointed at it.

Graham's post is eloquent as usual and bang on in this instance, in my opinion.

Let Charlie have a go!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I know that Rick Cowdery puts together the Official Programme, but does he have Press Officer responsibilities as well these days? If so, I would expect part of his brief would be to organise and control the press meetings. When you see the likes of Wenger, Rogers and Mourinho they always have their Press Officers sitting with them at the top table. I appreciate Argyle are not in the Premiership and the journalists there are in large numbers, however, a good officer can control meetings and help take the heat of the Manager, which in JS's case, would make it far more comfortable for him.
I know JS is not the best before the cameras, but at least he is better than Carl Fletcher was by a long way IMHO.

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
tigertony":29yn0wyh said:
Quite frankly I don't give a t0$$ about what Errington says. The Herald imploding won't affect Argyle. Press conference is Thursday so press conference is Thursday. I like the way JS keeps cards very close.

This.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Quintrell_Green":2b7qtty3 said:
I know that Rick Cowdery puts together the Official Programme, but does he have Press Officer responsibilities as well these days? If so, I would expect part of his brief would be to organise and control the press meetings. When you see the likes of Wenger, Rogers and Mourinho they always have their Press Officers sitting with them at the top table. I appreciate Argyle are not in the Premiership and the journalists there are in large numbers, however, a good officer can control meetings and help take the heat of the Manager, which in JS's case, would make it far more comfortable for him.
I know JS is not the best before the cameras, but at least he is better than Carl Fletcher was by a long way IMHO.
According to the OS, Rick is 'Head of Communications' with Rob McNichol being 'Communications Officer'.
:think:
Didn't Rick used to be a Journalist?. I'm sure he could 'communicate' with Chris if there was anything he desperately needed from the club :whistle:

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
I like this thread if nothing else its giving the Players a rest from all the bashing they usually get each week, either that or we've won a couple of games so all must be rosy again. :D

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
LG":3743v4ht said:
Quintrell_Green":3743v4ht said:
According to the OS, Rick is 'Head of Communications' with Rob McNichol being 'Communications Officer'.
Didn't Rick used to be a Journalist?. I'm sure he could 'communicate' with Chris if there was anything he desperately needed from the club :whistle:

Rick Cowdery used to be the football writer for the Western Morning News, i.e. he did Chris Errington's job for a different newspaper.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
The Doctor":g2ypvucw said:
LG":g2ypvucw said:
Quintrell_Green":g2ypvucw said:

Rick Cowdery used to be the football writer for the Western Morning News, i.e. he did Chris Errington's job for a different newspaper.

I hope Doc that you are not suggesting a conspiracy?

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Quintrell_Green":3p7t6soi said:
The Doctor":3p7t6soi said:
LG":3p7t6soi said:
Quintrell_Green":3p7t6soi said:

I hope Doc that you are not suggesting a conspiracy?

No, I am not.

Aug 15, 2008
Going back to the press conference being amateurish. If Dave Gibbins is there then it really is amateur hour. The guy gets on my nerves.

I know he is Spotlights Sports Editor/Chief Reporter but he doesn't strike me as someone who is into Sport let alone Football.

Knowing my luck he is probably a veritable walking Encyclopedia on all Sport. His appearance is finger nails on a blackboard to me though.

Sorry Dave you are probably a nice guy but do quirky stories of local interest and let someone else do Sport :)

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Verte":crvcl2zy said:
Going back to the press conference being amateurish. If Dave Gibbins is there then it really is amateur hour. The guy gets on my nerves.

I know he is Spotlights Sports Editor/Chief Reporter but he doesn't strike me as someone who is into Sport let alone Football.

Knowing my luck he is probably a veritable walking Encyclopedia on all Sport. His appearance is finger nails on a blackboard to me though.

Sorry Dave you are probably a nice guy but do quirky stories of local interest and let someone else do Sport :)
I love playing 'count the sports puns' when he's on.
:facepalm: