Fans Forum with Argyle board 25th October (with video) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fans Forum with Argyle board 25th October (with video)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I would imagine the 1000 time was decided upon (if that IS the time) so it would give the GT's time to get the tent ready for the Fansfest.

When you think about it, 1300 hrs would be far easier for the board members to attend, as that's the time they normally arrive for the game.

Just an alternative viewpoint.

Apr 1, 2009
Most people feel we should have these Q and A's, but how many will actually turn up on Saturday? Not many I would predict.

Some will blame the lack of communication over venue and time and, yes, it's possible that the club doesn't want a big turn out. I don't think that many would have turned up anyway.

These forums are considered an essential part of "fan engagement" but do they engage many fans? They tend to happen early to avoid clashing with the fanfest and therefore fans have to commit virtually the whole day to Argyle - many simply can't afford the time. And to learn what?

Whether it be the AFT, the well-meaning but toothless PASB, or an open fans event, the upshot is much the same. James Brent will decide beforehand how much he is prepared to give away, and won't move on that. In the unlikely event of a major announcement, fans who don't attend will find out shortly afterwards anway. More likely there will be some "progress reports" inferring that unspecified progress has been made, and a few little titbits of positivity which, if there are minutely inspected, will actually mean next to nothing. If a questioner hurls a real grenade into the room (metaphorically of course), they will be told that commercial negotiations mean this cannot be discussed openly but fans will be updated soon. A standard excuse, although in fairness often a valid one.

What is certain is that at least one attendee will come away from the event singing JB's praises and saying how nice he is. They always do. For the record I'm sure he is, but that's hardly the point. JB's very good at these gigs. He turns on the charm and the plausibility. He talks apparent sense and gives people confidence in him. Whether subsequent actions match his words on these occasions is down to individual opinion.

If this sounds rather negative, then perhaps it is. It is also pragmatic. JB owns 95% of the club, a private business, and in most instances it is totally up to him what he chooses to tell his customers (or fans as we prefer to be known). He's shown in the past that if he is pushed (in his opinion) too far. then less communication rather than more will be the order of the day. He's quite entitled to do that, and it makes all this "fan engagement" a bit of a non event.

In my heart I believe these fans forums are good and should be held regularly. In my head, and being honest, I won't be there on Saturday.

T

Tim Chown

The AFT has been enquiring about the time and place of the meeting, and why it's not being advertised. As yet, no reply.

With form on the pitch on the up, it would be great to see some positive news from off the pitch as well.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Graham Clark":306mlwkg said:
The date of this meeting was announced nearly a month ago and is the first of three to be held between the Board and supporters as part of the 'promise' made by the Board before the start of the season. It is disappointing, therefore, that a time and venue is yet to be officially confirmed. It appears to be symptomatic of a general malaise that still infects some ares of the football club and ultimately the relationship between the owners and guardians of the football club and its supporters will suffer and it all seems so unnecessary.

James Brent has a commendable record for meeting supporters formally and informally and certainly his willingness to do so has extended way beyond that of previous owners. The same may not be said for some of the other Directors. Some have never attended an open supporters forum at Home Park and I hope, given the length of notice of the meeting they have all rearranged their diaries to be there to answer any questions supporters may have as to their role as non-executive Directors or shareholder.

The last open meeting was filmed and was made available on YouTube and I hope the same facility will be made available again for those unable to attend. I also hope there is a facility for supporters who, like me, cannot attend to submit questions in advance to be answered at the meeting.

The hopes and aspirations that emerged from the Guildhall meeting in January 2012 have largely evaporated for a variety of reasons that continue to disappoint. There is some bridge building to be done and trust regained and earned. Next Saturday would be a good starting point and I hope the opportunity is not spurned by either the Board or the supporters able to attend.
I think that's a good, well-balanced post and one I personally agree with.

As Tim says, enquiries have been made about the details of the meeting to get some clarity. If nothing else, it's important for the travelling fans from out of Plymouth to know about.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Tim Chown":dn2a76ey said:
The AFT has been enquiring about the time and place of the meeting, and why it's not being advertised. As yet, no reply.

With form on the pitch on the up, it would be great to see some positive news from off the pitch as well.

Agree with this. A bit more positivity around as we move into the play-off places, but, somehow this rather poor piece of management and organisation will, not surprisingly, lead to claims of "same old Argyle".

Accept this Board tries to engage more than previous regimes, but, in truth that isn't too difficult to achieve. As the Board promised an announcement on the ground redevelopment this month, the lack of communication and marketing of this meeting tends to naturally led to a negative conclusion.

Seen quite a few posts about the potential timing and the Fans Fest. With a tiny piece of planning surely it would have been feasible to link up the two events to allow fans to be at both with the bonus of ensuring a reasonable turn out at the Board's Fan Forum.

Hopefully lessons are being learnt from this episode.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
From the outset I have to agree about the jumbled way this meeting has been handled. The Club can and must do better in future.

However, we are in danger of losing sight of the big picture which is that we have an opportunity to ask questions of those responsible about for club. Despite some scepticism in the past, real people asking real questions of those who control our club is an opportunity not to be missed. But you have to be in in to win it, as they say. No point wishing you had asked this or that and then not turn up. For those fans who it is impossible to attend, I and Im sure others would happily ask their questions for them.

So Yes, its been badly handled but it is going ahead and for that we should take the opportunity with both hands and attend and ask the questions that matter to us!

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
It is at 10 and expected to last an hour... so there will be a mere four hours to hang around before ko of the Cheltenham game.
1130-1300 would be far more preferable surely?
Could this be reconsidered?

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Hopefully not. It suits both Ann and myself although we accept it is not convenient to others.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Green Rhino":1pkz7tjy said:
It is at 10 and expected to last an hour... so there will be a mere four hours to hang around before ko of the Cheltenham game.

I have no idea but surely JB has things to do before the game which is why the time is set as it is?

B

Baby Face Johnson

Pasties and Cider":18xdq6c9 said:
Green Rhino":18xdq6c9 said:

I have no idea but surely JB has things to do before the game which is why the time is set as it is?

It does seem a ludicrous time. I could get down from Swansea and be home again before kick-off :lol:

*If I left at 6am that is.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Again I repeat, that would not give the GT's the time to get the Fansfest ready.

Remember, they are still raising funds for good causes and it's 'their' tent in a manner of speaking.

More people want to attend FF's than Open Forums I would imagine.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
IJN":2ksa2fjg said:
Again I repeat, that would not give the GT's the time to get the Fansfest ready.

Remember, they are still raising funds for good causes and it's 'their' tent in a manner of speaking.

More people want to attend FF's than Open Forums I would imagine.
Unfortunately the 10am start time is too early for me, as i'm bringing (my) James and his mate along to the FF and the game on Saturday.
If the venue and start time had been announced for the forum earlier then I could have 'let them down gently'.
Nevermind, it'd be good if it was recorded, just like the last one. Perhaps another job for Charlie!