Graham Carey | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I loved his one-two with Wylde for the second goal against York. A short passing play in a tight situation followed by Carey playing a long raking pass out to Wylde on the left and he then ran into the box for the return. 2-0. A very classy goal.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
PAFC95":164bqrox said:
Conor was rumoured to be wanted by Huddersfield in the summer for around £1/1.5m so I doubt he will be in League 2 next year

If Conor is valued at £1m,what is Graham Carey worth in transfer terms. That alone should set alarm bells ringing enough to get him signed up on a longer deal.If Barnsley are relegated then Conor will be off no doubt about that.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
PL2 3DQ":1lnimssc said:
I loved his one-two with Wylde for the second goal against York. A short passing play in a tight situation followed by Carey playing a long raking pass out to Wylde on the left and he then ran into the box for the return. 2-0. A very classy goal.

Good point Ian. Noticeable too that Greg Wylde is putting in some really good performances - he is consistently getting 4-5 good crosses in to the box every game. Simple stats say someone will get on the end of one or more of them (he actually picked Carey's run for the second yesterday). Added to that is his defensive work yesterday was a step up too - real determination and some good challenges too.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
oddball":2zyvm1hb said:
PAFC95":2zyvm1hb said:
Conor was rumoured to be wanted by Huddersfield in the summer for around £1/1.5m so I doubt he will be in League 2 next year

If Conor is valued at £1m,what is Graham Carey worth in transfer terms. That alone should set alarm bells ringing enough to get him signed up on a longer deal.If Barnsley are relegated then Conor will be off no doubt about that.
About the same.

Hourihane was a seriously good player when he left us and he's got even better since then.

Mar 23, 2008
X Isle":xphnu4xa said:
In the absence of a whole heap of cash to throw at him one thing the club, and especially the fans could do is make him feel loved, make him feel wanted.

I could be wrong but I don't get the sense he's a 'cash at all costs' mercenary. Whenever i've seen him interviewed or happened to see him around the ground with his family he comes across as a very humble and honest individual, a family man. The sort of player you'd think would settle.

Yet he's had a seemingly nomadic career to date though, but nowhere with big bucks. For the talent he possesses that's a bit odd.

Only a suggestion but what possibly brings the best from him is not money or the pursuit of fame and glory, but being wanted and appreciated....basically being part of a 'family', right now, the Argyle family.

Obviously he needs to earn a wage and with feeling settled needs to come the security of a decent length of contract. But with GC's career I get the impression that he plays his best when he's happy, when he's 'loved'.

He needs a chant, he needs to know how much of hero he is to us. God knows we've been starved of mercurial talent for so long, he definitely an Argyle legend in the making if he stays around longer than a year. To that end I feel there is a part to play for the green army in keeping him here too, it won't just be money that persuades him to stay.
Agree with that, he could really be part of something here or move elsewhere and sit on a bench which would stall a career which is now starting to flourish at a relatively late age. Every team needs a talisman, Luggys hard working and close knit team needing Friio's flair much as this team needs Carey's moments of magic.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
The thing that makes him (and our current side) so effective is movement. He pops up everywhere and has a fantastic engine allowing him to exploit tiredness in opposition defences. Combine that with a wonderful left foot and you have a great player for this level. For me, there is no doubt he can play a higher grade.

League One would be tougher - it was noticeable against Millwall that he dropped much deeper. That may have been a game plan but he was certainly nowhere near as advanced as against York. My suspicion is that the better defence closed the gaps and he retreated for space.

Anyway, we're blessed to have him and he's a joy to watch.

Sep 23, 2005
Frank_Butcher":jgxkezmi said:
The thing that makes him (and our current side) so effective is movement. He pops up everywhere and has a fantastic engine allowing him to exploit tiredness in opposition defences. Combine that with a wonderful left foot and you have a great player for this level. For me, there is no doubt he can play a higher grade.

League One would be tougher - it was noticeable against Millwall that he dropped much deeper. That may have been a game plan but he was certainly nowhere near as advanced as against York. My suspicion is that the better defence closed the gaps and he retreated for space.

Anyway, we're blessed to have him and he's a joy to watch.
Too true :)

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
He has a great chance of picking up a league title and medal if he stays here. Hopefully he has his head screwed on and will at least see this season out with us.

As Adams said, he's signed him 3 times already, so that suggests to me there's a strong bond between the two. Hopefully that'll influence any contract talks.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
..on the other hand if a team comes in for him in January,he could triple his wages overnight....

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Contracts aren't worth the paper there written on.
We could put him on ten grand a week for two years, but if somebody comes in and offers more in a higher division he could be gone.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
It would make sense, though, for a club to come in for Carey in January,when they will have a certain exclusivity,rather than wait for the summer when every man and his dog will come sniffing around.