Graham Carey | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey

Aug 5, 2005
Ponty":3rgvm17q said:
Contracts aren't worth the paper there written on.
We could put him on ten grand a week for two years, but if somebody comes in and offers more in a higher division he could be gone.

But for a much bigger transfee fee than free.

C

C. Slade

Having only signed Alexis Sanchez in 2014, Arsenal are on the verge of extending his contract. Ignore the new projected weekly wage (£155k per week).
Assume they are doing it because he has proved to be a hard working, creative, entertaining professional who also scores great goals.
I believe Carey is currently worth as much to Argyle as Sanchez is to Arsenal. Let's extend his contract.
Long term we probably wont be able to keep him, but we can let him know how much he is appreciated and make it harder and more expensive for another team to sign him.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Quizmike":1f2h8qei said:
Ponty":1f2h8qei said:
Contracts aren't worth the paper there written on.
We could put him on ten grand a week for two years, but if somebody comes in and offers more in a higher division he could be gone.

But for a much bigger transfee fee than free.

You are spot-on there. The starting point for a transfer fee calculation would be current salary x. the unexpired portion of the contract.

Dec 2, 2005
London
So instead of us looking at this in an "OMG, Carey is playing well therefore he will leave in January" panic and instead envisage the scenario.

As Quintrell_Green notes a starting point for a fee would be wage x contract remaining. Given it is widely reported summer signings have option clauses for an extra year he has de facto 18 months left on his contract. I don't play football manager so I don't know the guesstimate wage they have. Lets go for £100k as a starting point (which would be around £1,250 p/w).

But we actually have a recent reference point in Conor Hourihane. He was our main source of goals/assists from midfield when he left for a reported £200k with 12 months left on his contract. So in Hourihane money Carey is worth £300k given the extra time on his contract.

Furthermore, the likelihood is Hourihane would have ran his contract down if he stayed so the club was in a much weaker position. We can keep Carey here 'til the Summer given we have the opportunity to sell him then; if he stops playing well the chances of anyone being interested then would decline.

Carey is three years older than Horihane was when he was sold, which would be a factor, but reality £300k is a conservative price tag.

So in terms of players in League Two who moved last January for money (see here) I count three. All were younger than Carey is now, had at least 18 months first team experience in League Two and went to clubs in the Championship or Premier League. The two in the Championship got subsequently relegated and now play in League One.

So basically we need a team in the Championship relegation scrap willing to part with over a quarter of a million for a player with little potential to improve and has had 6 months experience of English football two levels below.

Oh, and Carey would need to think moving to a club with a high chance of being relegated to League One from a club with a high chance of being promoted to League One, and away from a Manager he clearly likes playing for, is a good career move.

Forgive me for not being the least bit worried.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Any number of clubs could come in for Graham Carey in January..... Division 1 clubs looking for promotion, Championship clubs looking for promotion or indeed Championship clubs looking to avoid relegation. Graham was in the team of the week,which features championship,league 1 and league 2 players so he will have hardly gone unnoticed...If he goes in January so be it,if he doesn't well I fully expect he will help get the team promoted.....I'll just enjoy watching him,while he is here...the guy is pure class.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
It's really hard for us to get out of crisis mode - we have had such poo for five or more years that we can't yet see that actually, we are a really good club well worth playing for right now:

We are financially stable.
We have a Chairman who has become engrossed in the football and really rather likes PAFC.
We have a manager and management team who are, frankly, brilliant.
We have a superb squad, being carefully enlarged.
Oh yeah and we have a better than even chance of going out of this league upwards.

Carey is our quarterback - he is loved and is in danger of becoming an all time great. If I were him, indeed if I were any of the squad who are getting games at the mo, I would really want to stick around and I Would imagine our Manager and Chairman are on the case as they need to, in order to keep the ones they want.

As per Lost Pilgrim, there are many things to worry about, losing GC isn't one of them.

Apr 1, 2009
I'm not in the least bit worried. That's not because I think Carey will definitely stay - I think there will definitely be interest in him in January. However there's nothing I can do about it, and worrying is not going to help. If he goes we will move on without him. Yes I'll be disappointed, but I won't take on the stress of worrying about it.

A significant number of Argyle fans seem to be worriers. Even when things are going well, perhaps especially when things are going well, they find things to worry about. Why worry? There are things in life that I do worry about but whether a player, who is far too good for this league, stays at Argyle is not one of them. I thought our unofficial motto was " dont worry about a thing...".

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Green Rhino":3eq4saop said:
It's really hard for us to get out of crisis mode - we have had such poo for five or more years that we can't yet see that actually, we are a really good club well worth playing for right now:

We are financially stable.
We have a Chairman who has become engrossed in the football and really rather likes PAFC.
We have a manager and management team who are, frankly, brilliant.
We have a superb squad, being carefully enlarged.
Oh yeah and we have a better than even chance of going out of this league upwards.

Carey is our quarterback - he is loved and is in danger of becoming an all time great. If I were him, indeed if I were any of the squad who are getting games at the mo, I would really want to stick around and I Would imagine our Manager and Chairman are on the case as they need to, in order to keep the ones they want.

As per Lost Pilgrim, there are many things to worry about, losing GC isn't one of them.

Rhino....Graham Carey is well liked at HP. There's no doubt about that. After the last home game he gave away his pink boots to a young fan,which probably explains why his current boots are yellow. That aside, every player has his price,a fact which Derek Adams alluded to in a recent interview,so I am not going to be too shocked if he moves on in January......ps you could have said the same thing about Paul Mariner back in '76

C

C. Slade

memory man":1gij2waa said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34867683

Looks like Plymouth Argyle may be making a bid for Carey!!
Brilliant news!

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
we have got to get the three guys mentioned in the article signed up.what a great feeling to have these great professionals at our club. :clap:

May 8, 2011
I don't understand the near panic over Carey and Jervis. The football club has an option to extend their contracts which they can exercise at anytime up to June 30 2016. The question is when they are playing for us in League 1 next year will they be still good enough playing at a higher level to try to keep for longer.