Graham Carey | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey

Aug 10, 2006
it's alright saying sign him up but he don't have to sign he know's he is having a good season and offer's will come, it's up to argyle to offer him as much as they can and hopefully he will sign.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Carey should be offered a new and approved contract now not wait until January.

Jul 29, 2010
In the absence of a whole heap of cash to throw at him one thing the club, and especially the fans could do is make him feel loved, make him feel wanted.

I could be wrong but I don't get the sense he's a 'cash at all costs' mercenary. Whenever i've seen him interviewed or happened to see him around the ground with his family he comes across as a very humble and honest individual, a family man. The sort of player you'd think would settle.

Yet he's had a seemingly nomadic career to date though, but nowhere with big bucks. For the talent he possesses that's a bit odd.

Only a suggestion but what possibly brings the best from him is not money or the pursuit of fame and glory, but being wanted and appreciated....basically being part of a 'family', right now, the Argyle family.

Obviously he needs to earn a wage and with feeling settled needs to come the security of a decent length of contract. But with GC's career I get the impression that he plays his best when he's happy, when he's 'loved'.

He needs a chant, he needs to know how much of hero he is to us. God knows we've been starved of mercurial talent for so long, he definitely an Argyle legend in the making if he stays around longer than a year. To that end I feel there is a part to play for the green army in keeping him here too, it won't just be money that persuades him to stay.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
X Isle":2sxi88wi said:
In the absence of a whole heap of cash to throw at him one thing the club, and especially the fans could do is make him feel loved, make him feel wanted.

I could be wrong but I don't get the sense he's a 'cash at all costs' mercenary. Whenever i've seen him interviewed or happened to see him around the ground with his family he comes across as a very humble and honest individual, a family man. The sort of player you'd think would settle.

Yet he's had a seemingly nomadic career to date though, but nowhere with big bucks. For the talent he possesses that's a bit odd.

Only a suggestion but what possibly brings the best from him is not money or the pursuit of fame and glory, but being wanted and appreciated....basically being part of a 'family', right now, the Argyle family.

Obviously he needs to earn a wage and with feeling settled needs to come the security of a decent length of contract. But with GC's career I get the impression that he plays his best when he's happy, when he's 'loved'.

He needs a chant, he needs to know how much of hero he is to us. God knows we've been starved of mercurial talent for so long, he definitely an Argyle legend in the making if he stays around longer than a year. To that end I feel there is a part to play for the green army in keeping him here too, it won't just be money that persuades him to stay.

..... It'll be his agent :)

Apr 1, 2009
oddball":3bzu6u4m said:
Lundan Cabbie":3bzu6u4m said:
Put him on ten grand a week, on a three or for year deal and then if someone wants him they'll have to cough up two or three million. It's the only way to get decent transfer fees now.

Cabbie....quite agree with your thinking,lets hope the Argyle board are on your wavelength,and I know they read this website,so maybe they are.......£10K a week has to be the
going rate for a player of his class....it would put off quite a few pretenders for his signature,and would guarantee a good transfer fee should he decide to move on...

It's one thing members of the Argyle Board reading this website - I'm sure that happens. It's quite another that they should use it for advice on how much to pay a player! Where are we going to get £10k a week to pay Carey on a long term deal? That's over half a million a year! Does no one recall how we got into trouble a few years ago with over-inflated long term contracts?

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
A footballers career is short players in the lower league in particular need to earn as much as they can whilst playing, chanting their name will not pay the rent, the club should reward most probably our best asset with an improved contract now.

Nov 18, 2011
xmastree":2ty23dpe said:
oddball":2ty23dpe said:
Lundan Cabbie":2ty23dpe said:
Put him on ten grand a week, on a three or for year deal and then if someone wants him they'll have to cough up two or three million. It's the only way to get decent transfer fees now.

Cabbie....quite agree with your thinking,lets hope the Argyle board are on your wavelength,and I know they read this website,so maybe they are.......£10K a week has to be the
going rate for a player of his class....it would put off quite a few pretenders for his signature,and would guarantee a good transfer fee should he decide to move on...

It's one thing members of the Argyle Board reading this website - I'm sure that happens. It's quite another that they should use it for advice on how much to pay a player! Where are we going to get £10k a week to pay Carey on a long term deal? That's over half a million a year! Does no one recall how we got into trouble a few years ago with over-inflated long term contracts?

Trouble is as well, if you hand a contract like that to Carey, Reuben will then quite rightly want one around the same mark and would point to all his goals he's scored for us in the last couple of years. Then Jervis would say that he's already scored 10 goals this season and should have a nice top up of his wages as well.

The club seems to have quite a firm pay scale right now and it wouldn't surprise me if Carey is already at the, or near the top of it. If you increase the pay scale then you may have to increase the wages of several players. If you have one player who's paid significantly more than the rest then it'll lead to a bitter dressing room.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
xmastree":52ayjn86 said:
oddball":52ayjn86 said:
Lundan Cabbie":52ayjn86 said:

You missed my point. If you want decent transfer fees when these players move then you have to show what their value is to your club and you do that by offering contracts that reflect that worth.

The club can only pay him what they can afford and after going through the administration nightmare, all Argyle fans should understand this totally. However don't moan when a player leaves for what are termed Argyle prices. Transfer fees are very much linked to the value of contracts.

May 1, 2007
The thing to remember Adams signings in some instances have played for him from more than one team and managed to get them to move a long distance so as long as Adams is our manager i would imagine players will stay loyal as long as we are progressing.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
Given our league position and Carey's relationship with Adams, it'd be a surprise to me if he left in January. Assuming (hoping) he's on an improved contract by then, a move to L1 could be viewed as a sideways step. Interest from Championship clubs could be a concern but I'm not sure many of them that would realistically be looking at him (bottom half, im guessing) would spend the money required in January.

Get him on an improved contract ASAP and I think we'd have little worries in January. Summer a different question but hopefully we're up a division by then and that could sway his mind on a potential move. :thumbs: :thumbs: :scarf:

Nov 18, 2011
bringonthemilkman":21bukuf7 said:
Moving can be a gamble as well...ask Conor Hourihane who might pass us on the way down at the end of the season

I'd argue that it's been a good move for Conor. His profile has raised a lot playing at a higher level, he's scored some screamers as well which has helped. I bet he's earning a fair bit more as well.

I'd be amazed if he was playing in League 2 next season, I wouldn't be surprised if a Championship club took a punt on him or a high end League 1 club such as Sheffield United.

Jul 29, 2010
bringonthemilkman":2ny5q1gv said:
Moving can be a gamble as well...ask Conor Hourihane who might pass us on the way down at the end of the season

Maybe a cheeky bid could be made :lol: