FA cup display | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

FA cup display

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Ade the green":2cfinkco said:
SwimWithTheTide":2cfinkco said:
Comparing standing at a football match to seat belts in cars quite frankly is the most ludicrous argument I've ever read.

In what way?

The comparison I make is that neither law was welcomed but as time has gone on there's no new/younger drivers that have ever driven without a seatbelt in much the same way there's very few new/younger football goers that aren't going to all seater grounds. With very few exceptions you tell me I'm wrong!

I thought it was a great comparison.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Lundan Cabbie":ma9hipiu said:
Ade the green":ma9hipiu said:
SwimWithTheTide":ma9hipiu said:
Comparing standing at a football match to seat belts in cars quite frankly is the most ludicrous argument I've ever read.

In what way?

The comparison I make is that neither law was welcomed but as time has gone on there's no new/younger drivers that have ever driven without a seatbelt in much the same way there's very few new/younger football goers that aren't going to all seater grounds. With very few exceptions you tell me I'm wrong!

Would the word 'analogy' be better than 'comparison'? I am not certain that it is, but I certainly get Ade the Green's drift.

Mar 18, 2014
the "bullpoo" law was introduced after Hillsborough. Why don't you popup to Merseyside and tell the families of those affected that it is bullpoo??

Jul 14, 2008
Vampires11":o4vka84i said:
the "bullpoo" law was introduced after Hillsborough. Why don't you popup to Merseyside and tell the families of those affected that it is bullpoo??

I'd quite happily tell them that there's nothing inherently unsafe about standing at football matches, just as thousands of fans do at lower league and non league grounds every week.

C

Cobi Budge.

Vampires11":3q07cczz said:

There's a huge difference between the dangerous conditions at stadiums (plus police negligence) in the 80's and people wanting to stand up at Wembley - which is no different safety wise to fans wanting to sit down.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Cobi Budge.":269hc0zy said:
Vampires11":269hc0zy said:

There's a huge difference between the dangerous conditions at stadiums (plus police negligence) in the 80's and people wanting to stand up at Wembley - which is no different safety wise to fans wanting to sit down.

Let's take the danger element away from the argument. Are your manners so bad you would deliberately stand up in front of someone obscuring his view?

This was actually something I thought yesterday when the cameras panned through the united fans and one group was obviously standing right at the front meaning everyone behind them had to stand whether they wanted to or not. Where was their choice?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Lundan Cabbie":j90z6cvu said:
Ade the green":j90z6cvu said:
SwimWithTheTide":j90z6cvu said:

In what way?

Well poo a brick, I best go get a mobility scooter. I'd hate to be caught standing or let alone WALKING in the high street! Thanks for the life saving advise LC.

Get a grip ffs.

Standing at football is NOT dangerous. Standing CAN be inconsiderate. Forcing someone to sit CAN be inconsiderate. Its as simple as that really. A bit of common sense and non-arseholery comes into it really. :thumbs: Enjoy the day you miserable gits. :scarf:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Not wearing a seat belt is not dangerous either. It is crashing without a seatbelt is when you have problems.

What he was getting at though is, if you have started driving since 1982 then you will not know what it was like to have driven without a seatbelt. The same thing applies to youngsters who have grown up in the all-seater era. Of course some might have visited terraces at lower league grounds for away matches but on the whole, most young Argyle fans will be conditioned to sitting down.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Fair point LC, but do you not feel that that conditioning is wrong? It's part of "modern" footballs vision. The sort of game that begins with a pop star introduction drowning out the songs of fans in the stands. Fans deserve the right to stand as much as they deserve the right to sit. While the segregation of those areas doesn't exist, it has to be self policed. And that in my opinion doesn't automatically give total right to those who want to just sit.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I do understand wanting to stand but as has been said it is not just doing as you please, you have to think of others. Nobody has "the right" to stand in a seated area, in fact just by entering a stadium you are accepting the stadium rules which include that you wont stand.

As for the show they tried to put on before the Cup Final, I couldn't hear most of it because we drowned it out with our own stuff ;)

H

Helston_Green

up_the_line":15vknyon said:
Helston_Green":15vknyon said:
Cobi Budge.":15vknyon said:
All for a decent display but I hope I'm not the only person who finds Crystal Palace's constant attempts to copy European ultras a little cringeworthy.

Not at all. Palace fans are renowned as up there with the best in the Premier League (although that's not saying much) so why would adding a bit of atmosphere and improving the spectacle be in any way cringeworthy? I've been to a few European fixtures including a Moscow Derby and on occasions it's been more entertaining watching the fans than the game itself.

A fellow European adventurer. I took in a Locomotiv v Spartak game a few years ago. What an atmosphere, frightening to some extent. Did Ferencvaros v Ujpest too, not for the feint hearted.

I was luckily enough to see Lokomotiv CSKA a few weeks back, finished 2-2 and there were literally fireworks in the stand and curiously a mosh pit, which I've never seen at a game before. Always had a soft spot for Fradi as a fellow team in green and hoping to do the Belgrade Derby at some point over the next few years.

P

Positively Green

SwimWithTheTide":39ht1tfu said:
Fair point LC, but do you not feel that that conditioning is wrong? It's part of "modern" footballs vision. The sort of game that begins with a pop star introduction drowning out the songs of fans in the stands. Fans deserve the right to stand as much as they deserve the right to sit. While the segregation of those areas doesn't exist, it has to be self policed. And that in my opinion doesn't automatically give total right to those who want to just sit.

The main point is being missed really. If you stand in front of someone in all probability you obstruct their view. Don't assume they are able to stand for the whole game. They have paid to watch the football. You can't blame them if they cannot see the action on the pitch if they then decide in future not to bother to spend their money on travel and ticket and all the extras. Next time you go to the cinema just ask yourself if you would continue to go if you couldn't see the film.
I cannot understand what is wrong with showing consideration to fellow Greens. Everyone's money is important to the Club - it is after all what will be paying the player's salary next season in League One.

:scarf:

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
No assumptions being made PG, as mentioned previously between ourselves there's a difference between won't and can't. I don't see why Seating should be given default ruling should a majority surrounding wish to stand, just because they can't be arsed to stand.

I think there should be consideration of standers as well as those sitting. We had our terraces stolen from us after all. So quite simple f##k the out of touch suits who told us we can't stand anymore and brainwashed through the media with nonsense of it being dangerous.

Enjoy the day. Please nobody ruin the atmosphere by being a grumpy git.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
There's a knock on effect that is completely out of your control though, ok the person behind you appears as though they just don't want to stand but could if you stood in front of them, you can see that, they aren't visually injured/disabled/elderly/a child but what about the person behind them or the person behind them etc. can you guarantee that if you stood up every person who is forced to stand as a result is standing in front of someone who can just as easily do 90 minutes on their feet?

It's not as easy as you'd think, you'd be surprised the number of young people in block 3 who are forced take a breather each game let alone somebody who isn't as young and healthy.

It's a courtesy to sit down and await for the person behind to stand, if they do fair enough you're pretty much ok but they sit down you have no idea of the reasoning or who is behind them and for a game like this where people have paid a fortune for a game they've been waiting 20 years for, nobody honestly wants to be the person who missed it because a chain of people stood in front of them and they had no way of preventing it or joining them.