Graham Carey | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey

Jan 27, 2012
Carey does things that our other players can't. He's crucial.

Argyle must try hard to keep hold of him, even if it means reducing the size of the squad to fund the wages.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i think argyle could try doing a "swansea" that is get him to sign a longer contract with us and give him a juicy signing on fee (wilfried bony style) in the full knowledge that he will almost certainly be sold for a much higher fee.

Apr 4, 2015
i hope we do offer him an improved contract and indeed i thought we had already approached him regarding a new contract and i also recall he has stated that he wants to concentrate on his football at the moment however i might be wrong. In other words keep his options open and see what offers come in for him presumably both from us and other teams which seems inevitable. I think we will have to keep our fingers crossed and hope we offer him all we can in january and hope that a championship club dont come in for him. I personally think he would go if a championship level club came in for him but would stay with us if any team below that level made an offer.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Steve Evans":reldsbgb said:
i think argyle could try doing a "swansea" that is get him to sign a longer contract with us and give him a juicy signing on fee (wilfried bony style) in the full knowledge that he will almost certainly be sold for a much higher fee.

This

B

Bonehead

We already offered him an improved contract in the summer which he declined(stating he wanted to keep his options open) in my opinion he'll be off in January.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
The Argyle board should make Carey an offer that he couldn't refuse and then look to build a dream team around him.The club can afford it. We have the second best home attendances in this division, which is even better than a lot of clubs in the league above,and our admission prices are not cheap,so yes the club can well afford it.Will the board be that forward thinking..I guess we'll find out in January.

Jan 27, 2012
I don't necessarily think he is Championship standard.

So Argyle are likely to be competing with the bigger teams in League One (and maybe the likes of Portsmouth, & Doncaster). I don't see why Argyle can't offer equivalent wages to most teams in League One- there are some exceptions like Sheffield united that are clearly much bigger clubs- but Argyle are one of the bigger outfits in the lower divisions (at least in terms of crowd sizes).

I dont think the finances are quite as rosy as the Herald stories imply. Argyle are still in substantial debt- just not to the football creditors. Plus Brent is unlikely to use his own money to fund things. So the budget is still clearly very tight. But even so, its worth pushing the boat out for this guy.

If they are serious about progression up the leagues then they need to hang on to important players like this. And as others say, there is always the prospect of a future transfer fee.

Apr 1, 2009
Where's he going to go in January? Is he good enough for a Championship club to think he can turn their season around? I doubt it. They will be looking for experienced Championship players or Prem fringe players. Would they really spend money on a journeyman league 2 player (albeit a very good one) who will be 28 just after the end of the season? Again, I don't see it.

Someone would have to offer him a lot more than Argyle are, as well as presumably a chance at a higher level. There are bigger clubs in League 1, but not many of them.

As to a fee, in theory Argyle hold all the cards, but in practice they don't. If Carey's head is turned in January and he wants to go, Argyle face the dilemma of holding a disillusioned player to the last 6 months of his contract, or taking what is on offer. Which won't be £500k.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Steve Evans":3ehkg1r5 said:

This would be the route I'd be looking into. Our best chance of keeping him is for him to see out this year and hope we are in League 1 come next season, the problem there is the risk of us doing the same thing as last year and not going up; suddenly our gamble sees us lose him for nothing having turned down the opportunity of any money in January.

As I see it a longer contract with an agreed transfer fee written into it keeps both sides happy. The fee can be set at a value we believe high enough to sell him for but not too high that he sees it as trapping him here. This protects us from losing him for nothing and at the same time gives him the option to leave he desires should we fail to go up.

This does of course hinder his chances in that some clubs will be put off by a fee at the end of the season but that is where a nice signing on bonus comes into play, we compensate him for putting off a few cheapskate Oxford style clubs that would have tapped him up if he had been out of contract.

Jun 22, 2015
he is our biggest asset in memory really. Not under 24, prime age, prime position, creating and scoring.

Fair play to them up the road for maximising the lad Grimes price. Can we do the same?

When you see what players are going for, id have a guess at a value of 600/700k, but can the club 'up' sell him?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Ollieargyle9":1t7b5r5i said:
Steve Evans":1t7b5r5i said:

This would be the route I'd be looking into. Our best chance of keeping him is for him to see out this year and hope we are in League 1 come next season, the problem there is the risk of us doing the same thing as last year and not going up; suddenly our gamble sees us lose him for nothing having turned down the opportunity of any money in January.

As I see it a longer contract with an agreed transfer fee written into it keeps both sides happy. The fee can be set at a value we believe high enough to sell him for but not too high that he sees it as trapping him here. This protects us from losing him for nothing and at the same time gives him the option to leave he desires should we fail to go up.

This does of course hinder his chances in that some clubs will be put off by a fee at the end of the season but that is where a nice signing on bonus comes into play, we compensate him for putting off a few cheapskate Oxford style clubs that would have tapped him up if he had been out of contract.

And if his agent is worth his weight, he will insist on a salary that goes with what they club are saying he is worth. All things are connected these days. You can't anymore just claim you want x amount of pounds for a player unless his representative is no good at his job.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Lundan Cabbie":1xvlzahs said:
Ollieargyle9":1xvlzahs said:
Steve Evans":1xvlzahs said:

And if his agent is worth his weight, he will insist on a salary that goes with what they club are saying he is worth. All things are connected these days. You can't anymore just claim you want x amount of pounds for a player unless his representative is no good at his job.

I took it as a given that as we offered him a contract extension 12 months prior to expiration of his current deal the salary on offer was already much better anyway.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Ollieargyle9":3t39z55h said:
Lundan Cabbie":3t39z55h said:
Ollieargyle9":3t39z55h said:
Steve Evans":3t39z55h said:

I took it as a given that as we offered him a contract extension 12 months prior to expiration of his current deal the salary on offer was already much better anyway.

I was referring to setting a transfer fee trigger into his contract. Too low and it's not any good for the club, too high and his agent will insist on a salary to match.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
oddball":8dzsbdnn said:
The Argyle board should make Carey an offer that he couldn't refuse and then look to build a dream team around him.The club can afford it. We have the second best home attendances in this division, which is even better than a lot of clubs in the league above,and our admission prices are not cheap,so yes the club can well afford it.Will the board be that forward thinking..I guess we'll find out in January.
how do you know the club can afford it please?