Fans Forum with Argyle board 25th October (with video) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fans Forum with Argyle board 25th October (with video)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The way forward could be a live video Q&A with the Argyle board.
The Herald held some video interviews with prominent Plymouth people a few years ago (I think Keith Todd took part in one) and it worked just fine.

The Argyle website/Argyle World could be used with pre-set questions and also live questions from fans through Skype or similar, or even just a fan phoning in with a question for the directors, it's still live and being watched by fans.
The venue wouldn't matter, just a convenient time for everyone to tune in and watch, a Friday evening before a home game for instance.
You'd just need someone controlling it and posing the pre-set questions and directing the live questions from the fans.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Good idea Posty but it would involve the Argyle communication department getting off their arse and doing some work for a change. :banghead: :banghead:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Yes Starnes not mentioning it is disappointing and probably gives an indication of how unimportant to the board the meeting is. Also without wishing to appear cynical the timing of 10am seems almost geared to keeping numbers to a bare minimum not that they would have been queueing out the door anyway. The good thing is that football matters seem to be taking higher priority to most fans at present which is a good thing important as these off field matters are.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
I have to say, I share Grahams disappointment.

Yes, its early (7am leave for me) and Yes it hasn't been advertised or promoted but you can make as many excuses as you wish the plain fact is there is an opportunity and to not take it is negligent in the extreme. More so if you haunt fans websites and other social media complaining about this that and the other.

Not everyone is in the country, not everyone is even in Plymouth but on a relative scale that is few people. Perhaps in truth, most people seeing an improved playing position have lost or forgotten their angst of past days, and months.

It is interesting to note that at this time there are threads about the AFT election which to date has not had a single post added. I chatted to Sam last week who I know is doing everything he can to get people involved. I believe there will be an election but only just:) But where are the big hitters? No where to be seen.

There is also a thread about fan involvement, but it begs the question, Who is really interested and more importantly, committed?

I hope a few more turn up tomorrow and we get beyond "Why did you call the meeting so early?" legitimate though that is. I fear a poor turn out will only convince the Board not to hold more meetings rather than hold them later.

An eternal optimist, I look forward to an open, probing and eventful gathering.

COYGs

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It may also reflect the lack of concern Tony.

When the initial AFT meetings were held, the first one at the Lower Guildhall and the big one at the Pavilions as examples, you could feed off the feeling of those two for days. It was palpable at the time.

These surely will just be run of the mill polite questions, maybe a few searching ones about 'what's happened about HHP' and that will be that.

If you're expecting some of the Armchair Politicians to turn up, then you're in a for a surprise.

I've never known it to happen yet mate.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Ian

You may well be correct, but as I say I am an optimist.

In fact I think I take my lead from JBs fine opening speech at the Guildhall. He clearly wanted a new relationship, he may now feel the need to review his outlook and options. I am sure he would wish to reflect what was said and measure it against where we are. Personally, Im sat here doing my tax return, Im sure JB would like to reflect his own balance sheet with the fans.

As long as the alarm goes off on time I will be there:)

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I think a lot of people have developed a cynical view of these exercises unfortunately. I know this will come as no surprise and I make no apologies for my jaded view but I see it as an opportunity (as per) for the club to trot out some vaguely 'feel good' but pretty ambiguous lines on the key topics whilst skilfully avoiding giving any actual concrete statements (pun intended).
eg. "When will work on the Grandstand start?"......"We're confident it'll start around or about x point"
eg. "Will we keep hold of our key players in January?"....."We're confident that the squad will remain stable this season and we'll help John Sheridan where we can"
...means nothing, can be taken in either a positive or negative light entirely dependent on one's (by now firmly entrenched) view of the club's communication with its fanbase / customers in much the same way as statements like "competitive budget" became the source of much conjecture due to its subjective nature.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
up_the_line":2uejgtt5 said:
I think a lot of people have developed a cynical view of these exercises unfortunately. I know this will come as no surprise and I make no apologies for my jaded view but I see it as an opportunity (as per) for the club to trot out some vaguely 'feel good' but pretty ambiguous lines on the key topics whilst skilfully avoiding giving any actual concrete statements (pun intended).
eg. "When will work on the Grandstand start?"......"We're confident it'll start around or about x point"
eg. "Will we keep hold of our key players in January?"....."We're confident that the squad will remain stable this season and we'll help John Sheridan where we can"
...means nothing, can be taken in either a positive or negative light entirely dependent on one's (by now firmly entrenched) view of the club's communication with its fanbase / customers in much the same way as statements like "competitive budget" became the source of much conjecture due to its subjective nature.

UtL

Like Ian above, you may well be right, but as he knows, I am an optimist. Thats not a blank cheque mind, one wasted morning and I won't do it again. But, I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. If nothing else, will probably catch up with a few fans Ive missed for a while.

Oct 24, 2010
Due to the timing and prior commitments it is unlikely I will be able to attend and I can't say that I am disappointed. The nature of these meetings is such that they are controlled from the stage and any difficult questions are charmingly given the straight bat. It was the same at the fan's meetings held by Guilefoyle and Ridsdale. It was quite impressive how they were expert at sidestepping difficult issues and allowing trivialities to dominate the proceedings, and James Brent exhibits a similar level of expertise in this area. At all these meetings I've left trying to assess what I have gained from being there - what do I now know that I didn't before the meeting and the answer has always been very little or nothing at all.

Jul 29, 2010
There's a growing sense of embarrassingly desperate 'Daily Mailism' breaking out on this thread....... "You should all be more angry about all this, grrr" :furious:

Well maybe the Green Army aren't nearly as angry as 'the shouty set' portray them as.

Maybe the usual suspects haven't read the mood of the room so well :oops:

Maybe folk are more educated and understanding of the situation Argyle remain in and are thus more patient with the club, more appreciative of what we've got and less expectant of utopia just now.

Just maybe.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
He's right though isn't he? It is the best selling newspaper by some way so clearly not all share your political leanings.